You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg

Comments

• edited December 2011

This could be the end for McDonalds :(

GOOD LUCK BOTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Good luck you two i wish i was in on this sort of challenge it might keep me on track for my new years resolution.  I try to keep pace with you

Its all down to self control
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the comments and advice guys and as rancid says it is about adjusting our diet and not to just diet as it may become boring and tideous so we need to mix things up. 

Please feel free karlluke (same for anyone else) to post on this thread any goals you have and hopefully the advice on this thread will help spur others to lose weight. 

I know that now Scotty77 is an analyst he is looking to shed a few more pounds for TV purposes (cos he is a tv tart) so any tips you have Ryan on how you are getting on then lets us know :)  
  • edited December 2011
    they say that tele adds pounds on, and ryan isnt that fat imo. not as fat as you when you were on Dyl, i needed to buy a widescreen especially :)

+1 to thanks for comments, and any1 who wants to post their weight etc on this thread as it grows feel free!
  • edited December 2011
     You both should do a "Bear's Grylls"  and be Parachuted on to the Polar Icecap to live with the Inuit Eskimo Tribe.  The exercise you get trying to keep warm while digging the hole in the Ice to get dinner will burn off those excess calories and if you cant catch a fish you don't eat.  win, win,  don't you think.  Have lots more tips guys.?
  • edited December 2011
    i think i should be sent to a desert island with Cheryl Cole,  Beyonce and the page 3 girl from yesterday.

I would soon lose the weight imo

• edited December 2011
    If that were to ever happen Gregdonk then those girls would certinally know what varience and running bad is all about! 

Question for Tommy, are the additional rules going up today did you say or tomorrow?
    Greg is doing my head in on MSN about the additional rules! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg:
    i think i should be sent to a desert island with Cheryl Cole,  Beyonce and the page 3 girl from yesterday. I would soon lose the weight imo
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Which 1 would you eat first?
  • edited December 2011
    Great challenge and best of luck to you both!
  • edited December 2011
    Gregg if you get rid of the great big lump of fat between your shoulders you'll win without dieting.  this heffilump don't forget.!
  • edited December 2011
    If that were to ever happen Gregdonk then those girls would certinally know what varience and running bad is all about!  Question for Tommy, are the additional rules going up today did you say or tomorrow? Greg is doing my head in on MSN about the additional rules! 
    Posted by dylan12
    LMAO, oh the early joy of a New Years Resolution, all the enthusiasm it brings.

Rules

There will be no twists, you'll just be aiming at your ideal weight range as defined by the finest medical websites around (I will probably close the range a little at the edges to push you).  This is using the BMI.  This will be judged on percentage achieved towards the target, the one maing the biggest progress being declared the winner.  You'll get your individual ranges in the next few days after I get all of the info from you.

If you both hit this weight range (which I sincerely hope you both do, it is achievable within the timeframe) the tiebreaker will be on bodyfat percentage (while maintaining an ideal weight for the final weigh in at Blackpool, you can't hit it and shoot up).  This is the hard one and a real test of fat fighting.  So after the weigh in at the Blackpool SPT we'd toddle off to the nearest Boots, get you on one of those machines (50p a time I think, no worries, I'll pay) and judge your body fat.  Lowest equals best equals win.

Not only is this structure designed to be fair for the challenge, it is also aimed at getting you two as healthy as possible.  There is little point dropping down to an ideal weight only for that to be mostly fat.

The only other rules are regular updates on here and to keep it in the spirit of the game (no Boxer/MMA fighter weight 'cutting' before the final weigh in, no sawing a leg off etc).

Any other unforseen issues that arise will be discussed fully and I will make a judgement as fair as I see it.  I love you both like you were my children, I couldn't favour one ahead of the other.

Questions?
  • edited December 2011
    Seems very fair Mr Dyer and I look forward to the morning so that I can give you all the details you desire and for us to get our weight loss goals set, always nice to know what i am aiming for! 

I think after June wherever we are at it is then a case of continuing our weight loss if need be or maintaining our weight at that point for the rest of the year but that will be another bet no doubt :) 

P.S. Gregdonk is on makor tilt and snap went offline on MSN after Swansea scored, no doubt he will be comfort eating right now lol 
  • edited December 2011
    I love you both like you were my children, I couldn't favour one ahead of the other. Questions?
    Posted by TommyD
    How is this possible?

Where was Greg last night in the chatbox offering you support? 

• edited December 2011
    Greg's last meal...

Greg says:
     i ordered a fat boy pizza
     Large Pizza Meal
    +Large Italian Chicken Supreme™
    +Cheesy Garlic Bread (4 pieces)
    +Potato Wedges
    +Garlic & Herb Dip 

• edited December 2011
    Greg's last meal... Greg says:  i ordered a fat boy pizza  Large Pizza Meal +Large Italian Chicken Supreme™ +Cheesy Garlic Bread (4 pieces) +Potato Wedges +Garlic & Herb Dip 
    Posted by dylan12
    Tell him he forgot the Diet Coke.
  • edited January 2012

Name: Greg
    Height: 6 foot 3 and a half Inches (1.92 meters)
    Weight: 19 stone 8 pounds (124 kg)
    Wrist thingy: (can only just connect index finger and thumb)
    Current Bankroll: not enough lol

• edited January 2012
    Greg's last meal... Greg says:  i ordered a fat boy pizza  Large Pizza Meal +Large Italian Chicken Supreme™ +Cheesy Garlic Bread (4 pieces) +Potato Wedges +Garlic & Herb Dip 
    Posted by dylan12
    This is true, i ate the lot and it was fabulous

now the hard work starts here!
  • edited January 2012
    Great thread! 

Some good advice on here too guys. I don't profess to have any authority on the subject but do try and keep myself in shape. Do not starve yourselves and diet because the weight will come back quite quickly and easily once you let the diet slip even slightly, this is false weight loss. 

If your serious about this being a long term thing then it really is simple if you put the work in. Eat a light breakfast when you get up, this gets the metabolism working straight away, however a bacon and egg sandwich is not a light breakfast, try some cereal, or some toast or some fruit. Swap the full fat milk to semi skimmed, no need to go mental and go straight for the watery skimmed stuff, we are not trying to be size zero here. Same with the butter, get some 'light' butter, not the full fat stuff. Ideally, move to brown bread but thats not essential.

If this leaves you hungry mid morning, fruit is the way to go instead of crisps, biscuits, chocolate bars etc. I also take breakfast bars to work with me.

Lunchtime, instead of things like fish and chips, swap it for some steamed salmon and steamed veg if possible. If you eat at work take a salad with you and instead of mayo and sald cream, make your own dressing using a little olive oil, mustard and juice from a lemon. (loads of these recipes on the internet).

Again, afternoon snacks are fruit and nuts (no, not the chocolate bar, just actual fruit and some nuts!) rather than chocolate and biscuits.

Evening meal should be fairly light, especially if you plan a night on the sofa not doing anything.

Now the important part, excercise! You dont have to train for a marathon. I think it was Dylan who said he drove into town to the shops. As long as its not too far, walk to the shops, or drive some of the way to town and walk some of the way. Is cycling an option? You dont have to set the athletic world on fire, just do something everyday even if it is a decent paced walk for half an hour. Use the stairs instead of the lift, all the little extra exercise will add up and its suprising how easily the weight will drop. Half an hour a day doing something, anything, will do as long as it gets your heartbeat up. Obviously, the more you do the better and the quicker the weight will come off but if you go mental for two months and then slip back into a few bad habits then the weight will return.

As for alcohol, try an cut down a bit but we are'nt turning ourselves in to monks here, we can still party cant we? Just let the beer be a reward after a days excercise or something, try and earn it! The same goes for takeaways, no need to cut them out completely but let them be a reward for a good weeks work. Gregg, this does'nt mean you can order enough food to feed a small army like last night but yeah, ordering a pizza or a chinese is fine, just not half the menu every night! A takeaway on a Saturday night is fine if you have put the work in through the week, as a reward.

It really is a lifestyle change. You dont need to be too strict, everything in moderation is fine and your weight loss needs to be a slow but steady process for it to truly last. Once you get into the habit of improving your diet and exercising more then it soon becomes the norm. Earn your treats, and remember exercise is very important. It is down to your own personal determination to succeed and your discipline in sticking to what works for you!

Good luck guys! Sorry i rambled on for a bit.
  • edited January 2012
    That's a great post Dr Sharp, and helpful, ty
  • edited January 2012
    Name: Dylan
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 18st 6lbs
    Wrist Thingy: I can only touch my thumb with my middle finger. 

Very good post Dr Sharp thanks for that. 

Happy New Year Everyone and best of luck with the challenge Gregdonk. 
  • edited January 2012
    A mate of mine wanted to lose some weight a few years ago,Big John loved his food and beer and he couldnt think of anything he ate that he liked that was healthy except his breakfast which was cornflakes,so he ate nothing but cornflakes for 8 or 9 months breakfast dinner and tea..he lost six stone,true story,massive Stoke fan,not so much now..gl guys its gonna be hard
  • edited January 2012

I`v been trying to lose weight for years but the wife still insist`s on hanging around.

GL HOGGERS AND DYLAN

• edited January 2012

Not being an authority on the subject, but having lost nearly 3 stone since August, can I offer the following advice.

If you lose a lot in the first week, that is normal, you are not the best dieter ever! You will use the loo a lot more as you reduce your intake and you burn fat. Drink plenty of fluids to keep you hydrated.

Use water to replace the snacks between meals as your brain will think the fluid is food and help you reduce calories. 

When plating up meals, use a smaller plate as the eye sends a message to the brain and you think the portion is large in proportion to the plate.

Again drink water with your meal as this will help fill you up.

Eat a little, a lot, rather than large meals. Lots of fruit and veg and drink lots of water!!!

Don't over exert yourself with daft exercise regimes, do something you enjoy or something you don't normally do. Easy things like walking or swimming are just as effective.

Take things easy so you keep the weight off, rather than trying to lose it fast.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2012
    Name: Dylan Height: 6ft Weight: 118st 6lbs Wrist Thingy: I can only touch my thumb with my middle finger.  Very good post Dr Sharp thanks for that.  Happy New Year Everyone and best of luck with the challenge Gregdonk. 
    Posted by dylan12
    FYP
  • edited January 2012
    Guys

In the middle of doing your target ranges.  Even though you should be dieting and alcohol should now be a no no I would sit down and prepare one last stiff drink when you read them.
  • edited January 2012
    Guys In the middle of doing your target ranges.  Even though you should be dieting and alcohol should now be a no no I would sit down and prepare one last stiff drink when you read them.
    Posted by TommyD
    Oh FML :( 
  • edited January 2012
    Ok guys, here goes.  I calculated your ideal ranges from healthcentral.com

Greg

You weigh 274lb.  When I fed your details in I got this:

Ideal weight range is 196 - 215.6 lbs. (89.1 - 98 kg.).
    You are overweight by 58.4 lbs. (27 kg.).
    You may wish to consult with your physician for medical help.

Dylan

You weigh 258lb. When I fed your details in I got this:

Ideal weight range is 178 - 195.8 lbs. (80.9 - 89 kg.).
    You are overweight by 62.2 lbs. (28 kg.).
    You may wish to consult with your physician for medical help.

I'm not going to shave these ranges for the purposes of this bet, they are set and they are now yours. Now for the good news, these are within reach for the Blackpool SPT. That is nearly halfway through the year. I have been told by people who go to fat clubs that you should be looking at losing 3-4 pounds a week, this makes both of your targets achievable. My advice would be:

No booze at all, they are just empty calories.
    Listen to the above excellent advice regarding healthy eating.
    Exercise is important not only to aid weight loss but more importantly to aid your mental health. Exercise (even a nice long walk) releases plenty of good chemicals in the body and makes you feel a lot better about yourself, allowing you cope much better with this massive lifestyle change.

Good luck and may I say how much I admire you guys for laying this all out on the forum. Takes some guts. Now lose those guts.
  • edited January 2012
    Does that mean that I have to get down to 195.8lbs or do I have to go lower?

Does it mean that Greg has got it easier than me then (fml if this is the case)?

Not gonna lie to you about the alcohol stoppage, im in - Dublin in February and Honk Kong in March so highly unlikely that I will not drink alcohol at all. 

• edited January 2012
    Good luck both!
  • edited January 2012
    I need to lose weight too and this is inspiring me a bit. But I did an online shop today so i will wait till the next shop (I aint binning that lemon tart) and set about it.
    A couple of things that might help you 2. Tell all your friends and family that you are embarking on a weight loss programme. Their encouragement will help you (unless they own a fast food restaurant). Allow yourself one small treat a week. If you have a favourite chocolate bar that can be a treat if you lose weight that week. 2lb toblerones don't count. As the good Dr says the odd takeaway is still allowed but please go for the healthier options. The calorie count in a full Indian, poppadums, starters and main curry etc. are shocking. Try tandoori and tikka dishes for a healthier choice and avoid the rich sauces.

Dylan don't let it spoil your holidays just try to be sensible about it and good luck to you both