You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Definetly keep a food diary.

If you do it on that website I provided a link for you can see how many calories you've eaten and it will inform you if you're eating too many or too few.

• edited January 2012
    Try and start making your own curries greg,using your own spices and flavours.You don't see many obese indians in india do ya !! Good luck both,Dave.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg:
    Bad news your both still as big as a House............ good news House prices are rising. ? Are you taking this seriously Hogg!
    Posted by logdon
    Yes I am

I had a bit of a shock this morning when i stepped on the scales. No, it didn't say "ONE AT A TIME PLEASE", but it did say 19 stone 10 pounds!! aargh

So, today I hae eaten only healthy things so far. I had a muller rice for breakfast and 2 bananas, and some carrots for lunch. For tea I will hae a quorn cottage pie (£1 from Asda) and its only 200 calories and hardly any fat.

I also walked briskley to and from work about 1/2 hour in the driving rain!

My next target is to get to 19 stone, which i hope to achieve within the next two weeks.

I can't wait to get my first gold star from Tommy. I saw him afterwards last night and it wasnt pleasent. I must be a good boy from now on innit :)
  • edited January 2012
    Today I ate porridge for brekkie, mid-morning I had an apple, I had a tuna, mayo and spring onion sandwich for lunch followed by an alpen bar and a bunch of grapes. Mid afternoon I had a bananna. For dinner I had a chicken br3ast, broccoli, scoop of mashed potato, carrotts and some gravy (Bisto). I have some low fat yougurt in the fridge, may have that later if peckish. 

I am really struggling with the excersise part tbh, I read Greg has some brisk walks, I don't even do that, I don't have the motivation for it for some reason, sounds stupid I know because I should be full of beans and be all keen to walk/jog, but im not. I need to sort this. 

Poker wise, I have not played much so can't judge whether the change of diet is affecting me or not. 
  • edited January 2012
    Today I ate porridge for brekkie, mid-morning I had an apple, I had a tuna, mayo and spring onion sandwich for lunch followed by an alpen bar and a bunch of grapes. Mid afternoon I had a bananna. For dinner I had a chicken br3ast, broccoli, scoop of mashed potato, carrotts and some gravy (Bisto). I have some low fat yougurt in the fridge, may have that later if peckish. I am really struggling with the excersise part tbh, I read Greg has some brisk walks, I don't even do that, I don't have the motivation for it for some reason, sounds stupid I know because I should be full of beans and be all keen to walk/jog, but im not. I need to sort this.  Poker wise, I have not played much so can't judge whether the change of diet is affecting me or not. 
    Posted by dylan12
    I'm lucky that i don't drive which means i much walk everywhere, as i cant afford taxis. My walk to work each day, i am doing quicker, and I am also making a conscious effort to use the stairs only at my office where the temptation exists to use the lift to go up two flights of stairs!

Dylan, im sorry you feel like your struggling a little... I don't think the excerise is as crucial as the diet in the early stages of this challenge. If you cut out the fatty stuff and consume less calories than your body naturally burns, you will lose weight anyway, and this will motivate you to start exercising. Why not suggest a game of badminton, tennis or squash with a friend as a starter? Jogging/walking solo is pretty boring unless there is a purpose to your trip.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: The Bulkroll Challenge 2012 - Dylan Versus GregHogg : I'm lucky that i don't drive which means i much walk everywhere, as i cant afford taxis. My walk to work each day, i am doing quicker, and I am also making a conscious effort to use the stairs only at my office where the temptation exists to use the lift to go up two flights of stairs! Dylan, im sorry you feel like your struggling a little... I don't think the excerise is as crucial as the diet in the early stages of this challenge. If you cut out the fatty stuff and consume less calories than your body naturally burns, you will lose weight anyway, and this will motivate you to start exercising. Why not suggest a game of badminton, tennis or squash with a friend as a starter? Jogging/walking solo is pretty boring unless there is a purpose to your trip.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I also take the stairs instead of the lift, but I always did this anyway. 

I may look into doing some squash, I have to drive half an hour to get a game though but playing badminton is an option - although I have no clue how to play it! 

The leisure industry plays a part in my work so I will look at asking these colleagues for their advice as well as I know some of them would genuinly like to help me out. 

Thanks for your response Greg, appreciated mate. 
  • edited January 2012

There are plenty of sports that can be found at Al's Bar, the shed.

We have got a pool table, darts, poker, crib and even bar billards.

We also serve diet coke   ☺ 

Plus you could walk there too.....
  • edited January 2012
    Dylan  You can still exercise playing poker sat down.   How,  well cut down on the tables you play so when you fold your 72 o you have time to put your hands under the seat you are sitting on, pull up as if to lift yourself up off the ground at the same time push your feet down on the floor.  Do this as often as you can till next hand then repeat every time you fold. Change it to trying to touch the ceiling then your shoulders if you get fed up with that link hands and pull against each other, fed up with that put each hand on respective knee and do a treadle step up down up down pushing against the knee lifting.  Not quite a six mile run but better than nothing and you still get to play poker. win win    Hugs x 
  • edited January 2012
    Dylan, i am sure Tikay would take you for a nice long nature walk!

In all seriousness Dylan, exercise can be a bit boring at times but trust me, you feel better for it. Even just after exercising, you body releases endorphothingies that give you a natural buzz. Just get off you bottom and take yourself off somewhere nice and have a little 3 or 4 mile walk. You must have something near where you live. Example, i live in Skipton in Yorkshire, its on the Leeds/Liverpool canal so me and the missus sometimes walk along there. There are Skipton woods, lovely in the spring when things are coming to life (and the odd deer if your early enough) but even better in the snow! The Lakes are only an hour away, the 3-peaks 40 mins away. There will be something near you. Get a local books and get yourself off somewhere, it sounds boring, i used to play football and if someone said i would enjoy walking when i knocked it on the head i would have laughed but there is something to be said about putting in some hard work and getting a glimpse of something spectacular when you get there.

When i gave up playing, i put weight on, not loads but enough for me to grow concerned, so i bought myself a bicycle and started going the 5 mile to work and 5 mile back again every day and the weight has fallen away and now i can go for 30 to 40 miles no problem on a Sunday morning, on my own, peace and quiet, over the hills of Yorkshire. Its great.

Basically, (i am rambling again, sorry) there will be something out there for you and it isnt necessarily the thing you think. At the moment, you have a blank page, use the opportunity to try new things and meet new people. You like squash and badminton, what about martial arts? Boxing training? Gym classes? Jogging? Cycling? Swimming? You may find some of these amusing, but seriously, just try a few and see which ones you enjoy.

Sort it or i will send Tikay with his duck book!
  • edited January 2012
    Message from my missus, for exercise seriously get into walking.
    Posted by TommyD
    She's got a good point. I lost a stone and a half during my end-to-end, which was essentially a glorified pub crawl during which I lived off beer, bar meals and fast foods.
  • edited January 2012

How have i missed this!!! 

off to get a chip and kebab butty and to think of a way to support you guys. 

Dai

• edited January 2012
    Right lads- think you're both great, as you know, and have full respect for what you're doing here.

So- for what it's worth- here's my advice, from my own experience of losing the majority of a beer-gut in the space of around a year and also getting fit enough to run 3 miles without dying, having previously run about 10 seconds maximum!

Firstly- it's mostly food. Say 75% about the diet and 25% about the exercise. So, ditch everything that's bad for you. You know the stuff. Cigarettes, chocolate, burgers, chips, beer, fizzy drinks etc etc- completely erase these.

But also cut right down on fruit juice (seems healthy but contains natural sugar), bread, pasta, rice etc. as much as possible because it's fattening. Try not to eat any of these foods after 6pm. Yeah, I know just like the film 'Gremlins.' Also, make sure you eat a good breakfast- the best one is porridge- it will fill you up with good nutrition and stop you from pigging out for the rest of the day. Add some blueberries to make it a little more interesting.

After breakfast, eat little and often. Every 3 hours something 'snacky' like nuts, chicken, salad, banana etc. Have a small lunch and a small dinner. The idea is you're trying to make your body stop it's habit of storing all the food on the belly because it's not sure when you're eating next and therefore is making sure it has emergency supplies of fat. If it 'knows' you eat very regularly, your metabolism will naturally speed up. It won't store as much fat for a rainy day.

Aim to go hardcore cold-turkey with this food thing, but don't beat yourself up if you occasionally lapse. Just shrug it off, pick yourself up and crack on immediately with the diet. Whatever you do, don't fall off the wagon thinking 'Well, I've eaten 5 biscuits, what's the point? I've lost the momentum now- I may as well eat badly for the next few days".
    You are human- think of the whole thing as 'two steps forward, one step back'. You're making progress overall, even if you slip occasionally.

Don't drink alcohol ideally. Especially beer. If you must, then stick to wine or something like vodka with diet tonic. And try to make it social drinking at the pub rather than drinking out of habit at home.

Drink lots of water. Loads and loads of water. It fills you up and helps your body operate better.

Eat as much protein as you can- things like chicken, salmon, vegetables. Snacks like nuts.

Get your 'sweet' fix, if you need one, with a protein shake, or protein chocolate bar.

Weirdly, once you start eating healthily, it takes on a life of it's own and you start looking at cakes and thinking they look a little bit disgusting. It's all about momentum.

Exercise- start at the absolute bare minimum you can manage and each new session do slightly more. If you go overboard, you run the risk of damaging yourself and/or putting yourself off doing any more for ages.
    You want to get to the point where you're actually looking forward to going to the gym/going for a run etc. Yes, hard to believe it's possible, but it is. Take it from a man who hated the gym with a passion for practically 20 years.

Don't just do cardio e.g. running, do some weights as well. This is because building muscle makes your body more efficient at burning fat. So if you're looking to lose weight do a mixture of both.

iPods ftw at the gym or if you're running! Stick on music which motivates you- not your favourite dark indie miserable music but something uplifting- OR find some podcasts which you can really get immersed in- interesting talkshows, poker podcasts(!) etc. You won't believe the difference it makes. You won't notice how hard the exercise is if you're listening to something engrossing and music (the right stuff that floats your boat) will spur you on. I've had everything on the iPod from Eminem to classical music and I've got a really good gym playlist of tried and trusted tracks which make me motivated. If it slows you down then get rid of it and keep experimenting.

Keep a record of your progress-a food diary (maybe on here?) and exercise diary, so you can see yourself moving forward.

Don't get too hung up about how much you weigh from one day to the next. if you stick to the plan then you WILL lose weight eventually, but your day-to-day objective should always be simply to improve your fitness slowly and steadily on the day before via diet and exercise. If you're doing weights you might even put on some weight at first as muscle is heavier than fat, so don't be disheartened if this happens, you're still heading in the right direction.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm happy to answer any questions or elaborate further should you wish it!

Good luck guys. If it helps any, I'm also doing the whole health thing in January after an excessive December, so I'm right with ya!

:-)
  • edited January 2012

Rich, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

The only thing im not sure about is doing weights, as i don't wish to join a gym. I guess i could lift tins of beans at home though! lol I will be walking/jogging and playing badminton weekly, also hope to find a game of fun footie locally.

The food part is the bit which I'm fine with (im not a great biscuit fan like certian Welsh people (Diaboot), and i guess that a ban on alcohol makes perfect sense. But I'm not sure i can manage this! I guess the best way is to use a glass of wine (or 2) as a treat once i hae reached a weight target.

Still going good today, only 180 ish days to go

• edited January 2012
    gl guys if you like kebabs meat pies and all the greasy bacon butties fried egg butties and best of all eggy bread leave them for me i will carry the flag  eating all the above and swilling it down with a few cheeky lagers. Best of luck may the the biggest loser be a winner. (team hogg ) ftw
  • edited January 2012
    Right lads- think you're both great, as you know, and have full respect for what you're doing here. So- for what it's worth- here's my advice, from my own experience of losing the majority of a beer-gut in the space of around a year and also getting fit enough to run 3 miles without dying, having previously run about 10 seconds maximum! Firstly- it's mostly food. So, ditch everything that's bad. You know the stuff. Chocolate, beer, fizzy drinks etc etc but also ditch fruit juice (seems healthy but contains natural sugar), bread, pasta, rice etc. as much as possible because it's fattening. Try not to eat any of these foods after 6pm. Yeah, I know just like the film 'Gremlins.' Also, make sure you eat a good breakfast- the best one is porridge- it will fill you up and stop you from pigging out for the rest of the day. Aim to go hardcore cold-turkey with this food thing, but don't beat yourself up if you occasionally lapse. Just shrug it off, pick yourself up and crack on immediately with the diet. Whatever you do, don't fall off the wagon thinking 'Well, I've eaten 5 biscuits, what's the point? I've lost the momentum now- I may as well eat badly for the next few days". You are human- think of the whole thing as 'two steps forward, one step back'. You're making progress overall, even if you slip occasionally. Don't drink alcohol ideally. Especially beer. If you must, then stick to wine or something like vodka with diet tonic. And try to make it social drinking at the pub rather than drinking out of habit at home. Drink lots of water. Loads and loads of water. It fills you up and helps your body operate better. Eat as much protein as you can- things like chicken, salmon, vegetables. Snacks like nuts. Get your 'sweet' fix, if you need one, with a protein shake, or protein chocolate bar. Weirdly, once you start eating healthily, it takes on a life of it's own and you start looking at cakes and thinking they look a little bit disgusting. It's all about momentum. Exercise- start at the absolute bare minimum you can manage and each new session do slightly more. If you go overboard, you run the risk of damaging yourself and/or putting yourself off doing any more for ages. You want to get to the point where you're actually looking forward to going to the gym/going for a run etc. Yes, hard to believe it's possible, but it is. Take it from a man who hated the gym with a passion for practically 20 years. Don't just do cardio e.g. running, do some weights as well. This is because building muscle makes your body more efficient at burning fat. So if you're looking to lose weight do a mixture of both. iPods ftw at the gym or if you're running! Stick on music which motivates you- not your favourite dark indie miserable music but something uplifting- OR find some podcasts which you can really get immersed in- interesting talkshows, poker podcasts(!) etc. You won't believe the difference it makes. You won't notice how hard the exercise is if you're listening to something engrossing and music (the right stuff that floats your boat) will spur you on. I've had everything on the iPod from Eminem to classical music and I've got a really good gym playlist of tried and trusted tracks which make me motivated. If it slows you down then get rid of it and keep experimenting. Keep a record of your progress-a food diary (maybe on here?) and exercise diary, so you can see yourself moving forward. Don't get too hung up about how much you weigh from one day to the next. if you stick to the plan then you WILL lose weight, but your day-to-day objective should always be simply to improve on the day before, in getting yourself slowly but steadily fitter via diet and exercise. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm happy to answer any questions or elaborate further should you wish it! Good luck guys. If it helps any, I'm also doing the whole health thing in January after an excessive December, so I'm right with ya! :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Taken your advice and read your notes. Will try hard. Will keep you posted .Thanks!
  • edited January 2012
    No worries, chaps. Best of luck!
  • edited January 2012
    Dylan  You can still exercise playing poker sat down.   How,  well cut down on the tables you play so when you fold your 72 o you have time to put your hands under the seat you are sitting on, pull up as if to lift yourself up off the ground at the same time push your feet down on the floor.  Do this as often as you can till next hand then repeat every time you fold. Change it to trying to touch the ceiling then your shoulders if you get fed up with that link hands and pull against each other, fed up with that put each hand on respective knee and do a treadle step up down up down pushing against the knee lifting.  Not quite a six mile run but better than nothing and you still get to play poker. win win    Hugs x 
    Posted by logdon
    This is awesome, will definatly try a few of these, thanks for that, a little excersise is better than nothing, little steps and all that :) 
  • edited January 2012
    Dylan, i am sure Tikay would take you for a nice long nature walk! In all seriousness Dylan, exercise can be a bit boring at times but trust me, you feel better for it. Even just after exercising, you body releases endorphothingies that give you a natural buzz. Just get off you bottom and take yourself off somewhere nice and have a little 3 or 4 mile walk. You must have something near where you live. Example, i live in Skipton in Yorkshire, its on the Leeds/Liverpool canal so me and the missus sometimes walk along there. There are Skipton woods, lovely in the spring when things are coming to life (and the odd deer if your early enough) but even better in the snow! The Lakes are only an hour away, the 3-peaks 40 mins away. There will be something near you. Get a local books and get yourself off somewhere, it sounds boring, i used to play football and if someone said i would enjoy walking when i knocked it on the head i would have laughed but there is something to be said about putting in some hard work and getting a glimpse of something spectacular when you get there. When i gave up playing, i put weight on, not loads but enough for me to grow concerned, so i bought myself a bicycle and started going the 5 mile to work and 5 mile back again every day and the weight has fallen away and now i can go for 30 to 40 miles no problem on a Sunday morning, on my own, peace and quiet, over the hills of Yorkshire. Its great. Basically, (i am rambling again, sorry) there will be something out there for you and it isnt necessarily the thing you think. At the moment, you have a blank page, use the opportunity to try new things and meet new people. You like squash and badminton, what about martial arts? Boxing training? Gym classes? Jogging? Cycling? Swimming? You may find some of these amusing, but seriously, just try a few and see which ones you enjoy. Sort it or i will send Tikay with his duck book!
    Posted by DrSharp

Thanks for this mate. back in University I used to train or play rugby 6 times a week but due to some issues I had to give it all up and have not been able to get back into excersise at all. I never used to love training but loved it during game day so it was a compromise that I knew I had to do, if you didn't train then you didn't play so that always kept me motivated. 

I think I will be starting circuit training again, I used to go once a week and I actually enjoyed it in a weird way so I will definatley look at getting back into this. 

Thanks for taking the time to write some excellent advice, please keep posting. 

• edited January 2012
    No worries, chaps. Best of luck!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Thanks for the massive post you made mate.

Tbh I haven't digested it all yet, there is so much to learn from your post. 
    I think I need to re-read it a few times to really understand it all because you have covered everything and my mind is in a spin! 

I think once I get going with the excercise I will be fine, it is just the thought of it atm. I like how you mention to do weights alongside the cardio, many others have said this to me as well but it is probably something I would not have thought of doing right away. 

Did you give yourself cheat days at all? or did you reward yourself when you reached certain goals?

I am going to re-read your post again in the future because I hope I can relate to a lot of it at various stages whilst undertaking this journey. 

Please feel free to update your current progress as well mate - the same goes to anyone else out there as well. 
  • edited January 2012
    Today I had some crunchy nut for brekfast, no snack mid morning, Chicken Soup with a roll (no butter), apple and bannana. Mid afternoon I had some grapes and a piece of small carrot cake. Dinner consisted of some ready meal similar to spagetti carbonara, only had a small portion of it though and shoved a load of carrots and broccoli on there as well. At 8pm I also had some low fat strawberry yougurt. Today I drank 3 litres of water and had 3 coffees (semi-skimmed milk, no sugar). 

Excercise = Non-existent. 
  • edited January 2012

Good luck to you both of you even some good advice from Mr Orford (Who'd of thunk  ;) )

• edited January 2012
    No worries, Dyl.

I've just gone back over my original post and added some stuff to it and clarified other bits.

I didn't give myself cheat days, but I'd go easy on myself if I had the odd cheat meal or cake/biscuit/burger etc.

But don't aim to give yourself cheat meals. Always aim for perfection- the lapses will come naturally anyway without you trying- and when they inevitably happen then go easy on yourself about it and push straight back on with eating well again.

All the stuff I've said is general consensus stuff and nothing is radical or left-field in it. It just works from the experience of a lot of people.

As for your diet today- pretty good on the whole.

It's a damn sight better than a fry-up but Crunchy Nut cornflakes contains a lot of sugar, mate. Swap it if you can for unsweetened muesli with skimmed milk, or better still, wholegrain organic porridge. Definitely eat a snack mid-morning. Banana or nuts. Otherwise you might get ravenous later and fall off the wagon. Always eat little and often. Starving yourself has the opposite effect of losing weight, you end up storing the fat because your body is bricking it that you won't put any more food in it for days!

Other than that, the diet looks pretty much on track.

Keep that up and you're laughing. Well, kind of laughing. I realise it's a really boring diet.

Next step- some exercise. Gotta be done. Just live with the pain of that- there's no avoiding it! Start out by walking briskly for exactly 30 minutes (time it on your phone countdown timer) at lunchtime somewhere pleasant whilst listening to some music. Pretty much anyone can do that and you'll feel better for it. Unless it's chucking it down. In which case, swerve it until the next day! Let's not become insane here! Lol!

Once you've got a bit of general walking under your belt then you can build from there. Maybe next week jog really lightly and slowly for exactly 5 minutes (no more, no less) and then walk the other 25. Then each day run exactly one minute more and walk one minute less of the 30.

That way, without really noticing a big jump-up anywhere along the line, you'll be running for 30 minutes non-stop within about a month.

Let me know how you get on.

I've been in the gym the last 3 days- not doing anything major but lifting a few light weights, generally reminding myself what the place looks like and having a nice shower-lol!

I haven't run though for about a month, thinking of giving it 10 minutes at some stage this week! Baby steps!
  • edited January 2012
    I like your idea of a 30mins walk tbh and adding in jogging, I will actually try this tomorrow at lunch time! 

With regards to the crunchy nut, I went by calories content on it and it wasn't that bad tbh, very similar to Special K (or have I just made that up lol), I know what your saying though, if it really that bad then I will cut it out. 

On previous days I had a mid morning stack which consisted of a piece of fruit but truely today I didn't need one, had a glass of water and that was enough for me today but I always carry a piece of fruit just in case I am hungry. 

One point from your original thread, you said we should give up cigarettes? That is a new one on me, I didn't think it would help me lose weight? FML if I have to give up smoking as well lol
  • edited January 2012
    Good luck to you both of you even some good advice from Mr Orford (Who'd of thunk  ;) )
    Posted by hawk7112
    Cheers Squakey, appreciate it dude :) 
  • edited January 2012
    I like your idea of a 30mins walk tbh and adding in jogging, I will actually try this tomorrow at lunch time!  With regards to the crunchy nut, I went by calories content on it and it wasn't that bad tbh, very similar to Special K (or have I just made that up lol), I know what your saying though, if it really that bad then I will cut it out.  On previous days I had a mid morning stack which consisted of a piece of fruit but truely today I didn't need one, had a glass of water and that was enough for me today but I always carry a piece of fruit just in case I am hungry.  One point from your original thread, you said we should give up cigarettes? That is a new one on me, I didn't think it would help me lose weight? FML if I have to give up smoking as well lol
    Posted by dylan12
    Yeah, it's a bit of a mare mate, but if you're serious about losing weight, you will need to stop smoking so you don't keel over when running.

Er, maybe just hold
    back on that one then for a couple of weeks till you've got the diet and exercise in place! To be honest, if you start properly exercising you won't feel like smoking. True story.

That said, I'm not some holier-than-thou fitness guru. All this take time, if, like me, you've spent all your life doing bad stuff to your health. You have to unlearn habits and addictions and you can't do it all in one go.

I've followed all my own advice for the most part last year, but I still messed up on several occasions and over December just gone it all went out the window- no exercising, eating anything I like and in large quantities, drinking profusely and smoking like a chimney.

January sucks, man!

Don't worry too much about the whole Crunchy Nut cornflakes thing- it's not that big a deal- esp if you were eating fry-ups or toast with jam or even nothing for breakfast before that! if that was the case, then it's a massive improvement!
  • edited January 2012
    No updates for 2 days now. Hope its going well boys.

Whens the first weigh in?
  • edited January 2012
    Right lads- think you're both great, as you know, and have full respect for what you're doing here. So- for what it's worth- here's my advice, from my own experience of losing the majority of a beer-gut in the space of around a year and also getting fit enough to run 3 miles without dying, having previously run about 10 seconds maximum! Firstly- it's mostly food. Say 75% about the diet and 25% about the exercise. So, ditch everything that's bad for you. You know the stuff. Cigarettes, chocolate, burgers, chips, beer, fizzy drinks etc etc- completely erase these. But also cut right down on fruit juice (seems healthy but contains natural sugar), bread, pasta, rice etc. as much as possible because it's fattening. Try not to eat any of these foods after 6pm. Yeah, I know just like the film 'Gremlins.' Also, make sure you eat a good breakfast- the best one is porridge- it will fill you up with good nutrition and stop you from pigging out for the rest of the day. Add some blueberries to make it a little more interesting. After breakfast, eat little and often. Every 3 hours something 'snacky' like nuts, chicken, salad, banana etc. Have a small lunch and a small dinner. The idea is you're trying to make your body stop it's habit of storing all the food on the belly because it's not sure when you're eating next and therefore is making sure it has emergency supplies of fat. If it 'knows' you eat very regularly, your metabolism will naturally speed up. Posted by RICHORFORD
    Your easily pleased rich !
  • edited January 2012
    Can I give you some advice about the smoking Dylan? In my opinion starting a diet and giving up smoking at the same time is a nigh impossible job. It's a well known fact that when you quit the cigs your appetite increases and you put on weight. I quit 3 years ago and my weight increased without even trying. I would say maybe try to cut down the cigs. An easy way to try this is to put them away somewhere so they aren't by your side all the time and you have to make an effort to get one. Put the diet first and even if you are still smoking you will still feel the benefit from some exercise
  • edited January 2012

Because I care.

• edited January 2012
    Rich, that was some great advice.  Thank you very much for the posts, loads of honest experience spoken from the heart.  Top banana.

Also thanks to everyone who have given advice and encouragement on this thread.  Thanks to Tikay as well.

Ok guys, tomorrow for the inaugural weigh in then.  I would advise you to weigh yourself at the same time every week, and with the previous discussion in the thread being Saturday morning, after the AM *ahem* of course.  Let's try to get this at the same time every week for an accurate idea of how everyone is doing.  If you need a running buddy to get you going I'll do the same for the first few weeks and post it on here.  I'm trying to obtain fighting weight myself.