You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg

Comments

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg:
    Its another sensible post by Rich. Some great advice there. Question for Gregg and Dylan. Now you are eating healthier, do you feel better for it?
    Posted by DrSharp
    Yes... but this morning i feel like poo physically, but mentally im fine which is the exact opposite of how I hae been feeling mostly oer the past month lol
  • edited January 2012
    What is this doing lurking on pg 4?????

Weekend sin count pls.. 

Come on boys fess up, I'm sure at least one of you was naughty..

xx
  • edited January 2012
     Greg  Got just the Girl for you to SUMO with in Al's Bar.    See her in today's SUN Newspaper. ?
     Not page 3  silly     page 25
  • edited January 2012
    What is this doing lurking on pg 4????? Weekend sin count pls..  Come on boys fess up, I'm sure at least one of you was naughty.. xx
    Posted by TRIP5
    ofc i was naughty... (chips and curry, and booze) but i just made up for it i think playing badminton tonight...

doubt ill lose much weight this week! And Luton is next weekend. nuf said!

But the challenge is still going well, a stone lost in 4 weeks aint bad is it?

And as for the sumo wrestler in the sun seen it Annie, she is hot innit

• edited January 2012
    I am at SPT Luton, so can't officially weigh in today as i dont have my magic scales, but i believe i am roughly the same weight as last week

I have lost a stone since 1st January and I think this is good, but i have started to get back into bad habits again.

One thing that will remotivate me was yesterday, i bought a new shirt, really smart one, from TKmaxx. It was an XXL so i didnt bother trying it on, just assumed it would fit

When i got back to the hotel, the thing didnt button up, as it wouldnt stretch around my enormous belly!! 

FML

• edited January 2012
    if you have an i phone, stand on it and i think it will do your weight (maybe , either that or you need a new phone lol)
  • edited January 2012
    I weighed in at 17st 9lbs this morning for a 1lbs loss. 

Not great tbf but at least it is a loss I suppose. 

Did slip slightly this week, had a McDonalds Tuesday lunch time and ate some sausages (not the low fat type) on thuesday evening so not good at all!! Apart from that, I have been continuing to eat loads of fruit, vegetables and drinking loads of water. Excersise wise I have a lot to do here as this is going very slowly indeed! 

Overall, I am happy at where I am having lost 11lbs in January but with a long weekend in Dublin next weekend I am going there to enjoy so fully expect a non-losing week on my return. 

I have been re-reading some of the advice on this thread and it's really good to go throught it again and help motivate myself in the tough times, there is truely a lot of very good advice there, so, than you guys!! 
  • edited January 2012
    Right you two!

This is what i was talking about only a few weeks ago. Sound like you two are starting to slip just a little and this is where discipline comes in to play. You want to lose weight and become healthier? Its not going to fall in to your lap, it takes time, effort, patience, discipline and most of all hard work. You will have the odd bad week, thats a given, but dont let it snowball in to two bad weeks, then three etc.

Dylan - McDonalds??? Seriously! Do you think that tastes good? You have improved your diet for the most part, but you really have to start exercising so you can earn those 'treats'. You have done well so far and shown a steady weight loss but you need to step it up regarding exercise otherwise you wont feel the benefits of your weight loss.

Gregg - You have done really well so far but dont let weekends away become an excuse for easy weeks. Have to remain hard on yourself, even when away!

Seriously guys, i cant express how much better you will feel in yourselves if you really go for this and keep it going long term. By long term i mean the rest of your life. Please, for yoursleves, do not slip back in to bad habits. You keep it up and eventually the thought of eating a McDonalds will physically repulse you.

Good luck guys!
  • edited January 2012
    Hi Mr Sharp, I appreciate your bluntness and honesty in the above post, sometimes we need a kick up the backside so thanks for that. 

I agree McDonalds is not the best meal in the world to have and I should have resisted temptation perhaps whilst in their establishment - I do like their coffee though I must say and used to have 2/3 large coffees there each week and that was my fist one since the 1st of January. 

With regards to the excercise, I do walk/jog 3 nights a week and which considering I used to do none  of that I would say is a massive step in the right direction. I also walk a lot at work rather than taking lifts or driving to the shops etc so again another vast improvement. I would like to step it up firther with more gym work along with the walking/jogging but it's baby steps atm, I don't want to rush things and I think that I am progressing along nicely - deep down I want to go and train 6 days a week like I used to back at University and perhaps that is where my frustration shows when I post as I always state that I need to "step it up" etc with the training, when in fact I am doing considerably well according to friends and need to be patient and listen to my body because there is no way I could do the gym work that I used to. 

My diet has endlessly improved and my first real test will be next weekend in Dublin, I will not begin to kid myself that i will not be drinking or eating a lot but I think that I need to manage the volume of consumption that I will intake and adapt my food wherever possible to look for healthier options when eating out. 

As stated, thanks for your brutally honest post Dr Sharp and please keep it coming!!

P.S. Are you a real Doctor btw? only just clicked with regards to your alias lol!!
  • edited January 2012
    Hi Mr Sharp, I appreciate your bluntness and honesty in the above post, sometimes we need a kick up the backside so thanks for that.  I agree McDonalds is not the best meal in the world to have and I should have resisted temptation perhaps whilst in their establishment - I do like their coffee though I must say and used to have 2/3 large coffees there each week and that was my fist one since the 1st of January.  With regards to the excercise, I do walk/jog 3 nights a week and which considering I used to do none  of that I would say is a massive step in the right direction. I also walk a lot at work rather than taking lifts or driving to the shops etc so again another vast improvement. I would like to step it up firther with more gym work along with the walking/jogging but it's baby steps atm, I don't want to rush things and I think that I am progressing along nicely - deep down I want to go and train 6 days a week like I used to back at University and perhaps that is where my frustration shows when I post as I always state that I need to "step it up" etc with the training, when in fact I am doing considerably well according to friends and need to be patient and listen to my body because there is no way I could do the gym work that I used to.  My diet has endlessly improved and my first real test will be next weekend in Dublin, I will not begin to kid myself that i will not be drinking or eating a lot but I think that I need to manage the volume of consumption that I will intake and adapt my food wherever possible to look for healthier options when eating out.  As stated, thanks for your brutally honest post Dr Sharp and please keep it coming!! P.S. Are you a real Doctor btw? only just clicked with regards to your alias lol!!
    Posted by dylan12

Good going guys keep it up

You have both had a bit of a blip but looks as though you are both heading in the right direction keep those chins up :)

Well done

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Good going guys keep it up You have both had a bit of a blip but looks as though you are both heading in the right direction keep those chins up :) Well done
    Posted by hawk7112
    Haha, you cheeky little squakey you ;) 

Hope your well m8 :) 

I am never gonna be squeeky clean and I will have a few cheats here and there but as Dr Sharp pointed out, we must earn these cheats. 
  • edited January 2012
    Lol dylan. No i am not a real doctor.

Basically, i used to do a bit of long distance running followed by playing football for god knows how many years and i really got into this diet and exercise thing to keep me in top shape. I also used to go to the gym quite a lot and work on different parts of the body and how to improve your diet to maximise strenght in certain areas and stuff which is the reason i know some weird stuff about this diet/body thingy.

When i finished the football, i stopped training and everything and before i knew it i had gone from just over 12.5stone (my fighting weight), to over 14.5 stone within months. I lost confidence during the summer, wouldnt take my top off on hols etc because i was used to seeing a 6 pack and now it was a bit of overhang there. I found myself out of breath alot more and worst of all i had to buy bigger clothes which means a Yorkshire man spending money........just had a shudder at the thought of that again!! Basically, i got of my backside and started cycling, walking, the odd run but my knees are shot now, and even nintendo wii (dont laugh). You may laugh at me worrying about 14.5 stone, but even the extra 2 stone affected me and when i got back to 12.5 stone i felt the benefits. 

I know i will never be as fit as when i was 25, however i hover around 13 stone to 13.5 stone now, but enjoy eating healthy, exercising regularly and generally looking after myself. I have a nice life balance and know i can have the odd drink with friends, the odd takeaway at home and the odd treat here and there but i also know doing this too much is bad for you so i exercise to earn these treats and keep my body working well. Nobody should have to live like a monk, step the exercise up and you can eat more and treat yourself more and find your own way of balancing it out. We are all different and deal with things differently but you will know your body better than anyone so work with your body, help it lose some weight and more importantly, listen to it when it is stressed, dont overdo it. You have actually listened to your body as you obviously think you need to lose weight for your own good.

I know i keep repeating this but to be honest its the key. Exercise more, eat more healthy (not necessarily eat less) and you will feel better in yourself, your confidence will improve, you'll want to do more and hey presto you will live longer! Not a bad deal is it really, just stick at it and it will become routine and normal and you wont look back.

I know i have rambled on a bit again, sorry. This is a bit of a hobby of mine (weird eh?) but i recognise the strength shown by you two to do something about it and just want you to succeed. In 10 years time, if you keep it up, you will think back on this and be so proud of yourselves and even better, you will have a better life because of it. Exercise is key mate, i dont want you eating just rabbit food for the rest of your life, lets burn the calories so we can have a steak pie every now and again and not worry about it. Everything in moderation!

Crikey, i'm off again! When i moved out from my parents house when i was 20, i didnt know how to cook so i just ate stuff like frey bentos pies (eat em ya cannot beat em lol) and takeaway pizzas, curries, chinese etc etc every night. Now i got away with it because i was football training twice a week and hitting the gym 5 days a week and obviously playing on a Saturday and Sunday at the time so i never put weight on no matter what i ate. I still felt worse off due to the garbage i was throwing down my neck every night. Basically, if you eat lots of fatty foods but really tank it down the gym you will be ok but not as great as you could, if you dont exercise at all but eat two strawberries and half a lettuce a day you will lose weight but feel awful. Mix the two and we have a winner!
  • edited February 2012
    Great post Drsharp helps me keep motivated also when trying to loose
  • edited February 2012
    Thank you for your advice Dr Sharp, and all

I am really struggling with the whole lifestyle thing. I cant seem to do moderation. Its all or nothing for me. But i'm not giving up yet

Im still 18 stone 8 and have been for two weeks. Its a stone less than i was at the start of January but theres so much more to do.

The next SPT is Brighton on 10th March, and i really want to be 17 1/2 stone by then so i need to work really hard.

How are you doing Dylan, have you hit a "brick wall" too?
  • edited February 2012
    Thank you for your advice Dr Sharp, and all I am really struggling with the whole lifestyle thing. I cant seem to do moderation. Its all or nothing for me. But i'm not giving up yet Im still 18 stone 8 and have been for two weeks. Its a stone less than i was at the start of January but theres so much more to do. The next SPT is Brighton on 10th March, and i really want to be 17 1/2 stone by then so i need to work really hard. How are you doing Dylan, have you hit a "brick wall" too?
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Greg,

This sounds pretty good to me!  Thats about 2/3 pounds per week which iirc is the correct amount to "safely" lose.  It's heading in the right direction.  NOT an expert but I believe its common for a persons weight to "plateau" for a bit.    Good luck to you both. 

“It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.”  Old Chinese proverb!

Pad

• edited February 2012
    Could you not just have 1 week where u hammer the diet & exercise and lose like a stone, then toss it off for a fortnight & just maintain your weight, then rinse repeat?

That seems to be what the Hogg has done so far & to me it sounds alot easier than just being boring all the time.

Similar to when I was @ uni, I'd ignore all my work for weeks/months, then do a period of 3/4 days where I worked 12 hours a day and got it all done.

Some people would do 2/3 hours a night......

Doesn't matter how you lose it as long as you lose it?????

All dayer today Greg? ;) 
  • edited February 2012
    Thank you for your advice Dr Sharp, and all I am really struggling with the whole lifestyle thing. I cant seem to do moderation. Its all or nothing for me. But i'm not giving up yet Im still 18 stone 8 and have been for two weeks. Its a stone less than i was at the start of January but theres so much more to do. The next SPT is Brighton on 10th March, and i really want to be 17 1/2 stone by then so i need to work really hard. How are you doing Dylan, have you hit a "brick wall" too?
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Havent been on sky poker for a while, but its nice to see these sort of threads, makes a change from poker; but impressive more than anything.

I did a year in colleague on sport and fitness, and learnt a bit about nutrition. Just a couple of tips for you, 

1. Eat Carbs early in the day (e.g pasta, rice or that posh cr-ap couscous) this gives you time to burn them off through out the day.

2. You can still hit your "RDA" of calories per day (2000-2500) but try to distribute the meals through out the day, this helps your body to digest the food, and consumes the energy better---this is a better alternative to have one BIG meal a day(this is hard to crack but will help you a lot).

3. Have a balanced diet, you may think pasta is healthy? . . . yes, but not if you have pasta for lunch, and pasta for diner, in terms of poker this is "Donkish". Use a "foods-group" poster as your desktop background (dont laugh) to familiarize your self with each food group; this will help get a balanced diet. 

4. Cut out the S - -t, Eating raw foods help(as they take a lot of energy to break them down) like carrots, cucumber ect.  Try dipping them in hummus(im not kidding) or other dips, make it part as one meal whilst playing poker. 

4.5. Try cutting out on dairy, but consume milk(if not lactose intolerant, keep to skimmed) i wouldn't advocate cutting a section of the foods-group, but avoid cheese(this may suck), chocolate (this definitely sucks), and BUTTER; do not jump off a bridge, but seriously try it, then you can jump off a bridge if this fails but make sure no one is walking underneath, 18stone of man will annihilate them. 

• edited February 2012
    Could you not just have 1 week where u hammer the diet & exercise and lose like a stone, then toss it off for a fortnight & just maintain your weight, then rinse repeat? That seems to be what the Hogg has done so far & to me it sounds alot easier than just being boring all the time. Similar to when I was @ uni, I'd ignore all my work for weeks/months, then do a period of 3/4 days where I worked 12 hours a day and got it all done. Some people would do 2/3 hours a night...... Doesn't matter how you lose it as long as you lose it????? All dayer today Greg? ;) 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Each to their own, but if you(if you'r well over weight) want to live to 45+ then i would take it seriously(ott maybie, maybie not); you can do this when young but the older you get the harder it gets.
  • edited February 2012
    Update, just a brief one today... not heard from chubbers for a while tho... He was away in Dublin last weekend so we will see...

Slow progress, still not doing everything as i should regarding diet, but i am exercising regularly. thanks so much for all the advice! Really want to get there!

Start Weight                              19 stone 8 

Current Weight                          18 stone 5

Total Weight Lost                        17 pounds (1 stone, 3 pounds)

Weight to lose to reach target-     3 stone 1 pound

• edited February 2012
    Update, just a brief one today... not heard from chubbers for a while tho... He was away in Dublin last weekend so we will see... Slow progress, still not doing everything as i should regarding diet, but i am exercising regularly. thanks so much for all the advice! Really want to get there! Start Weight                               19 stone 8  Current Weight                             18 stone 5 Total Weight Lost                           17  pounds (1 stone, 3 pounds) Weight to lose to reach target-      3 stone 1 pound
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Nice going Greg!

Good job you had that recent ME win, you are going to need some new clothes at this rate!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Nice going Greg! Good job you had that recent ME win, you are going to need some new clothes at this rate!
    Posted by TheDart

He can't afford a bloody lettuce atm nvm a new onesie! 

#BadLiferollmanagement
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : He can't afford a bloody lettuce atm nvm a new onesie!  #BadLiferollmanagement
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Lol, So that's his secret is it, blow his money so he can't afford any food! :)
  • edited February 2012
    Nice 1 Greg, your way ahead of me on this challenge so far! 

Had a tough couple of weeks...Was away with work on a residential training course for 4 days so ate a lot of stuff I probably should not have but I did resist all the deserts on offer but it was hard considering I didn't have a choice of what I ate due to it being a set menu but made sure my portions were small rather than having my plate filled to the brim as I would have done pre January! 

Came home on thursday evening from the training and left for Dublin on friday...I drank like a fish and the Guiness was lush, I did resist every kebab, take away after each session but still ate more than I should have!
    I came home on tuesday morning and instantly weighed myself and I had put on 5lbs, FML!! 

Went back to my normal routine since tuesday and weighed myself this morning and I was 18st 10lbs so a 1lbs gain overall but I truely thought it would be more so not overlly unhappy but not thrilled either obviously. 

A lot of hard work ahead but two weeks in Hong Kong beckons so that is another little hurdle but we shall see. 
  • edited April 2012

Evening all, just thought I'd give this a bump and see how things were?

This thread had inspired me to take up my own get fit/healthier drive for 2012, which started ok but then inevitably drowned in a sea of KFC's and Maccy D's in the cold, hard months of Winter.

So I've started again and set myself the goal of getting all ship-shape in time4the Olympics! I think the Greg v Dylan challenge was supposed to conclude in June iirc?

So would be great to hear how they're doing, good or bad - still plenty of time4another health kick b4 the summer!
  • edited April 2012
    Ok so this had faltered somewhat.  I've spoken to both candidates and it has been decided we're doing a reboot.

Changes are afoot, a new weigh in will be made.  The end date will now be the SPT Grand Final.  And there is a chance we have new runners alongside Dylan and Greg.  Could those people who expressed an interest at the Cardiff SPT please post their entry here or PM me.

More details to follow.
  • edited February 2013
    Wow, just re-read this thread

Needed some inspiration as I am beginning my diet challenge tomorrow. 

I have no idea how much I weigh atm but I know I need to lose a lot of weight!! 

Thought I would re bump this thread and see where it takes us, there is no challenge in place versus Greg this time and unfortunatley due to unforseen circumstances last time this flopped a bit but we both did lose some weight which obviously got put back on! 

I didn't want to begin my diet in January as is the norm as everyone does that so I enjoyed myself last month but now the hard work begins. 

Greg or anyone else interested in joining in then please do as I could use all the help/motivation. 

I will post my weight and targets tomorrow, I will be weighing in before work but will probably post everything on here after work. 

Good luck to myslef and anyone else interested in joining!! 
  • edited February 2013

Good luck Dylan! <<<<said with no sarcasm!

I think you should start a new thread though.....or even a diary (we need a few more of those!), so we can follow your progress.
  • edited February 2013
    Good luck Dylan! <<<<said with no sarcasm! I think you should start a new thread though.....or even a diary (we need a few more of those!), so we can follow your progress.
    Posted by MAXALLY

Thanks Alan :) 

Decided to update here as there is some really good advice in this thread that some may have not seen before...even Rich Orford made sense in his posts and that doesn't happen often ;) 

I will be updating elsewhere as well so if no one wants to join or read this then I will just update there anyway :) 

Hoping that playing poker on here will help as well in taking my mind off the food :) 

• edited February 2013
    Right anyway, here goes... 

I weighed myself this morning and from that have set myself the following target:- 

Starting Weight:- 18st 4lbs

Target Weight:- 16st 4lbs 

I haven't set a definate deadline to achieve this goal but would like to achieve it by at least the end of June.  

As an incentive for myself, I am 90% sure that I will be able to go to Las Vegas again this Summer but need to tie a few things together before then (have a mates wedding in August and the Stag is in July so awaiting dates of that to see if it is possible to attend the stag and Vegas). However, if I am not down to at least 17st by the end of May then I will not be going to Las Vegas come what may!! 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg :   Thanks Alan :)  Decided to update here as there is some really good advice in this thread that some may have not seen before...even Rich Orford made sense in his posts and that doesn't happen often ;)  I will be updating elsewhere as well so if no one wants to join or read this then I will just update there anyway :)  Hoping that playing poker on here will help as well in taking my mind off the food :) 
    Posted by dylan12

You should play the DTD* tonight then! The play is that manic you dont have time to eat, let alone think about eating. Mind you, it does turn you to the drink  :)

*shameless plug