You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Return of the Jac

Comments

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac:
    ^^^^^ Don't disagree with much of that Paul, & I do understand the frustration. It frustrates me more than it frustrates you, believe me. I've lived & breathed Sky Poker with a passion for 11 years, so yeah, it matters to me. I really don't mind discussing it with guys like you & Marky who understand "balance". It's Team Moan I won't engage with, as they don't ever acknowledge context or balance. Nothing is ever completely black & white.     Livid if there is a decent Prio Prom in May? Oh dear...... Mark is intelligent? For a Scot, yes. You? Lovely bloke.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I will gratefully accept this :D There have been a few intelligent Scots over the years.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Again, that's all fair and reasonable. Sky Poker DO look after it's players better than most, if not all, other sites. They do need to sort a few things out though. I see folks going loopy over, say, a Freeroll or satellite. In the context of the overall site, a Freeroll or Satellite that goes wrong is hardly the end of the world is it? (Think of what % of a weeks business a single satellite is. Start with the basis that ALL MTT's "only" equate to one sixth of site traffic). They should not go wrong, no, that's acknowledged, but let's keep a  sense of perspective. It's hardly the end of the world, especially if you are in the habit of reading the World News each day.   And there are a ton of positives which are unique to this site. Team Moan never acknowledge that.   Anyway, I think we generally are on the same page. It's a great site but it needs to do a few things better.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Agreed

Well I am being asked why I haven't started to get ready for the wedding we leave for in 50 minutes and why I am just messing about on the 'poker forum thingy'.

Guess I better go get my kit on!

Hope you have a cracking day lads, I will just go wonder what I may be missing out on in Prio next month and consider the logistics of a 7.5k player point finish to the month.
  • edited April 2017
    Also I'm baffled as to why Sky can't spell out what the next months promotion will be for Priority  Surely it would incentivise people to put the volume in?
    Posted by Jac35
    Well if you were Sky Poker, you'd not want players to "cherry pick" the months they go for Prio, you'd want them to make Prio every month. So no, they have & will never give players x months notice of Prio Promos.

Only trying when there is something juicy on offer is hardly optimal for the Business.

Incidentally, I se a lot of Prio players complaining on the occasional months when there is not a specific Promo for Prio. Where did it ever say there would be a Prio Promo every month?

They spend x pa on Prio, & it varies from month to month. By missing some months, other months can be bigger & or better. It's exactly the same amount of money though, it's just not spent "in a straight line".
  • edited April 2017
    I guess there are different ways of looking at it. 
    Some players will juts make Priority regardless each month. I think that there are a lot of players who, like me, only get there some of the time.
    If I'd known that there was a good promotion in May then I would probably have played more.

Surely a win win?
  • edited April 2017
    I guess there are different ways of looking at it.  Some players will juts make Priority regardless each month. I think that there are a lot of players who, like me, only get there some of the time. If I'd known that there was a good promotion in May then I would probably have played more. Surely a win win?
    Posted by Jac35
    Exactly that. From the perspective of The Business, they (obviously) want players to make Prio every month, rather than just when there is a good Promo.  

PS - I never said there would be a "good Promo in May".
  • edited April 2017

Anyway, I must press on. It's been a good exchange of views, & I'll pass it on to those who make the decisions here.

It's really good to have a balanced debate about these things.

• edited April 2017
    Jac I am sure you are correct that alot of prio players make it every month.

The amount of occasionals I would expect to be fairly small in comparison - probably a consistent total number but with a different mix each month.

I am not neutral on the subject of priority. As I have never and may never qualify, it is much better for me when there are great promos for non-priority and priority are excluded from them.

I see your point (and Rose's on another thread) but I also see Tikays.

I have noticed then when there is about to be a really good priority promo it is usually hinted at in the priority section of the forum a few days before the end of the month to incentivise some to go for it.

Personally if I was in a position to be close to priority at the end of a month then surely it would always be +EV to go for it for the extra rakeback regardless of what may happen the following month?
  • edited April 2017

Moving on

I wonder if each generation say the same thing

"Life was so much more innocent when I was a child"

I'm sure every parent is the same. We watch Harry like a hawk.

Given the hideous things that we've read about in the news over the last few years, parents are more vigilant than ever with regard to their children's safety 

This is how it has to be. In some ways it's a shame too because it affects decent people who are simply nice.

I remember being quite good at tennis as a child. My teacher at primary school asked myself and another lad if we wanted to play against him and his brother on Saturday mornings. We did play and loved it.

That's could never happen now

The same teacher was a coach at Derby County. He used to get tickets and another teacher would go and take one of the school kids as well. 

That could never happen now.

I went to a game with Mr Collier. Deputy head. Gillingham in the old 3rd division. 3-3

At the end I followed him out of the ground but lost sight of him.

My Dad and Grandad were at the game so I knew which way they would walk back to the car. So I ran along that way and caught up with them. We stopped and 15 minutes later a breathless Mr Collier found us. I obviously didn't consider it at the time but It must have been the worst 15 minutes of his life. He'd taken a pupil to a match and lost him in he middle of Normanton on a dark Wednesday night.

When we were kids we used to get home and eat tea and go straight onto the park and play until it got dark.

The park is empty these days. Parents won't let the children out on their own and also they're quite happy to 'play' with their mates online instead. 

Necessary changes but I'm sure we had more fun

• edited April 2017
    Jac I am sure you are correct that alot of prio players make it every month. The amount of occasionals I would expect to be fairly small in comparison - probably a consistent total number but with a different mix each month. I am not neutral on the subject of priority. As I have never and may never qualify, it is much better for me when there are great promos for non-priority and priority are excluded from them. I see your point (and Rose's on another thread) but I also see Tikays. I have noticed then when there is about to be a really good priority promo it is usually hinted at in the priority section of the forum a few days before the end of the month to incentivise some to go for it. Personally if I was in a position to be close to priority at the end of a month then surely it would always be +EV to go for it for the extra rakeback regardless of what may happen the following month?
    Posted by Phantom66

If you are very close (say 9k+) then its probably +ev to get there by playing RR. If you are on say 7k then you need a good reason to push to get there. Also, should note the new priority rules where you stay in for 3months so assuming you didnt make it the last couple of months.

Within priority there are ranges of players and promotions will benefit different groups within priority. For lots of players there is no point them trying for certain promotions as they have no chance. Eg I have no chance if its a rake race because I play MTTs. Some players play at stakes which means they have no chance of competing against the big boys who can play similar numbers of tables at much higher stakes.

If I knew there was a relevant promotion then I might grind another game format like DYMs to make priority. If not I wouldn't bother because I know most promotions wont be of that much interest to me.

This isn't a negative thing it is just what it is, sky have a number of different groups within priority to keep happy. I don't expect many promotions to be geared towards me as MTTs make up a small % of overall games and its pretty hard for me or other MTT players to massively increase volume (and therefore get sky more rake).

• edited April 2017

^^^^

Stunningly perceptive post, most especially the last para.
  • edited April 2017

A Prio Promo for May is here, FREE PASS 
  • edited April 2017
    Agree with Tikay and understand why the powers that be don't want the following months priority promo to be revealed too early.

Also happy to disagree with Jaackson at any opportunity.
  • edited April 2017
    Agree with Tikay and understand why the powers that be don't want the following months priority promo to be revealed too early. Also happy to disagree with Jaackson at any opportunity.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thaanks
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Jac does anything to bump up the posts on his diary!:
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : If you are very close (say 9k+) then its probably +ev to get there by playing RR. If you are on say 7k then you need a good reason to push to get there. Also, should note the new priority rules where you stay in for 3months so assuming you didnt make it the last couple of months. Within priority there are ranges of players and promotions will benefit different groups within priority. For lots of players there is no point them trying for certain promotions as they have no chance. Eg I have no chance if its a rake race because I play MTTs. Some players play at stakes which means they have no chance of competing against the big boys who can play similar numbers of tables at much higher stakes. If I knew there was a relevant promotion then I might grind another game format like DYMs to make priority. If not I wouldn't bother because I know most promotions wont be of that much interest to me. This isn't a negative thing it is just what it is, sky have a number of different groups within priority to keep happy. I don't expect many promotions to be geared towards me as MTTs make up a small % of overall games and its pretty hard for me or other MTT players to massively increase volume (and therefore get sky more rake).
    Posted by MattBates
    Nice post sir 
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Jac does anything to bump up the posts on his diary!:
    This isn't a negative thing it is just what it is, sky have a number of different groups within priority to keep happy. I don't expect many promotions to be geared towards me as MTTs make up a small % of overall games and its pretty hard for me or other MTT players to massively increase volume (and therefore get sky more rake).
    Posted by MattBates
    I agree with most of what Matt says. I don't agree about the volume thing. For Matt, I am sure it's true-he plays a great deal on Sky. However, there are a lot of players who vary the amount they play on Sky considerably (me included). There are a lot of players who play on more than 1 site, and our contribution to rake can be affected considerably by what is on offer. That is, for example, why Sky always try and have something to work towards, be it a UKOPS or a Live Event, and why Priority has previously been geared to enticing people to play more.

My honest opinion is that Sky's biggest problem currently is making the lower level qualifiers run better. The 6pms run brilliantly, the 3pm/7.15 run well, but the rest are patchy at best. Getting 2 tables running for them has to be key. How about trying triple points on all qualifiers?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Jac does anything to bump up the posts on his diary!:
    In Response to Jac does anything to bump up the posts on his diary! : I agree with most of what Matt says. I don't agree about the volume thing. For Matt, I am sure it's true-he plays a great deal on Sky. However, there are a lot of players who vary the amount they play on Sky considerably (me included). There are a lot of players who play on more than 1 site, and our contribution to rake can be affected considerably by what is on offer. That is, for example, why Sky always try and have something to work towards, be it a UKOPS or a Live Event, and why Priority has previously been geared to enticing people to play more. My honest opinion is that Sky's biggest problem currently is making the lower level qualifiers run better. The 6pms run brilliantly, the 3pm/7.15 run well, but the rest are patchy at best. Getting 2 tables running for them has to be key. How about trying triple points on all qualifiers?
    Posted by Essexphil

To be reduced to double at a random time?
  • edited April 2017
    Golf clubs for sale
    One useless owner, nearly new condition, centre of clubs unmarked.

Derby won. Don't care

Played 2 little sessions of poker last night
    Couldn't hit a thing first time and did ok to just lose a buy in. Fared better 2nd time. Came across possibly the worst player that I've ever seen. He helped me get nicely up for the day.
    Played one mtt. Came 10th in £3 rebuy 
    Eggs Benedict earlier at the Cosy club. Best yet. Nearly on Turnberry levels.

On a bus right now, they go very slowly.
    Gonna play some live poker and hopefully not do £500 tonight  like I have averaged each night of live poker this year to date.
    Feel a bit tired so not confident.
    Brags, or more likely, rants, to follow
  • edited April 2017
    Golf clubs for sale One useless owner, nearly new condition, centre of clubs unmarked. Derby won. Don't care Played 2 little sessions of poker last night Couldn't hit a thing first time and did ok to just lose a buy in. Fared better 2nd time. Came across possibly the worst player that I've ever seen. He helped me get nicely up for the day. Played one mtt. Came 10th in £3 rebuy  .... Eggs Benedict earlier at the Cosy club. Best yet. Nearly on Turnberry levels. On a bus right now, they go very slowly. Gonna play some live poker and hopefully not do £500 tonight  like I have averaged each night of live poker this year to date. Feel a bit tired so not confident. Brags, or more likely, rants, to follow
    Posted by Jac35

• edited April 2017
    What car you driving these days Jon?
  • edited April 2017
    Well I think that qualifies as a good start

Call an utg 3x with J9cc for 600 on the button after 4 callers 
    Bb calls too.
    Flop
    10 9 9

Bb leads for 3000!
    Utg calls as does one other player 
    I call

Turn 
    J

Bb leads for 3000 and utg shoves for about 10k
    Other players rejams and I decide to call too

Bb folds
    They have KQ and 96 and are drawing dead :)
  • edited April 2017
    Live poker can be tough

Folds to me in cut off and I raise 45dd.
    Button and both blinds call

Flop
    A 2 10

Both check and I cbet
    Button calls and blinds get out the way

Turn 
    I give up. Button doesn't normally like to fold. He checks
    River 
    K

I check and button mucks 
    Says he doesn't want to show his hand and he knows I have AK
  • edited April 2017
    There's a guy who plays at Derby who's a reg. A really bad one. He plays in a backwards way. Aggressive with middling hands and then limps all his premiums etc

I was juts thinking about that before this hand.

Very lively player, the guy with the KQ in first hand 3xes to 1800. Bad reg flats.
    I have AQhh on button and 3bet to 7100.

Lively player snap folds and so does bad reg and I win a few easy chips. Well that's how I imagined it would go after lively player had folded.
    Instead bad reg shoves for 15100 and I have to sigh and call.
    He has AK and it's all over on the turn.

Not great from me.
  • edited April 2017
    Just shoved 6 bigs blind and got called by AK
    I had 63 and hit river

Next hand there is a call and an open shove
    I look down at aces

I win
    I have 175k and average is 125000

7 left and we've done a deal for an extra place and so I'm in the money

£821 up top
  • edited May 2017
    Chopped for £660
    Had it all in for the win with AK v 97 but that went pear shaped 
    Even stacks and monster blinds so it seemed ok. Didn't really want a £300 flip
  • edited May 2017
     Nice going Jac
  • edited May 2017
  • edited May 2017

Blessed, truly blessed.
  • edited May 2017
    Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, nicely done.
  • edited May 2017