You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg

Comments

• edited January 2012
    I wish I had paid attention in science lessons at school...

I would have learnt that water is heavy... This morning I stepped on the scales and I was shocked that my weight was really low. I thought this might be a technical fault with the scales, but then the thumping headache made me realise that I could be a little dehydrated!

Confession time...

Last night after a very stressful and busy week at work I decided to treat myself to the following...

King size Lion Bar.
    packet of crisps
    a 70cl bottle of Southern Comfort

Somehow, i managed to drink most of the Southern Comfort (with diet lemonade lol). Bad i know, considering there are 24 units in that bottle, and the rda is 4 units! I wasn't intending to drink that much, but as the poker flowed, so did the booze.

So... I drunk three pints of water this morning and reweighed myself and I am going with that higher weight for the weigh in as it is much more accurate.

Poker wise, its been a good week. from a really small bankroll, I managed to bink the mini open on Tuesday for £250... then lost a chunk of it on Wednesday at 10nl. Managed to recover last night and binked the £100 gtd hilo for about £60. That got 34 runners, and no Tommyd either so it can't be his value that attracted people this time :)Hilo is a funny old game, there are a huge amount of nits in that mtt, that just limp fold 90% of their range, its quite funny also that they will snap fold when I c bet the flop with nothing and no draws having commited my stack. Hilo is fun, play it!I still cant beat nl10 though because i'm playing too many hands... just cant help myself sometimes, but at least im starting to win at the HU hypers finally.

Back to the diet stuff. I have been good all week, 3 wheetabix daily, soup for lunch and pasta for dinner mostly. Also been exercising... played badminton for an hour on Thursday and gonna make that a regular weekly fixture along with the badminton club on a Monday. Also doing long walks/ and brief jogs. I'll defo be doing one of those tomorrow, as my punishment for getting wasted last night!!

This week Im gonna try to build the br up a bit more so I have enough for Luton SPT. If i have to buy in direct for £220 i might sell 50%. I don't know 100% if i will be going yet, but if you would be interested in buying 5% or 10% please pm me. I might not sell at all, just pm me if you would be mad enough to risk £11 or £22 quid on a huge donk and ill let u know first if i decide to sell.

OK, weigh in time...Start Weight                              19 stone 8 
    Current Weight                          18 stone 11
    Weight Lost                                11 pounds
    Weight to lose to reach target-     3 stone 7 pounds
  • edited January 2012

A good week's loss, well done you
  • edited January 2012
    King size Lion Bar.
    packet of crisps
    a 70cl bottle of Southern Comfort

LOL Greg, I am sooo glad I am not the only one that does it then ☺

Keep going mate! you have gotta beat the Welsh right? (metaphorically speaking, ofc) 
  • edited January 2012
    nice one mate, pah, whats as bottle of southern comfort between friends. it is a girls drink mind!!!

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg:
    nice one mate, pah, whats as bottle of southern comfort between friends. it is a girls drink mind!!!
    Posted by pod1
    .....says the bloke who only drinks wine!!!  lol :)
  • edited January 2012
    Was dreading the weigh in this morning, I have been excersising more (walking) but the diet didn't go as well due to eating at wrong times and eating some dubious meals at times! 

In total I lost 3lbs this week so I am quite happy with this, a loss is a loss so no complaints but must try harder!

Well done to Greg, he is doing well fair play, just hope we both maintain with the losses each week now, it's not going to be easy so we need to work hard at this! 
  • edited January 2012
    Was dreading the weigh in this morning, I have been excersising more (walking) but the diet didn't go as well due to eating at wrong times and eating some dubious meals at times!  In total I lost 3lbs this week so I am quite happy with this, a loss is a loss so no complaints but must try harder! Well done to Greg, he is doing well fair play, just hope we both maintain with the losses each week now, it's not going to be easy so we need to work hard at this! 
    Posted by dylan12
    nice one Dyl, this challenge will only get harder imo for both of us and i think 3 pounds is a good weekly loss
  • edited January 2012
    Well done both, great reads too.  Loving the full and frank stuff.

Greg, don't beat yourself too much about it but try not to do a whole bottle of booze again.

Dyl, good steady progress.

Well done both, onwards and upwards.
  • edited January 2012
    actually i drink gin, rum ... pretty much whatevers in the house. but red wine is my drink of choice :-)
  • edited January 2012

To lose 9lbs in your first two weeks is very commendable, just remember the previous posts telling you a steady healthy weight loss is easier to maintain than large losses.

And you will have off days, the trick is to come out the other side fighting.

Well done both
  • edited January 2012
    To Dylan and Greg, don't worry to much about a bad day here and there, you're both poker players so just think of it as "variance", Do the right thing most of the time and you'll be happy with the results,.

Keep it up guys, going great!
  • edited January 2012
    I wish I had paid attention in science lessons at school... I would have learnt that water is heavy... This morning I stepped on the scales and I was shocked that my weight was really low. I thought this might be a technical fault with the scales, but then the thumping headache made me realise that I could be a little dehydrated! Confession time... Last night after a very stressful and busy week at work I decided to treat myself to the following... King size Lion Bar. packet of crisps a 70cl bottle of Southern Comfort Somehow, i managed to drink most of the Southern Comfort (with diet lemonade lol). Bad i know, considering there are 24 units in that bottle, and the rda is 4 units! I wasn't intending to drink that much, but as the poker flowed, so did the booze. So... I drunk three pints of water this morning and reweighed myself and I am going with that higher weight for the weigh in as it is much more accurate. Poker wise, its been a good week. from a really small bankroll, I managed to bink the mini open on Tuesday for £250... then lost a chunk of it on Wednesday at 10nl. Managed to recover last night and binked the £100 gtd hilo for about £60. That got 34 runners, and no Tommyd either so it can't be his value that attracted people this time :)Hilo is a funny old game, there are a huge amount of nits in that mtt, that just limp fold 90% of their range, its quite funny also that they will snap fold when I c bet the flop with nothing and no draws having commited my stack. Hilo is fun, play it!I still cant beat nl10 though because i'm playing too many hands... just cant help myself sometimes, but at least im starting to win at the HU hypers finally. Back to the diet stuff. I have been good all week, 3 wheetabix daily, soup for lunch and pasta for dinner mostly. Also been exercising... played badminton for an hour on Thursday and gonna make that a regular weekly fixture along with the badminton club on a Monday. Also doing long walks/ and brief jogs. I'll defo be doing one of those tomorrow, as my punishment for getting wasted last night!! This week Im gonna try to build the br up a bit more so I have enough for Luton SPT. If i have to buy in direct for £220 i might sell 50%. I don't know 100% if i will be going yet, but if you would be interested in buying 5% or 10% please pm me. I might not sell at all, just pm me if you would be mad enough to risk £11 or £22 quid on a huge donk and ill let u know first if i decide to sell. OK, weigh in time... Start Weight                               19 stone 8  Current Weight                            18 stone 11 Weight Lost                                  11 pounds Weight to lose to reach target-     3 stone 7 pounds
    Posted by GREGHOGG

Firstly, your doing great. Really well done so far Hoggers. The giant highlighted bit is the bit i want to get nitpicky about. This is obviously a vast improvement already but if possible, swap these around. Pasta will release energy slowly (carbohydrates) and would be better eaten at lunch time so it releases it for the rest of your day as you need. If you have it at dinner time (we call it tea time up noorth) it will still be releasing energy overnight and there is more chance of your body storing it as fat.

Like i say, nitpicky, and it wont matter too much but as you know, small edges add up to big advantages!

Well done to the both of you.

• edited January 2012
    Was dreading the weigh in this morning, I have been excersising more (walking) but the diet didn't go as well due to eating at wrong times and eating some dubious meals at times!  In total I lost 3lbs this week so I am quite happy with this, a loss is a loss so no complaints but must try harder! Well done to Greg, he is doing well fair play, just hope we both maintain with the losses each week now, it's not going to be easy so we need to work hard at this! 
    Posted by dylan12
    Dylan, this is fine. You know you have had difficulties this week and you know where you went wrong which is what you need to rectify but hey you still lost 3lbs mate. If you do that for 10 weeks you would be well happy. Your going in the right direction. Try and rectify a few of this weeks erm, weaker moments and that would be even better.

Well done.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Firstly, your doing great. Really well done so far Hoggers. The giant highlighted bit is the bit i want to get nitpicky about. This is obviously a vast improvement already but if possible, swap these around. Pasta will release energy slowly (carbohydrates) and would be better eaten at lunch time so it releases it for the rest of your day as you need. If you have it at dinner time (we call it tea time up noorth) it will still be releasing energy overnight and there is more chance of your body storing it as fat. Like i say, nitpicky, and it wont matter too much but as you know, small edges add up to big advantages! Well done to the both of you.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Thanks Dr.

I hae pasta in the evenings because i do my exercise then, and it means i hae enough energy for badminton/jogging. But I will bear your comments in mind.

Your feedback is really helpful, thanks
  • edited January 2012
    Greghogg

Is there any truth in the rumour "GLifUlose" is your Fitness Trainer. ?  

He has a HEM  diet for you.    High Energy Meals. 
  • edited January 2012
    Greghogg     Is there any truth in the rumour "GLifUlose" is your Fitness Trainer. ?    He has a HEM  diet for you.    High Energy Meals. 
    Posted by logdon
    who needs a fitness trainer when I hae you as my mind coach Annie! :) All in the head innit
  • edited January 2012
    Did you know Fat weight is the same as Muscle weight so exercising and turning fat into Muscle will not make to lose weight.
     However if you Stop Drinking 20 pints of Lager a night it will.  Did you know a big fish like you is worth a fortune at Billingsgate Market. ?   :-))
  • edited January 2012

Great stuff both - obv I'm rooting for my fellow Spur, but keep going both!

You're inspiring me on my own health quest after spending most of last year on take-outs.

Thanks to all who have posted advice on here, been a great help.

Passed my 1st major test on Fri nite as only had 1 pint and stuck to spirits+diet coke after that - then had baked potato&grilled chicken instead of chips&kebab!

BUT - as many have posted above, it's easy to do this for one week - making a lifestyle change is the real test, the hard work starts now, gl!

Enjoying MOTD2 right now, great result Swans - COYS! 8->
  • edited January 2012
    Did you know Fat weight is the same as Muscle weight so exercising and turning fat into Muscle will not make to lose weight. 
    Posted by logdon
    Sorry to nitpick, but this is a very often misunderstood statement. Of course, 1kg of fat weighs the same as 1kg of muscle, they are the same weight (actually, mass, for those who try to re-nitpick me). The difference is, muscle is more dense (has more mass per unit volume) than fat.

Exercising burns calories, which are stored in fats in your body. While you break down and burn these calories, you are also improving muscles and increasing their density, but not at equal rates, so you will definitely lose weight from exercising. You also improve your metabolic rate (the rate at which you break down and use energy) from exercising, so there will be less excess energy, meaning less stored as fat. 

You can be an unhealthy 17st and a very healthy 17st, the difference been a healthy 17st will be smaller because their muscle weight the same as the unhealthy 17st's fat weight. Hopefully I'll be proving this over the coming year, as I am really training hard to become a lot fitter and lose weight. I believe I'll plateau quite early and remain the same weight, yet still be losing fat as I gain muscle weight.

Edit: I understand in the context of your message that you were joking, sorry. Still, I think its useful for people to understand the weight loss/muscle gain thing

• edited January 2012
  • edited January 2012
    Diet is going ok (ish). Been eating Salad/pasta combo each lunch time, still having fruit before and after lunch and drinking a lot of water. Most evenings I have had a plateful of veg and some meat to accompony it. I had a cheat meal last night - fish and chips, not gonna beat myself up over it as I have been quite strict other than that. 

Excercise wise I am walking a lot atm but not made much effort to attend the gym, obviously this needs to change but I am not stressing atm about it. 

The other fatty is doing well he says and doing a lot more excercise than me but no doubt he will be online at some point to elaborate further. 
  • edited January 2012
    Hi guys,

Yeah there was some info on here that needs correcting. You don't turn fat into muscle. You lose fat and build up muscle. But the fat itself is not physically transformed into muscle.

I've been in the gym a fair bit in the first 20 days of Jan and been pretty good on the old diet on the whole. My weight however, remains the same. But I'm not worried at all. 
    What's important is that I'll be losing my body fat percentage.
    So the idea is- my body will be made up less of fat and more of muscle.

Sounds weird to say this but this whole fat-loss thing is not about weight, full stop. It's about how much of your weight is fat. So you could have a rugby player, built like a tank and weighing an absolute ton. But he'd be the fittest and healthiest man in town and also look the business because he's primarily muscle with very little fat. Purely based on weight, many rugby players would be classified as obese.

Then you could have a 13 stone guy who is total blubber and he'll look much worse plus be unhealthy and unfit. He could be anything up to 7 stone lighter than rugby man- but it makes no odds. He's the one heading for the health problems, not the guy who weighs a ton.

So, in short- don't obsess about what the weighing scales say. Go more on how you feel and how you look. Whether or not your usual trousers are getting a little loose, for example. Little victories like that.

But the facts remain, cutting food down and eating better is good, but you've got to exercise to really kickstart the fat loss. I know- it's really boring but I'm afraid that is the cold, hard reality.

Suck it up, soldiers!

Keep it up guys- proud of ya!. Almost a month in the bag now already!
  • edited January 2012
    So what you're saying is they both need to take up rugby.
  • edited January 2012
    Its another sensible post by Rich. Some great advice there.

Question for Gregg and Dylan. Now you are eating healthier, do you feel better for it?
  • edited January 2012
    Hi guys, Yeah there was some info on here that needs correcting. You don't turn fat into muscle. You lose fat and build up muscle. But the fat itself is not physically transformed into muscle. I've been in the gym a fair bit in the first 20 days of Jan and been pretty good on the old diet on the whole. My weight however, remains the same. But I'm not worried at all.  What's important is that I'll be losing my body fat percentage. So the idea is- my body will be made up less of fat and more of muscle. Sounds weird to say this but this whole fat-loss thing is not about weight, full stop. It's about how much of your weight is fat . So you could have a rugby player, built like a tank and weighing an absolute ton. But he'd be the fittest and healthiest man in town and also look the business because he's primarily muscle with very little fat. Purely based on weight, many rugby players would be classified as obese. Then you could have a 13 stone guy who is much worse plus be unhealthy and unfit. He could be anything up to 7 stone lighter than rugby man- but it makes no odds. He's the one heading for the health problems, not the guy who weighs a ton. So, in short- don't obsess about what the weighing scales say. Go more on how you feel and how you look. Whether or not your usual trousers are getting a little loose, for example. Little victories like that. But the facts remain, cutting food down and eating better is good, but you've got to exercise to really kickstart the fat loss. I know- it's really boring but I'm afraid that is the cold, hard reality. Suck it up, soldiers! Keep it up guys- proud of ya!. Almost a month in the bag now already!
    Posted by RICHORFORD

More great advice Rich, much appreciated!

What I've highlighted from your post sums me up.

I've got a slim frame, but always been a complete shambles fitness wise.

I've been on my own 'get fit' mission from start of month, gotta make sure I keep it up so this thread's been great4me2.

Keep it up guys!

• edited January 2012
    Keep going guys!!

Looking forward to the weigh in this week end, hopefully you both will be making good progress.

Coxy and Rich are bang on about the old fat v muscle stuff.  That is why in the rules it was hit your target range and then look into body fat.  You have to dig the foundations before building the house.
  • edited January 2012
    I just weighed myself and I currently weigh 17st 10lbs so a loss of 2lbs. 

Been another ok ish week, still eating some bad convenient food but walking a lot atm but stepping it up in the gym on monday so should be interesting. 

Im awaiting Gregdonk to come on and tell the world that he has lost 6lbs or something but tbf if that was the case then he would deserve it, he has been puting a hell of a lot of volume into the excercise, much more than me so I hope he losses a load - unless he got drunk (again) last night after winning the Open. Congrats Greg, obviously your new regime is helping you with the poker and long may it continue, 
  • edited January 2012
    Its another sensible post by Rich. Some great advice there. Question for Gregg and Dylan. Now you are eating healthier, do you feel better for it?
    Posted by DrSharp
    Good question!! 

Im stumped though. I probably feel better for it but I don't think I do, or is it to early yet?
    Perhaps it's because I still smlke so I never feel that healthy when having a ciggy. 

I think I am on course now and into an ok routine so the next balance is excercise so I think I should feel a lot healthier then. Or am I being weird and I should feel healthier now I eat mostly salads? lol 
  • edited January 2012
    I just weighed myself and I currently weigh 17st 10lbs so a loss of 2lbs.  Been another ok ish week, still eating some bad convenient food but walking a lot atm but stepping it up in the gym on monday so should be interesting.  Im awaiting Gregdonk to come on and tell the world that he has lost 6lbs or something but tbf if that was the case then he would deserve it, he has been puting a hell of a lot of volume into the excercise, much more than me so I hope he losses a load - unless he got drunk (again) last night after winning the Open. Congrats Greg, obviously your new regime is helping you with the poker and long may it continue, 
    Posted by dylan12

I was drunk while winning the open thanks...

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet this morning. (like Samantha25)

Basically ive done the most excerise this week... Badminton on Monday and Wednesday, and a 7 minute jog- non-stop on Tuesday... but lost the least weight so far... I was obv naughty last night... Chips and battered sausage and lots of booze but hey that's what Friday's are for.

Had my best Mtt result on Sky Poker last night too and still buzzing! Gonna do Luton SPT now and get a new laptop  HeadsValue        GREGHOGG13320001£1636.20 + 160 League Points
    Well done Dylan on your steadly loss. Im enjoying this challenge in a weird way, although its pretty tough!

sorry about the ittallics i cant seem to make it not slanty now lol
  • edited January 2012
    ONTO THE WEIGH IN...,

Start Weight                              19 stone 8 

Current Weight                          18 stone 8

Weekly loss                                3 pounds

Total Weight Lost                        14 pounds (1 stone)

Weight to lose to reach target-     3 stone 4 pounds