You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg

Comments

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg:
    Nice post Gregdonk I just weighed myself and I am now 18 Stone 1lbs so I believe (Tommy pleasce check cos I am to lazy and I am hungry cos im writing this before brekkie) a 5lbs loss. I am well happy with this so a good start for both myself and Greg.  There is a long way to go and I/we really appreciate everyones support here, your advice, encouragenment and experiences really do help spur us on - if your not here posting then I try to avoid posting because I know that what we write at times are boring and don't want to bore others but it is a real help for me to post to keep myself focussed and mitivated so keep on our backs if you want to.  Off to get my brekfast, eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread, mushrooms, beans, toast, h a sh browns - that was my usual saturday fry up with the lads every saturday, today is crunchy nut. 
    Posted by dylan12
    +1

wd Dyl good start m8
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Yes Dyl it's a 5lb loss to start. Nice start both, but now the real challenge begins.  It's always easy at the start, it'll be the coming weeks that test your metal. Well I'm off to Spurs and then the pub for the day to refresh after playing like a donk for all month to date. For the record, my weigh in was 170lbs.
    Posted by TommyD
    Lets hope we are not on the end of an FA Cup giant killing today. I dont think Cheltenham can be underestimated, you heard it here first!

enjoy your day and thanks again Tommy for setting up this challenge
  • edited January 2012
    Well Done on your first week, losing 6lbs is a great start, but remember the first week is always the easiest as your body isn't aware of the change until after it happens!  Don't be disheartened if this week you find that you either don't lose or just drop a little. A Healthy weight loss is between 4 - 8 lbs per month, so 6 in the first week is very encouraging. Keep up the good work Keith
    Posted by kaymac
    Ye once i get rid of the early bulk, i should keep within this

ty for your comments
  • edited January 2012
    well done hoggers, great start. after taking down the northern half of tkp with an awesome display of 10 seater sngs as well you must be feeling very good about life at the moment. keep up the good work   a+
    Posted by pod1
    Ty, i think thats the first time since my Geography class in 1993 that I got an A+

still await a gold star from Tommy lol
  • edited January 2012
    Quick question, how much calories should I be eating? Had a chat with Greg last night and he consumes like 600-800 calories a day but I am way over that and think he is consuming to little - any thoughts/advice? 
    Posted by dylan12
    Signup to this site I posted about earlier http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ it will give you a rough idea of what you should be aiming for.

You can then use it to keep your food diary and it will tell you how many calories you've consumed and if you're hitting your targets.

You can even save your foods because lets face it, most of us eat the same kind of meals every week.

Well done to the both of you for your losses this week.
  • edited January 2012
    Greg Dylan made a post a bit ago saying you were only consuming about 600 calories a day. If that figure is correct that is way too low and could possibly be quite damaging over time. If it helps I came across this website http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide_men.htm and it will help work out what you need your calorie intake to be to lose weight at a safe rate. Both of you might find it useful and well done both so far.
  • edited January 2012
    Good start guys but i have to echo what others have said about it being easy at first.

Like i said in my original post, its a lifestyle change. Keep adding in good habits and they will become normal over time. Suppose its a bit like poker, you are constantly plugging leaks (well, i am!) in your game and its the same regarding your lifestyle. Adding extra bits of exercise, or improving your diet, should become the norm if you show enough discipline.

This first 6 months or so is'nt too important (well apart from beating each other), its the rest of your lives. Get into good habits should be easy at first, its sticking to them which is the hard part. 

Its no good getting your weight down and feeling healthy in 6 months if you both have to do this again next year!

Hows the exercise going Dylan? You found owt yet?
  • edited January 2012

Had a funny weekend.

On Saturday, I felt really tired in the afternoon all of a sudden, and realised that i probably wasn't eating enough. So I ate a bit more than I had been.  Also had a couple of Jack Daniels and diet coke in the evening.

Today I ate 3 wheetabix trather than the usual two, tomato pasta and then went for a long walk/jog (although Dylan wont believe me lol)

Thanks for the cautionary posts about the first few days being easy etc etc, think this is gonna be extremely tough, but in the long run, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Thanks for your comments guys, i think this community will be a big part of helping us both get there! Its hard to change 10 years + of bad habits overnight but we will give it a bloody good go!!

• edited January 2012
    Nice work, Greg.

Tell you what, tomorrow- instead of walking, why don't you jog really gently for as long you can manage it and time it precisely?

it doesn't matter whether it's 5 minutes or 15 seconds. You'll then have a starting point from which to build.

Don't bother doing anything else exercise-wise for the rest of the day then.

But the next day aim to jog for precisely 60 seconds more and so forth.

Just an idea... :-)

• edited January 2012
    Great work guys, keep it up and you'll really see the benefits of having a more efficient body.

More fun running around with the kids, maybe get better at a sport you like, loads of bonuses you'll eventullay see : )

And now for a bad pun:

"Run Well"
  • edited January 2012
    im also trying to loose weight i found mynetdiary.com realy helpful lost of good info on there and a good way of keeping a log. I know fitday is also similar. 

Richs posts iare gold, lots and lots of protein and less carbs. Omellete are great for breakfast, personlally iv found it hard not to have rice/noodles/pita and wraps with meal but im trying to ease them out. Aslong as your within ur calorie allowence im sure its ok is small amounts.

I like cooking and atm i have time so its been easy for me one thing im going to do is cook of batches of foods i like so when i want i can reheat them instead of cooking 5 times a day. This thread will help keep me motivated aswel.

gl lads
  • edited January 2012
    As big mick12 says above, if you get a chance/like cooking food and cook big portions of chilli/curry these are ideal for freezing and reheating at a later date;and you know what ingredients healthy or otherwise are in your own recipes.Good luck with the challenge,great start so far.Dave.
  • edited January 2012
    9pm tomorrow on ITV1 could be a useful watch, get a few tips and tricks.
  • edited January 2012
    9pm tomorrow on ITV1 could be a useful watch, get a few tips and tricks.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    watched it last week it was hilarious
  • edited January 2012
    Rich, I will try the jogging thing definatley, where ill do 5 mins then increase each time. thanks for the great posts

I had a great badminton session tonight and was good fun, had loads of energy to play

Also booked a weekly singles badminton game so will be playing twice a week now!

The weight will fall off in no time at this rate! :) touch wood innit

• edited January 2012
    just did a 5 minute jog non-stop

i'm sure it was harder than it should be, im seriously unfit!

next jog will be 6 mins

then regged for a spt sat, and getting completely owned, 3 bet all oer the place lol
  • edited January 2012
    just did a 5 minute jog non-stop i'm sure it was harder than it should be, im seriously unfit! next jog will be 6 mins then regged for a spt sat, and getting completely owned, 3 bet all oer the place lol
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Baby steps Gregory, keep it up mate. 

I haven't updated in a while, I am keeping a diary in the link Dr Sharp sent, nice to track what my daily intake is and I am below the reccomended daily intake of calories which suprised me at the beginning but I am keeping better track now. 

I am rushed off my feet at the moment and I am putting big hours at work so eating 100% healthy has been hard but I have tried my best but today I did have a cheese sandwich and a pack of wotsits because I was eating on the go which is not ideal. 

I have been walking a lot more but have not stepped inside a gym yet. I have a programme in place and I am looking to begin that on Monday, in the mean time I will continue to walk as much as I have been doing. 

Time for the sofa now, Im cream crackered tonight and early start again tomorrow so no poker tonight, wanna be fresh for the morning. 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Baby steps Gregory, keep it up mate.  I haven't updated in a while, I am keeping a diary in the link Acidman posted, nice to track what my daily intake is and I am below the reccomended daily intake of calories which suprised me at the beginning but I am keeping better track now.  I am rushed off my feet at the moment and I am putting big hours at work so eating 100% healthy has been hard but I have tried my best but today I did have a cheese sandwich and a pack of wotsits because I was eating on the go which is not ideal.  I have been walking a lot more but have not stepped inside a gym yet. I have a programme in place and I am looking to begin that on Monday, in the mean time I will continue to walk as much as I have been doing.  Time for the sofa now, Im cream crackered tonight and early start again tomorrow so no poker tonight, wanna be fresh for the morning. 
    Posted by dylan12
  • edited January 2012
    Keep it up lads.

It is a great site, makes it easier to keep track of what you've eaten and how many calories you're allowed.

It's also handy that it remembers your food so it's quicker to list your food each day.
  • edited January 2012
    just did a 5 minute jog non-stop i'm sure it was harder than it should be, im seriously unfit! next jog will be 6 mins then regged for a spt sat, and getting completely owned, 3 bet all oer the place lol
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Mate, I did a jog for 15 minutes for the first time in weeks the other day. After about 60 seconds I felt like giving up, not joking. Then I managed to get past that bit and I was ok.

My point is, if you haven't been exercising at all for gawd knows how long, then even 5 minutes jogging is going to be a mare. Your body will just be screaming out at you immediately to stop. 

What you don't want to do is put yourself off for life!

You want to do tiny steps forward in this exercise thing.

So, if it's too much- just jog for as long as you can realistically stand it.

Even if it's a minute, then at least you have something to build on each day from there.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Baby steps Gregory, keep it up mate.  I haven't updated in a while, I am keeping a diary in the link Dr Sharp sent, nice to track what my daily intake is and I am below the reccomended daily intake of calories which suprised me at the beginning but I am keeping better track now.  I am rushed off my feet at the moment and I am putting big hours at work so eating 100% healthy has been hard but I have tried my best but today I did have a cheese sandwich and a pack of wotsits because I was eating on the go which is not ideal.  I have been walking a lot more but have not stepped inside a gym yet. I have a programme in place and I am looking to begin that on Monday, in the mean time I will continue to walk as much as I have been doing.  Time for the sofa now, Im cream crackered tonight and early start again tomorrow so no poker tonight, wanna be fresh for the morning. 
    Posted by dylan12

I totally understand the Wotsits moment, Dyl as i spend a lot of time grabbing food on the go and quite often there's nothing healthy on offer.

You should see the number of MaccyD drive-in drop-ins I've done on the way home from the Sky Poker studios! Why? Because where else can I get instant food on the road at 2am? There's no organic diet drive-in shops, that's for sure.

The only way round this is to bulk buy a job-load of nuts, seeds, bananas and then every morning grab your snacks for the day and carry them with you.

Let me know how you get on in the gym. I've been giving it a good old go in 2012 myself.

GL!
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : I totally understand the Wotsits moment, Dyl as i spend a lot of time grabbing food on the go and quite often there's nothing healthy on offer. You should see the number of MaccyD drive-in drop-ins I've done on the way home from the Sky Poker studios! Why? Because where else can I get instant food on the road at 2am? There's no organic diet drive-in shops, that's for sure. The only way round this is to bulk buy a job-load of nuts, seeds, bananas and then every morning grab your snacks for the day and carry them with you. Let me know how you get on in the gym. I've been giving it a good old go in 2012 myself. GL!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Ty for the post Rich.

I do get together every morning a box whixh includes a bananna, apple, 20(ish) grapes, alpen bar, bottle of water all of which is fine if I work 9-5pm but recently I find myself staying in the office until 9-10pm so it is a case of eating a sandwich and crisps (for instance) or starve and i prefer the eating option tbh so I need to take more with me. With regards to the nuts - what kind am I able to eat? Seeds - I have a feeling these would taste vile but I should try before I judge. 

My gym programme, I will post it up when I get it from my work lappy - It is quite intensive but good as well and we shall see how it goes. Remind me to post it if I have not done so by Saturday because I will have it but probably just forgot to post. 

Thanks to everyone for the posts of encouragment and advice as well, I try and take on board each piece of information I am given. 

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Ty for the post Rich. I do get together every morning a box whixh includes a bananna, apple, 20(ish) grapes, alpen bar, bottle of water all of which is fine if I work 9-5pm but recently I find myself staying in the office until 9-10pm so it is a case of eating a sandwich and crisps (for instance) or starve and i prefer the eating option tbh so I need to take more with me. With regards to the nuts - what kind am I able to eat? Seeds - I have a feeling these would taste vile but I should try before I judge.  My gym programme, I will post it up when I get it from my work lappy - It is quite intensive but good as well and we shall see how it goes. Remind me to post it if I have not done so by Saturday because I will have it but probably just forgot to post.  Thanks to everyone for the posts of encouragment and advice as well, I try and take on board each piece of information I am given. 
    Posted by dylan12
    Not peanuts, or anything with added salt in it.

M and S do a handy snack sized bag of fruit, nuts and seeds. It's actually quite tasty, remarkably.
  • edited January 2012
    walk and jog to start

football pitch - walk widths - jog lenghts

fitter you get the longer you will jog

then jog widths - run lenghts

before you know it you'll be running laps

then you can work up to miles then half marathons and so on :)

good luck fatties
  • edited January 2012
    i think i should be sent to a desert island with Cheryl Cole,  Beyonce and the page 3 girl from yesterday. I would soon lose the weight imo
    Posted by GREGHOGG

You'd lose money in the poker game though, eh? :P

P.S Good luck to both of you!
  • edited January 2012
    The weight isnt coming off as quickly as i would like!

But, i am doing lots of excerise, the difference this week is that i am eating more too, which is probably healthier.

Did an hour of badminton tonight, and im absolutley shattered!

Doing a weight loss club at work on a Wednesday and in the first week i lost 1.98% from my starting weight but i was only 6th out of 19 people!

Must keep going!!
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Mate, I did a jog for 15 minutes for the first time in weeks the other day. After about 60 seconds I felt like giving up, not joking. Then I managed to get past that bit and I was ok. My point is, if you haven't been exercising at all for gawd knows how long, then even 5 minutes jogging is going to be a mare. Your body will just be screaming out at you immediately to stop.  What you don't want to do is put yourself off for life! You want to do tiny steps forward in this exercise thing. So, if it's too much- just jog for as long as you can realistically stand it. Even if it's a minute, then at least you have something to build on each day from there.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    ty rich will bear all of this in mind!
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : You'd lose money in the poker game though, eh? :P P.S Good luck to both of you!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    ty m8

er... if it was strip poker, id rather win tbh! :)
  • edited January 2012
    The weight isnt coming off as quickly as i would like! But, i am doing lots of excerise, the difference this week is that i am eating more too, which is probably healthier. Did an hour of badminton tonight, and im absolutley shattered! Doing a weight loss club at work on a Wednesday and in the first week i lost 1.98% from my starting weight but i was only 6th out of 19 people! Must keep going!!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    You dont have to rush to get the weight off. Just put the work in and keep the diet discipline and your weight and health will take care of itself. It wont do you any good losing a stone a week, its false weight loss. I know this is a weight related challenge but its probably more important to just think of your health. Eat healthy, exercise more and everything will come together, you will start to feel better, have more energy which leads to more excercise and being even healthier. I think a slow steady weight loss is far better than crash dieting for 4 weeks and losing loads at once.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : You dont have to rush to get the weight off. Just put the work in and keep the diet discipline and your weight and health will take care of itself. It wont do you any good losing a stone a week, its false weight loss. I know this is a weight related challenge but its probably more important to just think of your health. Eat healthy, exercise more and everything will come together, you will start to feel better, have more energy which leads to more excercise and being even healthier. I think a slow steady weight loss is far better than crash dieting for 4 weeks and losing loads at once. Good luck.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Trust him, he's a doctor.