You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Return of the Jac

Comments

• edited February 2017
    There's someone far more qualified than me who could help you here, hello hendrick62!

If we're being kind, I have a fairly agricultural swing.

But, a few basic things that we think we do but often don't*

Really look at the ball. Sounds so obvious but so many golfers have their head up in the air at moment of impact.
    Take the club back slower.
    Don't try and hit it too hard.
    Be realistic about your game. If you're 200 yards away from the green in the rough, how often do you hit it? 1 in 10? On the other occasions you can get yourself into trouble and take a 6. Sounds boring but wedge, wedge and a putt for par isn't so bad.

*I make all these mistakes
  • edited February 2017
    Think i stuggle with the 'be realistic' part of the above.

Although it does lead to some of the best shots I've ever played.  There were two shots the other day i'd never be able to repeat.

The first was in the rough about 120 yards away from the green but with about a 40 foot tree right in front of me (one of those firs so no low punt available).  Playing partner kept telling me to play sideways to fairway and then up to the green.  I of course ignored this and played a rather ridiculous flop shot which was a 100/1 to get over the tree in front of me.  I connected perfectly and it miraculously it made it over the tree and up towards the green.  I felt like Tiger in his prime until the ball fell 10 yards short and got plugged in the front bunker.  Took 4 shots from there.

The 2nd was kind of similar.  Par 5 - 3rd shot into the green, but I was way to the right in the rough with no site of the green at all.  Playing partner was in same location and punted sideways to get clear angle in.  I of course ignored his lead and went for glory.  I chose the wrong club and over hit the green by 30 yards - hit a rock wall and it bounced back onto the green, stopping withing 10 foot.  I missed the put - but that nots the point.

Perhaps I should be more boring.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac:
    Think i stuggle with the 'be realistic' part of the above. Although it does lead to some of the best shots I've ever played.  There were two shots the other day i'd never be able to repeat. The first was in the rough about 120 yards away from the green but with about a 40 foot tree right in front of me (one of those firs so no low punt available).  Playing partner kept telling me to play sideways to fairway and then up to the green.  I of course ignored this and played a rather ridiculous flop shot which was a 100/1 to get over the tree in front of me.  I connected perfectly and it miraculously it made it over the tree and up towards the green.  I felt like Tiger in his prime until the ball fell 10 yards short and got plugged in the front bunker.  Took 4 shots from there. The 2nd was kind of similar.  Par 5 - 3rd shot into the green, but I was way to the right in the rough with no site of the green at all.  Playing partner was in same location and punted sideways to get clear angle in.  I of course ignored his lead and went for glory.  I chose the wrong club and over hit the green by 30 yards - hit a rock wall and it bounced back onto the green, stopping withing 10 foot.  I missed the put - but that nots the point. Perhaps I should be more boring.
    Posted by gazza127
    That's the trouble. Boring is boring.

It's like poker. I'd lost a few dyms last night so I tilt regged the QuickDraw. I'm a massive dog in that field but I had my 1 in 10 and got a result. Far more fun :)
  • edited February 2017
    Golf is meant to be fun, playing correctly isn't always fun. 

I would however say that learning to hit the ball a bit better does give you a slightly better chance of actually achieving some form of success with the crazy shots even if it still is a 1 in 100 chance.

In short find someone locally to give you some good lessons, it will definitely help, same way we improve our poker.
  • edited February 2017
    Never hit the heights of Hendo or Jac on the golf course, but definitely think a course of lessons is worth the money.

Important to have a consistent swing with a method you get in your head and train your body to repeat.

Another tip would be get to the course early and spend some time warming your swing up and having a bit of time on the putting green. It can make a huge difference to starting hitting the ball cold and trying to pick the pace of the greens on the course. 

I have ruined many a round with a poor start.

• edited February 2017
    Played a bit tonight.
    Dyms were about breakeven and I played 3 mtts
    Came 2nd in plo8 game. Don't know what I'm doing so I just raise a lot. Be interested in thoughts on final hand.
    Blinds 800/1600
    I'm playing approx 19k and he has around 35k
    I min with KK23 and he 3bets. I 4bet shove. Ok?
    I was in great shape v AK89 but there was a pesky A on river and no low.

Came 10th in £3rebuy

32nd in £11bh
    Exit was a bit annoying. 2 limps and I 5x out of bb with KK
    Get flatted and it goes in on J94
    He has J9 :)
    Was chiplead pot

Not to worry. £50 up on night is decent

• edited February 2017
    I'm waiting for you to take a bad beat from a villian holding K9.......it's really going to bite
  • edited February 2017
    Knackered After a fairly late night I teed off in the dark at 7 this morning. Didn't play as well as the other day but had a bit of luck. Round in 80 so very happy with that. Derby haven't conceded 3 or 4 this weekend either so all good
    Posted by Jac35
    Must be really chuffed to have actually played a game and kept a clean sheet then?
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Must be really chuffed to have actually played a game and kept a clean sheet then?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Sod off
  • edited February 2017
    Mini tilt
    Won 2/3 dyms
    Bust mini to a limp call from 10 7
    Prio freeroll was going very well. Got very lucky early on and was Top6 stack mostly.
    With 13 left i isolate a short stack shove and then i thought the bbs call was pretty average.
    Was looking good for a while :)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Jac35 Small blind 300.00 300.00 11036.00 coo1-um Big blind   600.00 900.00 23668.00   Your hole cards 9 9       pnin All-in   1692.50 2592.50 0.00 robtim Fold      Jac35 All-in   11036.00 13628.50 0.00 coo1-um Call   10736.00 24364.50 12932.00 Jac35 Show 9 9     coo1-um Show 6 6     pnin Show A 2    Flop     6 K 9       Turn     5       River     A        

• edited February 2017
    Bleak, dude. ul. 
  • edited February 2017
    Think I'm done with live for a while 
    Done another £295 tonight 
    I'll spare you the details:)

• edited February 2017
    Think I'm done with live for a while  Done another £295 tonight  I'll spare you the details:)
    Posted by Jac35[/QUOTE
     rough with the smoothe mate you know how it works
  • edited February 2017
    Absolutely mate
    In the scheme of things it's matters not one jot.
    Few things on my mind today
  • edited February 2017
    Interesting read and a few good golf tips :)

Good luck on the tables Jac!
  • edited February 2017
    Weird!
    I somehow won £32 tonight. Have no idea how. Played bad and ran pretty bad early on. Won a few games and then kept getting teased. I'd need to win the last game to book a win Dev style and then I'd lose it and reg another 5 or so.
    Got there in the end.

Shouldn't have played last night and shouldn't have played tonight. Head in the wrong place. Played to relax and it doesn't really work like that sometimes.

Pen has just started getting a feeling of her eyes pulsing and moving around a bit. It sounds a lot like Nystagmus.

"Nystagmus is a vision condition in which the eyes make repetitive, uncontrolled movements. These movements often result in reduced vision and depth perception and can affect balance and coordination. These involuntary eye movements can occur from side to side, up and down, or in a circular pattern."

She rung the MS nurse and it appears that there is no real treatment for it. It could be transient and it could be permanent. Aside from how horrible it would be for here to live with, there are really severe implications as well. She'd be no longer able to drive and so essentially housebound without me there. She's also have to give up her job.

Life can be very unfair. I abuse my body all the time. Drink, smoke and eat rubbish
    Penny has never smoked, has a drink about twice a year and has always ate healthily. And before MS used to keep very fit.

Sorry about being so miserable here. Just worrying times

• edited February 2017
    Weird! I somehow won £32 tonight. Have no idea how. Played bad and ran pretty bad early on. Won a few games and then kept getting teased. I'd need to win the last game to book a win Dev style and then I'd lose it and reg another 5 or so. Got there in the end. Shouldn't have played last night and shouldn't have played tonight. Head in the wrong place. Played to relax and it doesn't really work like that sometimes. Pen has just started getting a feeling of her eyes pulsing and moving around a bit. It sounds a lot like Nystagmus. "Nystagmus is a vision condition in which the eyes make repetitive, uncontrolled movements. These movements often result in reduced vision and depth perception and can affect balance and coordination. These involuntary eye movements can occur from side to side, up and down, or in a circular pattern." She rung the MS nurse and it appears that there is no real treatment for it. It could be transient and it could be permanent. Aside from how horrible it would be for here to live with, there are really severe implications as well. She'd be no longer able to drive and so essentially housebound without me there. She's also have to give up her job. Life can be very unfair. I abuse my body all the time. Drink, smoke and eat rubbish Penny has never smoked, has a drink about twice a year and has always ate healthily. And before MS used to keep very fit. Sorry about being so miserable here. Just worrying times
    Posted by Jac35

Ghastly news, potentially.

Life is not fair, is it?

Fingers crossed it is not Nystagmus, or that it is transient.

• edited February 2017
    Hang in there bud.  Life is so fookin cruel at times x
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear Jac x
  • edited February 2017
    sorry to hear this hope it isn,t what you say it could be , you have to look after her , which you will no doubt , life is testing and puts things into perspective . take care mate
  • edited February 2017
    Sending best wishes to you both.
  • edited February 2017
    I can understand what you are both going through.
    I've watched my Mother in Law slowly going through the MS downward slope.
    Saying that she was diagnosed in her 30's and she's over 70 now, so plenty of years to share.
    Best of luck to you and your family.
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear your bad news.

All the best to you and your family.
  • edited February 2017
    Hoping for the best Paul, sorry to hear your news.
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear about Penny, hopefully it will turn out to be a 'blip' and not a long term issue.

My other half was a similar story, in her 30's, non smoker, non drinker, sporty, vegetarian, not overweight etc etc ........ got cancer. She's better now by the way. I hope it all works out for you.
  • edited February 2017
    Really appreciate your good wishes chaps.
    Thank you

If i shouldn't have played the last couple of nights then i absolutley shouldn't have played tonight.

Managed to misclick 3 times in 5 minutes to cost myself games which was a bit annoying.

Went deep in the 2 of the 3 mtts i played. In the 9.30 i had my usual KK bust against Q7.
    Played the megastack for about 9 hours after regging 1 hour in and came 10th for just under a fiver profit. Personally i'm not sure that it's so awesome

Somehow only lost £29 tonight so i'll look at it all as a win :)
  • edited February 2017
    I'm retiring from poker.

Well, until the end of the month :)
    Please tell me off if you see me on any tables
  • edited February 2017
    I'm retiring from poker. Well, until the end of the month :) Please tell me off if you see me on any tables
    Posted by Jac35
    A 4 day coffee break then. ;)

I don't think your mind was on poker last night Paul.

By way of something positive, thanks for the help, support & tips you have given to me as I try to navigate the shark-infested  NLF waters. You've been a real help.  
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : A 4 day coffee break then. ;) I don't think your mind was on poker last night Paul.   By way of something positive, thanks for the help, support & tips you have given to me as I try to navigate the shark-infested  NLF waters. You've been a real help.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    It's been a pleasure 
    I've always been very knowledgeable on American Football
  • edited February 2017