You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Here's a little tip for you all. A friend of mine has turned pro this year and is trying to make it on the Europro tour and Jamega tour. He has his first Europro qualifying event next week at the Players club and he said he is playing well and really fancies his chances. He is somebody who lives for golf and puts every bit of effort in so he will be 100% up for this.

He is currently going off at 66/1. I've had a couple of quid e/w but I might increase that after speaking to him directly. 

He played the open qualifying last year and missed out on getting to the final stage on count back so the kid can definitely play.

Anyway Matt Mumford - Europro qualifying - Players club - 66/1. (Think it starts Tuesday next week, 31st March and a 2 day event).

Little extra info, he currently holds the course record for his home course, he is also the club champion. This is the same course that the favourite (Martin Sell who is 8/1) plays at. 
  • edited March 2015
    Right, own up. Who lumped on him? He's gone from 66/1 straight to 40/1
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Arnold Palmer + Madeira Open):
    In recent weeks Kevin Na and Harris English have given me a good run for my money, but ultimately its the bookies that have run away with my money. I can't make up my mind as to if I should keep the faith, first reaction has been to look elsewhere. Valero Texas Open Matt Jones - 50/1, his last 3 tournaments suggest he's a man in form. I haven't seen too much golf recently but watch last weeks final round and thought Matt Jones hit some great golf shots (apart from the one where he put it in that garden for an OB and said a naughty word that Mark Roe had to apologize to us for hearing it). Won the Houston Open in Texas last year, could be about to win his second event in Texas. Martin Laird - 45/1, won this event 2 years ago and has been playing very well recently. Kevin Chappell -125/1, I had a look at the picks on here 12 months ago and both Neil and I backed Chappell in this event last year at 40/1 and 50/1 (I got the 50/1). Not that it mattered as Chappell missed the cut. Chappell has missed the last 3 cuts, however he missed 3 cuts before this event in 2011 and went on to finish 2nd. I wrote last year that the course should suit his game and stats, no time for studying this year, so I'll take me word for it and give Chappell another chance. I don't go back over the years on this thread too often, but interestingly ( for me anyway), was that I came across Splashies update to the thread title naming my turbo win in the main, exactly 12 months ago. As some golfers tend to play well at the same time of year, I'm off to see if I can duplicate that tendency on the poker tables and run into form or luck, just as I did 12 months ago and see if I can win the Turbo main again. EDIT: Came 14th in the Main Turbo last night, probably my best result in that even since I won it 12 months ago. Good Luck me and all!!!
    Posted by TheDart
    I thought I'd look back and see everyone's picks for last year too. Had a right chuckle to myself, the main topic of conversation was me fancying Charley Hull (Still do) and you fancying Graham McDowell. Think it must be something in the name Graham that gets you all flustered,

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Valero Texas Open + Trophee Hassan II):
    Right, own up. Who lumped on him? He's gone from 66/1 straight to 40/1
    Posted by FlashFlush
    On this occasion I'm not guilty Your Honour. I wouldn't even know what bookies would take the bets. Though as its u, I'd strongly suspect it's Skybet??

I was about to sound a note of caution though. Darty is (hopefully in one piece) flying over the Med' atm, and he'll spit his drink out when he reads this....... But he knows only too well about the perils of golfers twittering etc.... They talk a good game, the same way we do about poker. And it seems that 'next week' is THE week. They've  'found it' on the range etc... But what do I know? I'm just a 'twitter less fool'.

I'd also strongly suspect that they take very VERY few bets on these golf events. So ANY money, no matter how small will shift prices, as it would be easier to make more money contriving a result than the money on offer for winning it. 
  • edited March 2015
    Yeah I did think that would be the case regarding the odds being cut. Everytime I see him post about playing a tournament though, he does seem to be right up there. Whether its the club championships or bigger events. It may well be like how certain poker players will only pipe up if they get a win after the event and will never dare mention their losses or give updates during a game.

Fingers crossed for him though, he loves the game. He's only 20 so got loads of time to try and break through even if his first year doesn't go to plan.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Arnold Palmer + Madeira Open):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Arnold Palmer + Madeira Open) : Lol, wondered if you would go for Spieth again and why not! Those triple dip sandwiches on Man v Food always look mouth watering, so good luck with that. By the way your Texan in this event last year was Ryan Palmer......................just saying.
    Posted by TheDart
    Yeah I remember and if I hadn't already backed Zachery, I'd be on him. But if my 'Triple Dip Sarnie' comes in, and Mark Wallis wins The Trainers Champs tonight (long story), I'll add Palmer to my book for the week. 
  • edited March 2015
    'Triple Dip Sarnie' coming in??? Wowzer!!! Mr Triple Dip himself couldn't win at 1/20!! So in I went again..... And Poppy Bond 2/1.. Watersmeet 10/11.... And Whatasham 4/11 onto Mr Spieth @ 8/1, will be a 67.5/1 jobby.
  • edited March 2015
    Lol at a few posts there :)

Think I'd better keep quiet about reading historical posts on this thread, too many skeletons!

I did follow Flashes tip for his mate and snapped up the 66/1 yesterday morning.

Can't imagine it was solely my money that had the bookies running scared, though then again as Neil says, there probably isn't that much money placed on these markets, so it wouldn't take much.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Valero Texas Open + Trophee Hassan II):
    'Triple Dip Sarnie' coming in??? Wowzer!!! Mr Triple Dip himself couldn't win at 1/20!! So in I went again..... And Poppy Bond 2/1.. Watersmeet 10/11.... And Whatasham 4/11 onto Mr Spieth @ 8/1, will be a 67.5/1 jobby.
    Posted by joesman1
    If I'm not mistaken, me mentioning Triple Dip was enough to make a 1/20 shot fail.

However the above bet is looking good and you now have your 67.5/1 on Jordan Spieth?
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Valero Texas Open + Trophee Hassan II) : If I'm not mistaken, me mentioning Triple Dip was enough to make a 1/20 shot fail. However the above bet is looking good and you now have your 67.5/1 on Jordan Spieth?
    Posted by TheDart
    Yep believe it or not, u managed to get the shortest priced horse I can remember beaten. It's offiicial, you my friend are something special, in fact I'm pretty sure that u could stop a waterfall!! 
  • edited March 2015
    Meanwhile over The Pond, and thinking back to my message last week, I've backed Walker ew @ 25/1 with Boylesports, and also on Zach Johnson ew @ 28/1 (I won't touch Betfred who are a standout 35/1) who showed some form over the weekend. I'll DEFO be backing a Texan before tee off time.  GL all Edit:- Found my Texan.... Tried my best leaving him alone, but cannot, but also not prepared to back him at 8/1. At the end of the day, he's by far the most likely winner. Course form last year, massively in form this year. Went back to back pre Xmas. Having next week off so can focus on this week before The Masters. But as I said, didn't fancy 8/1 for some reason, even though he's only 4 points bigger for The Masters. So I'm on him @ 79/1. The only problem being that the following have to win too:- Triple Dip, Seven Nation Army, Tijan, Watersmeet, Aussies to beat India tomoz. Then finally Spieth.  Gl me as I'll need it. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Congratulations on yet another winner, keep up the good work.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic) : What price Walker this coming week??  Don't peak too soon lads 
    Posted by joesman1
    Must be allowed to highlight this one? He didn't play last week.... Always the case with me, climax far too soon. 
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic):
    In early this week to take the bits of Grillo @ 40/1 ew.... No doubt I'll follow it up with some others. Put an ew Lucky 15 on for the majors also today:- Spieth:- The Masters 16/1 Victor:- The Open 66/1 J Walker:- US Open 50/1 DJ:- USPGA 33/1 And topped up the bet on Victor for The Open, still @ 66/1- Ill join Terry on his boat if they all come in. Update:- The problem of playing poker in a foreign country is that u have too much time on your hands. Farmers Weekly  in the USA (boringly I know, but 1st tournie this year last week, and started to get his eye in during the final round, and showed back end of last year that he's the only player who can match Rory) Spieth 16/1 for a bit (stingy bookies) more @ 14/1 ew. Also ew double with Grillo 14/1 @ 33/1. (See below for reasoning why 16/-14/1 big value this week ala Rory last week) Finally, also backed Spieth ew @ 16/1 for The Masters. I fully believe by tee off time he'll be a clear 2nd fav 10-12/1 ish. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Had to get the highlighter out again.... (this is where a smug/smiley face would be). I have it on good authority from Mr Dart that Victor is sharpening his tools this week. I won't be backing him though. 
  • edited March 2015
    Houston Open

There's a new breed of golfer in 2015, they are called 'winners', its been on the cards for a few years but the Tiger era is officially over, the also ran's that tried in vain to compete with Tiger are reaching the twilight of their career, whilst picking up a few over due wins on the way.

Now we have possibly the most competitive era that golf has seen for years, with the likes of Rory, Spieth, Watson, Reed, Johnson, Walker, Day, Stenson, Horschel, Kuchar and even Snedeker all believing they can win each time they tee it up and each player invariably takes their chance when it comes.

The problem is the bookies are on to this and mark up said players at around 5/1 - 20/1, thus removing what punters like me used to perceive as 'value'.

With relative ease I could find a golfer that would place at odds of 50/1 or more, with gratifying satisfaction I could find a handful of winners a season priced anywhere between 50/1 - 150/1, but no more it seems.

But wait, its the Houston Open, a course set up to replicate Augusta, an event where players are caught between preparing for The Masters and still trying to win a golf tournament, so maybe just maybe this week could be a throw back to the good old days when a real good 'value bet' could be had and a tidy profit could be made.

Once again the bookies are all over the 'winners' in the field, with the first 5 in the betting priced at 20/1 or less, (much less).

So here goes.....

JB Holmes - 33/1, lost in a play off here in 2009, 8th in 2012, 12th last year. Two second place finishes this season.
    I'm waiting to see if Sky will mark him up at 40/1, if not I'll happily take the 33/1, ew first 5.
    Edit: On seeing the withdrawal of Henrik Stenson and the bookies trimming everyone else's odds, I got in quick to take the 33/1 still available. Meanwhile the SkyBet odds compiler is still on a nap.

Paul Casey - 66/1, had his qualification into The Masters confirmed last night, should be feeling on top of the world this week. He's won around here before (beat JB Holmes in playoff)  and already has a 2nd and 3rd place finish this year.

Nick Watney - 100/1, good course form and has played very well this season. Last chance to get into The Masters, he could well take it.

Graham DeLaet - 100/1, finished one shot off a play off here back in 2010, that was during a wet week, when the greens would have perhaps been a little slower than the usual 'as close to Augusta as possible' speed.

DeLaet has played very well here tee to green in his subsequent visits but has had far too many 3 putts on the slick greens to enable him to think about winning. The forecast this week has rain on a couple of days, a wet course means a lengthened course and slower greens, both of which would be in DeLaets favor. If the rain comes I'll be in again for DeLaet.

Russell Henley - 125/1, tied 7th last year, one of the best putters in the game, 125/1 right good proper value!

Danny Willett - 125/1, first time here, but is improving every week, unlikely to be bigger than 25/1 in a European event, the 125/1 is very generous.
  • edited March 2015
    Well done Neil, sounds like it was perfect timing.

I wasn't going to bet this week due to a frustrating week with the Horse and the Hoff, but as it's only the PGA tour this week I thought I'd lose a bit more money.

Carlos Ortiz - 100/1

Larry Oosthuizen - 33/1
  • edited March 2015
    Not a good round for Matt in the Europro qualifier. Well not the back 9 anyway! Would have been 1 of the leaders after 9 holes. I did worry when I saw the weather today. Last time I played with him I noticed he had a very high ball flight so with strong winds like this he was always going to struggle.
  • edited April 2015
    Not a good round for Matt in the Europro qualifier. Well not the back 9 anyway! Would have been 1 of the leaders after 9 holes. I did worry when I saw the weather today. Last time I played with him I noticed he had a very high ball flight so with strong winds like this he was always going to struggle.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Unlucky there Flash. 
  • edited April 2015
    I've not got a strong opinion this week. Always hard to work out what's best the week before a Major. I'm DEFO against Spieth. He missed the cut here last year, and by his own admission, this course is a bit long for him, and doesn't play to his strengths. One player who hasn't turned up yet this year, and maybe will use this week as a springboard is Rickie Fowler. So he's my main bet ew @ 25/1. Russell Henley is playing far too consistently to leave out, so he's in @ 66/1 ew. Finally Keegan Bradley ew @ 40/1. 

Gl all
  • edited April 2015
    FML just seen The Dart has Henley @ 125/1???
  • edited April 2015
    FML just seen The Dart has Henley @ 125/1???
    Posted by joesman1
    Yep its true Russell Henley 125/1 ew :)

Now all he has to do is finish top 5.

I literally placed my bets within minutes of the opening markets and with the early withdrawal of Stenson, followed by yesterdays withdrawal of Walker, it means the early bird really did catch the good stuff this week.

Probably should confess that on realizing before some bookmakers did, that Stenson had withdrawn on Monday, the greedy devil in me forced me to snap up the 20/1 ew still on offer with a couple of sleepy bookies for Matt Kuchar.

Getting second favorite at 20/1, makes me feel a little smug, watch Kuchar miss his first cut in god knows how many tournaments just to knock the smug smile of my face!

So with so much value locked up this week, now's the week for one of my picks to get the job done.

#please
  • edited April 2015
    Not sure if anyone has seen or not, but Jason Dufner and his wife are splitting up. She filed for divorce recently and apparently arrangements have already been made.

We all know what happened with Rory when he came out of his relationship. Now I'm not saying he will rule the world like Rory did. A: He isn't as good as Rory and B: Divorce and a relationship breakup are 2 totally differet things, but he is currently going at 150/1 with Vic and 100/1 elsewhere for the Masters, so could be worth a small e/w shout.

He isn't in the field this week, and missed the cut last week so who knows, but could be a great way to "Stick it in her eye"
  • edited April 2015
    Houston Open There's a new breed of golfer in 2015, they are called 'winners', its been on the cards for a few years but the Tiger era is officially over, the also ran's that tried in vain to compete with Tiger are reaching the twilight of their career, whilst picking up a few over due wins on the way. Now we have possibly the most competitive era that golf has seen for years, with the likes of Rory, Spieth, Watson, Reed, Johnson, Walker, Day, Stenson, Horschel, Kuchar and even Snedeker all believing they can win each time they tee it up and each player invariably takes their chance when it comes. The problem is the bookies are on to this and mark up said players at around 5/1 - 20/1, thus removing what punters like me used to perceive as 'value'. With relative ease I could find a golfer that would place at odds of 50/1 or more, with gratifying satisfaction I could find a handful of winners a season priced anywhere between 50/1 - 150/1, but no more it seems. But wait, its the Houston Open, a course set up to replicate Augusta, an event where players are caught between preparing for The Masters and still trying to win a golf tournament, so maybe just maybe this week could be a throw back to the good old days when a real good 'value bet' could be had and a tidy profit could be made. Once again the bookies are all over the 'winners' in the field, with the first 5 in the betting priced at 20/1 or less, (much less). So here goes..... JB Holmes - 33/1, lost in a play off here in 2009, 8th in 2012, 12th last year. Two second place finishes this season. I'm waiting to see if Sky will mark him up at 40/1, if not I'll happily take the 33/1, ew first 5. Edit: On seeing the withdrawal of Henrik Stenson and the bookies trimming everyone else's odds, I got in quick to take the 33/1 still available. Meanwhile the SkyBet odds compiler is still on a nap. Paul Casey - 66/1, had his qualification into The Masters confirmed last night, should be feeling on top of the world this week. He's won around here before (beat JB Holmes in playoff)  and already has a 2nd and 3rd place finish this year. Nick Watney - 100/1, good course form and has played very well this season. Last chance to get into The Masters, he could well take it. Graham DeLaet - 100/1, finished one shot off a play off here back in 2010, that was during a wet week, when the greens would have perhaps been a little slower than the usual 'as close to Augusta as possible' speed. DeLaet has played very well here tee to green in his subsequent visits but has had far too many 3 putts on the slick greens to enable him to think about winning. The forecast this week has rain on a couple of days, a wet course means a lengthened course and slower greens, both of which would be in DeLaets favor. If the rain comes I'll be in again for DeLaet. Russell Henley - 125/1, tied 7th last year, one of the best putters in the game, 125/1 right good proper value! Danny Willett - 125/1, first time here, but is improving every week, unlikely to be bigger than 25/1 in a European event, the 125/1 is very generous.
    Posted by TheDart[/QUOTE

Oi Oi!!! We have a newbie in the 'winners circle'!! Well done Mr Dart. A very nice return with Henley's wonder shot sneaking the full place return too.

• edited April 2015
    [[/QUOTE Oi Oi!!! We have a newbie in the 'winners circle'!! Well done Mr Dart. A very nice return with Henley's wonder shot sneaking the full place return too.
    Posted by joesman1

Thanks Neil and well done on your 66/1 full place and 40/1 share of a place, another winning week for you!
  • edited April 2015
    As its the masters I've had a little bet.

rory @ 6

bubba @ 11

dustin @ 19

walker @ 29

all £2 win

be lucky
  • edited April 2015
    The Masters

Well I was like a rabbit in the headlights with this years Masters ante post market, I couldn't make my mind up which way to turn and when I did it was too late.

When Neil committed early to Jordan Spieth, he asked me who I was on, at the time I said if I had to have a bet now it would be Jason Day at 22/1, I dithered and a couple of weeks late Day had won, and he was best priced 14/1.

Same for DJ, I reckoned a fresh and focused DJ could be a deadly combination, he was best priced 33/1 before he'd struck a ball this season.

I was keen on Henrik Stenson, a best priced 28/1, I stood back and watch the value go.

With Rory, Spieth and Bubba, all playing so well, it just didn't feel right to commit strong to any one player.

I will probably back one, possibly two of the above, if the bookies push them out a touch more in the build up to Thursday.

In the meantime, I went to the 'rag' market:

Branden Grace - 150/1, tied 18th on his debut in 2013, if he had matched Adam Scott's 69 on day 1, he'd have been in the playoff with Scott and Cabrera.

Even worse start to The Masters in 2014, where he carded an 84, he wasn't playing well in early 2014 but came back with the second lowest score of the day on round 2, to show that he clearly has the ability to play the course well.

In form this year with three wins ( Europe and SA) already, if he can avoid taking himself out of the tournament on day 1, he could have a good week.

JB Holmes - 100/1, I backed him before last weeks win in the Houston Open, his game should suit Augusta.

Russell Henley - 200/1, same as JB I backed him before last weeks Houston Open.

Missed cut in his first Masters, tied 31st last year, with his putting stroke, you just know he's going to compete around here once he's worked out the rest of the golf course, these youngsters are fast learners, so third Masters could see Henley improve his Masters record significantly.

Bill Haas - 125/1, first round leader last year. He's already won this year, good family pedigree at Augusta can only be good.

Matt Kuchar - 40/1, three top 10's in the last three Masters a relatively quiet season so far, hopefully he's timing his run to peak at The Masters.

Good Luck Everyone!

• edited April 2015
    Well done guys. I've had a busy Easter so not been online. 

I have my antepost bet on Dubuisson and a small bet on Dufner @150/1 hoping single life will encourage him. Other than that I think I'll just watch it as a neutral and enjoy the game a bit more. :)
  • edited April 2015
    I love the Masters, can't wait for it to start. I always seem to remember a star or major winner from the past always playing well in the openning round. So with that in mind i have a few £ ew on the 1st round leader market :
     Jose Maria Olazabel @ 250/1
     Fred Couples @ 80/1
     Martin Kaymer @66/1
     Ernie Els @125/1

Good luck all.
  • edited April 2015
    I never really post here, but i often read this thread with interest, I tend to only bet on the big golfing events so have picked 4 i like the look of here

Henrik Stenson @22/1
    Matt Kuchar @40/1
    Ryan Palmer @100/1
    Camilo Vilegas @400/1

Gl all
  • edited April 2015
    Just watched a bit of the practise for the Masters on the Range and despite Tigers recent problems he looks pretty comfortable and with no expectations on him think he was well priced. + you always get your moneys worth as there will be plenty of coverage on him ( at least for the first 2 days anyway)

Also gone for Kuchar as i,ve backed him a few times recently and still think its a matter of time before he wins something.

I,ve also put a lefty in as in the the last 12 years 6 have been won by them. The only one really in form atm is Bubba and looking back at some of the shots he,s played in recent years incl. that amazing hook shot  from the trees to bt ouztenhousen and his huge drive on the 13th last year where he just had a wedge shot into the par 5 he has to be considered favourte imo

US Masters 2015
    Matt KucharWinner48£2.00
    £94.00
    Ref: 48644008608M Matched: 16:49 07-Apr-15
    Tiger WoodsWinner48£2.50
    £117.50
    Ref: 48644008610M Matched: 16:49 07-Apr-15
    Bubba WatsonWinner12.5£7.00
    £80.50
    Ref: 48644008612M Matched: 16:49 07-Apr-15

Also had a few bets i had in recent weeks

£2 Gary Woodland - Paddy Power - 100/1

£4 Matt Kuchar Winner.co.uk 33/1

£5 Stenson - Boylesports 22/1

EDIT : 2 more bets that i just think are overpriced

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    US Masters 2015
    Sang-Moon BaeWinner460£2.00
    £918.00
    Ref: 48645332426M Matched: 17:13 07-Apr-15
    Keegan BradleyWinner90£2.00
    £178.00
    Ref: 48645332427M Matched: 17:13 07-Apr-15

RE-EDIT . As usual on big golfing events Coral are offering a "bet £10 pre tournament on outright winner  and get £10 in play" so decided to put another £10 on Bubba and hope Rory or Jason Day gets off to a bad start so the odds might drift a bit for the in-play bet. Just think Jordan Speith has a lot more expectations on his young shoulders this year from last year and will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Bubba Watson12/1Outright - Win Only - 09/04/2015
    Stake £10.00
    Estimated Return:£130.00

GL and enjoy

EDIT : Just placed my free bet of £10 on Patrick Reed. Unfortanetly i put the bet on at 55/1 as he was preparing to take a put from aroung 10feet on amen corner so as it went in the price went from 55,s to 45,s.

He was partnered Spieth in the Ryder Cup and there wasn,t much between them. Just hope he can keep his emtoins in check as he can get quite passionate - £10FB at 45/1 at Coral

• edited April 2015
    Well most of my hopes rest on Mr Spieth ante post ew @ 16/1 (top 5 - I think). I've added Reed win only @ 40/1 and ew @ 35/1 (top 7). Zach Johnson ew @ 100/1 (top 7). Victor Dubuisson ew @ 100/1 (top 5). Then Victor top European ew @ 25/1 (top 4). And finally Victor again top Continental European ew @ 10/1 (top 3)

Gl all