You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg

Comments

• edited January 2012

Its all going great! ty for all the posts

Will update properly in the morning when i do the first weight check as im not about tonight

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg:
    Its all going great! ty for all the posts Will update properly in the morning when i do the first weight check as im not about tonight
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Out on a Friday night Greg?  I'm of course assuming this is a late night museum visit.  Or perhaps volunteering at a local shelter.
  • edited January 2012
    bit of advice boys weigh youself after a good erm.... (poo)
  • edited January 2012
    Because I care.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Is that a whole tin of beans!?
  • edited January 2012
    Tikay I never thought you could be so cruel
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Your easily pleased rich !
    Posted by 1267

Lol! Yep, I'm a cheap date.

You should see what I'll do for strawberries...
  • edited January 2012
    Can I give you some advice about the smoking Dylan? In my opinion starting a diet and giving up smoking at the same time is a nigh impossible job. It's a well known fact that when you quit the cigs your appetite increases and you put on weight. I quit 3 years ago and my weight increased without even trying. I would say maybe try to cut down the cigs. An easy way to try this is to put them away somewhere so they aren't by your side all the time and you have to make an effort to get one. Put the diet first and even if you are still smoking you will still feel the benefit from some exercise
    Posted by FlyingDagg

This is good advice. Giving up smoking does increase your appetite. So although the eventual idea is to eradicate it completely, cutting down in the meantime is probably the best policy to ensure you don't throw in the towel on the whole challenge.

Do it by small degrees, just like the increase in exercise and adjustments to the diet.
    Each day it's a tiny bit better than the day before.
  • edited January 2012
    Good luck with the weigh-in guys!
  • edited January 2012
    Can I give you some advice about the smoking Dylan? In my opinion starting a diet and giving up smoking at the same time is a nigh impossible job. It's a well known fact that when you quit the cigs your appetite increases and you put on weight. I quit 3 years ago and my weight increased without even trying. I would say maybe try to cut down the cigs. An easy way to try this is to put them away somewhere so they aren't by your side all the time and you have to make an effort to get one. Put the diet first and even if you are still smoking you will still feel the benefit from some exercise
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Thanks for the post mate, your right about not giving up straight away, I don't think I could really concentrate on losing weight, excersising and going cold turkey! Im not a heavy smoker but I could certinally cut down some more so thanks for the tip about putting them somewhere that I have to make an effort to go get them - may also help with the excersising ;) 
  • edited January 2012
    No updates for 2 days now. Hope its going well boys. Whens the first weigh in?
    Posted by splashies
    Sorry for the lack of updates but been a bit hectic - had a 8am - 9.30pm day at work yesterday and today wasn't much better! 
  • edited January 2012
    Rich, that was some great advice.  Thank you very much for the posts, loads of honest experience spoken from the heart.  Top banana. Also thanks to everyone who have given advice and encouragement on this thread.  Thanks to Tikay as well. Ok guys, tomorrow for the inaugural weigh in then.  I would advise you to weigh yourself at the same time every week, and with the previous discussion in the thread being Saturday morning, after the AM *ahem* of course.  Let's try to get this at the same time every week for an accurate idea of how everyone is doing.  If you need a running buddy to get you going I'll do the same for the first few weeks and post it on here.  I'm trying to obtain fighting weight myself.
    Posted by TommyD
    Yeah, when I get up tomorrow I will weigh in and post.

Not looking forward to the weigh in and expecting much tbh, last couple of days I have eaten okish but at the wrong times etc due to work commitments but that should not really be an excuse. 

Diet last couple of days have gone something like this food wise - 

Crunchy nut for brekkie
    Fruit mid morning
    Chicken casserole, mash, carrots, cauliflower (yesterday) Tuna and mayo sandwich on wholemeal bread today
    Mid afternoon apple or bananna and grapes
    Dinner consisted of Shepperds pie and veg last night and a plate full of ham salad tonight. 
    Had a handfull of peanuts before dinner last night as well due to it being a late one. 

Excersise = Zero really but I am walking much more in work and use the stairs all the time instead of the lifts. 

I spoke to a colleague yesterday who is going to help me with the excercise side of things, he is writing a programme for me this weekend. He encouraged me to have a cheat day as well when I feel like one and to not fight the cravings 24/7. I am feeling ok atm but if I feel like I need a cheat day then I will have one - obviously this consists of one cheat i.e. a takeaway, fry up etc and only allowed once a week maximum - but we shall see about this and I will cross that bridge when I get to it. 

I very much need to get into more of a routine with all of this and get into gear with the excersising!!

• edited January 2012
    Quick question, how much calories should I be eating?

Had a chat with Greg last night and he consumes like 600-800 calories a day but I am way over that and think he is consuming to little - any thoughts/advice? 
  • edited January 2012
    hi dylan, im using that nicotine spray, been using it for 8 mnths. havnt had a ciggie since i been on it. feel sooo much better and coz im still taking in the nicotine its still acting as an appetite depressant.

• edited January 2012
    Because I care.
    Posted by Tikay10
    What took you so long?

I was expecting you to post way before now :) 

Your the king of diets, you not fancy joining us? I think you should seriously consider it ;) 
  • edited January 2012
    hi dylan, im using that nicotine spray, been using it for 8 mnths. havnt had a ciggie since i been on it. feel sooo much better and coz im still taking in the nicotine its still acting as an appetite depressant.
    Posted by pod1
    Hi Poddy

I tried the gum before but that was rubbish.
    I thought of trying the inhaler thingy but may try the spray.
    How hard was it for you to give up with the spray? 
    Do you find it helps with poker not having to sit out and go for a ciggy? 
  • edited January 2012
    tbf i was drinking 2 bottles of wine and 20 ciggies a nite whilst playing of an evening. still have a bottle whilst playing but i thought i would miss the ciggies (40 a day for 25yrs) but this spray is brill. ok it tastes like menthol pepper spray mixed with mace, but eveytime i think " i could do with a ciggie" i have 2 blasts and feeling is gone. still have to get off this now, but doc has prescribed it and said she will carry on for life as long as it keeps me off them. she says the nicotine wont kill you its the rest of the xxxx that will.
  • edited January 2012
    tbf i was drinking 2 bottles of wine and 20 ciggies a nite whilst playing of an evening. still have a bottle whilst playing but i thought i would miss the ciggies (40 a day for 25yrs) but this spray is brill. ok it tastes like menthol pepper spray mixed with mace, but eveytime i think " i could do with a ciggie" i have 2 blasts and feeling is gone. still have to get off this now, but doc has prescribed it and said she will carry on for life as long as it keeps me off them. she says the nicotine wont kill you its the rest of the xxxx that will.
    Posted by pod1
    Thanks for posting that mate! 

Food for thought there, no offence intended here but if you (a 40day smoker) can do it anyone can so no excuse really - well done on giving up mate, keep up the good work :) 
  • edited January 2012
    cheers bud, had a goal to do it as well, brought myself an r6 motorbike with the money i woulda spent that year on ciggies, and the insurance on the car is paid for from the money saved from the -1 bottle of wine. now i can kill myself on the bike instaed lol. gl mate. just stay focussed

• edited January 2012
    Plain and simple, you lose weight when you are burning more calories than you are taking in, I know it's stating the obvious but it's surprising how many people find other reasons (or excuses) for why they're not losing weight. Obviously if you wanna be healthy (as most people do), then you gotta eat healthy, but in terms of losing weight it has zero to do with the splits of protein, carbs and fat.

The body is just a machine with the calories being fuel and it doesn't matter how they come. For information, there are 8 calories in 1g of fat, and 4 calories in 1g of protein or 1g of carbs. So yes fat is twice as calorific gram for gram, but the only thing that matters is your total calorie intake.

What you need is to work out you're 'maintenance', the amount of calories you need to have per day for you to stay the exact same weigh. There are lots of sites that have the method to calculate this but every person is different so it will get you in the right ballpark but you'll need to do a bit of trial and error, eating a certain amount and checking your weight weekly. Then if you reduce that amount by 500 calories per day, that will result in a deficit of 3500 per week which is the equivelant of losing 1lb. You can lose the 500 calories per day either by lowering your food, increasing your exercise or a combination of the two.
  • edited January 2012

I made a big mistake last night, I had four diet energy drinks which are full of bubbles and caffeine. Consequently, spent most of the night farrting and burping and hardly getting any sleep. Won't be doing that again, although calorie wise your looking at about 20, as opposed to the usual Friday night intake of about 1k, which would be cider or wine. 

This week diet wise I have been consistent. I estimate an intake of about 1k to 1.5k calories per day. Also, I have been advised by over concerned colleagues at work that I am not eating enough. Isn't it amazing that everyone knows my body better than I do!? I mean, I have felt brilliant all week, full of energy and enthusiasm, I have not once felt tired which was a regular occurrence when I was living on takeaways and cider. I mean, come on, Im hardly starving, i have enough fat reserves to feed Cambodia for a month. Just let me get on with it please! 

Now, it's Wheetabix for breakfast. Before didn't bother with breakfast. Also I'm having at least one banana in the morning, maybe two. At work we have a trolley boy who goes round selling, crisps, cakes, fizzy drinks etc. He has commission targets or he will get the sack. I managed to personally pay for his Christmas bonus with the amount of junk I purchased from him last year, but last night, i saw him outside Primark sleeping in a cardboard box with a sign saying "hungry because hoggers wont buy my mars bars!" I suggested he restock with healthy stuff, so hopefully, he will come back next week with a load of organic rice cakes and half a pawpaw.

This week has not just been about consistency in diet, I have got into a proper routine where I am actually looking after myself properly. This may be a basic, but it's amazing how far I had let my standards fall. I have reassessed the flop, turn and river of life, and there are many past mistakes that need to be learnt from. This time, i'm not giving in. In fact, i'm off in a minute to do some voluntary overtime at work. Bizarre, as this time last Saturday, i was nursing the hangover from Hell, having played internet poker for hours, while drinking crazy amounts of alcohol and losing too many hyper hu sit and goes. Also, I probably consumed more calories last Friday alone, than I have done all week.

My Lunches this week have been soup based, with salad, carrots and yoghurts. Dinner (or tea if you are northern) is Quorn (low in fat and high in protein) and lots of green vegetables. Drinks wise, mainly black coffee, water, diet fizzy drinks, and a 40 calorie cup of Cadbury Highlights before bed. 

I have not really done any exercise other than the 15 minute walk to work and back. Although, rather comedically, I have started bursting into mini jogs on the way back, whilst carrying one of those Asda bag's for life, consisting of Longlife skimmed milk, grapes and mangos.

So, if you are still with me, onto the weight loss for the week

Start Weight                                19 stone 8 

Current Weight            19 stone 2

Weight Lost            6 pounds

Weight to lose to reach target-     3 stone 12 pounds

I didn't start the diet properly until 3rd January, it's now the 7th. So delighted with the first weekly result. This week, I am hoping to lose a minimum of 3 pounds, but secretly hoping to lose another 6. I will also be playing badminton on Monday hopefully. Oh the joy, back to my banana. GL Dylan. 

• edited January 2012

Well Done on your first week, losing 6lbs is a great start, but remember the first week is always the easiest as your body isn't aware of the change until after it happens! 

Don't be disheartened if this week you find that you either don't lose or just drop a little. A Healthy weight loss is between 4 - 8 lbs per month, so 6 in the first week is very encouraging.

Keep up the good work

Keith
  • edited January 2012
    well done hoggers, great start. after taking down the northern half of tkp with an awesome display of 10 seater sngs as well you must be feeling very good about life at the moment. keep up the good work   a+
  • edited January 2012
    Nice post Gregdonk

I just weighed myself and I am now 18 Stone 1lbs so I believe (Tommy pleasce check cos I am to lazy and I am hungry cos im writing this before brekkie) a 5lbs loss. I am well happy with this so a good start for both myself and Greg. 

There is a long way to go and I/we really appreciate everyones support here, your advice, encouragenment and experiences really do help spur us on - if your not here posting then I try to avoid posting because I know that what we write at times are boring and don't want to bore others but it is a real help for me to post to keep myself focussed and mitivated so keep on our backs if you want to. 

Off to get my brekfast, eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread, mushrooms, beans, toast, h a sh browns - that was my usual saturday fry up with the lads every saturday, today is crunchy nut. 

• edited January 2012
    dont dis the crunchy nut!!!

• edited January 2012
    dont dis the crunchy nut!!!
    Posted by pod1
    Im not, Im a mahoosive fan of it :) 
  • edited January 2012
    has anyone switched their poker chair for a giant spacehopper yet.
  • edited January 2012
    has anyone switched their poker chair for a giant spacehopper yet.
    Posted by leon621
    lol, class! 
  • edited January 2012
    Nice post Gregdonk I just weighed myself and I am now 18 Stone 1lbs so I believe (Tommy pleasce check cos I am to lazy and I am hungry cos im writing this before brekkie) a 5lbs loss. I am well happy with this so a good start for both myself and Greg.  There is a long way to go and I/we really appreciate everyones support here, your advice, encouragenment and experiences really do help spur us on - if your not here posting then I try to avoid posting because I know that what we write at times are boring and don't want to bore others but it is a real help for me to post to keep myself focussed and mitivated so keep on our backs if you want to.  Off to get my brekfast, eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread, mushrooms, beans, toast, h a sh browns - that was my usual saturday fry up with the lads every saturday, today is crunchy nut. 
    Posted by dylan12
    Yes Dyl it's a 5lb loss to start.

Nice start both, but now the real challenge begins.  It's always easy at the start, it'll be the coming weeks that test your metal.

Well I'm off to Spurs and then the pub for the day to refresh after playing like a donk for all month to date.

For the record, my weigh in was 170lbs.
  • edited January 2012
    sounds a bit like spurs ."nice start", "now the real challange" "time to test the metal" 12st  tommy! you are a light weight :-)
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : Out on a Friday night Greg?  I'm of course assuming this is a late night museum visit.  Or perhaps volunteering at a local shelter.
    Posted by TommyD
    Lol it was actually a game of fun poker round a friends house. No money in play, and a few beginner players. I hope i didnt ruin it with my constant guessing of their cards and getting it completely wrong haha