You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Played the £11 Turbo last night which ended very quickly after the hand I posted in the clinic, wouldn't normally play an £11 MTT but I'm a bit better rolled for them now and it had ridic overlay that I couldn't turn down.

So that took me down to like £740. Played a load of Hypers today, started badly again, was probably £70 down at the lowest point, but got it back for a £9.50 profit. Might play a few more later just to get me to 2k points... nits can't turn down a free fiver lol.

Hands Played:     53,476
    Bankroll:              £748.87
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£173.48
    Poker Points:      1927 (£19.27)
  • edited December 2012
    still waiting for u to play 20 nl im getting sleepless nights here looking at find a player to find u only playing heads up lol
  • edited December 2012
    Right, that's me done for the night, and the month and the year. I just needed to play about 10 games to get to 2k so that's what I did. Didn't appreciate a little spurt of regs appearing though, had to play a few tougher games, but I managed to just about make £2.50 profit and I got to 2k points

Hands Played:     53,476
    Bankroll:              £751.37
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£173.48
    Poker Points:      2002 (£24.02)

It's hardly changed since the other post I did but I thought I might as well post my SS stats for SnGs. Hopefully New Years Eve next year I'll look back at this and see how much I've progressed.

Happy New Year All!
  • edited January 2013
    Seen as it's a new year, fresh start and all that, I'm gonna listen to people's advice and remove the profit/loss thing that just confuses people as it only relates to cash. I'll still be keeping track of it in my spreadsheet for cash so will probably give updates on how I'm doing in cash as I go but just less often. Might as well ditch the 'Hands Played' thing as well cos it's basically meaningless.

Dunno what my plans are for the month/year yet so I'll just go with the flow till I have a think, but one thing is for sure, I am not leaving cash behind by any means.

Played some Hypers today anyway and made a small loss of £23.50

Bankroll:   £727.87 (£24.02 C4P to come)

• edited January 2013
    Was having a chat with Dohhhh the other night about whether I'm just on a sick heater or not at Hypers cos I am doing pretty well so I got PatWalsh to scope my HU SnGs from 1st October to date and it's...

Games Played: 1,179
    Average Profit: £0.37
    Average Stake: £5.97
    ROI: 4.5%
    Profit: £438
    Rating: 65

Well happy to know this recent form isn't just unrealistically good. Like if my ROI was 10% I'd know there's no way I can keep that up but I always knew 4-5% was acheivable at Hypers :)
  • edited January 2013
    good luck for 2013, play the games you beat -
  • edited January 2013
    Another good night at the tables although it didn't start too well. Playing £10s (hypers) again, got off to a bit of a mare about was abuot £70 at one point, my opponents just kept smacking flops and there aint much you can do when they're doing that. But things picked up, I bumped into a very good reg (unfortunately) a few times, managed to get a couple of wins, and that set me off on a bit of a monster winning streak and managed to turn that £70 loss into a £56 profit.

Well frustrating cos I'd decided that the game I just lost would be my last regardless of the result but really wanted to win just cos it would push me over £800. Got it in once in a standard 60/40, can't even remember who was the 60 but postflop I was ahead until the river came down to take us back even, then we got it in A4 v Q4... I sigh as the first card out is a Q but then there's an A on the flop too :) but river is another Q... ah well.

Does mean I'll be £800+ when I get my C4P though.

Bankroll:   £783.87 (£24.02 C4P to come)
  • edited January 2013
    Pretty horrific night on the Hypers tonight, knew it was coming to be fair, I think I've played abuot 15-20 sessions since I started playing Hypers again and only had 1 very small losing session which is pretty ridiculous. So I knew I had it coming, was just hoping I could keep it below £100 loss but sadly it was just not to be tonight. Swings and swongs in Hypers but I love 'em.

I won't bore you with details but I played 62 games and barely won a single flip all night, literally like 1or2, lost soo many 70/30s, 60/40s and 40/60s, and one thing that's always massively frustrating lost like 5-6 games from the stacks being like 900 v 100. You gotta expect that every now and then but I had a lot of 'em tonight.

Either way, the loss is £151 dead on. Felt pretty rubbish abuot it but I looked at my SS after the session and realised in the grand scheme of things, it's still a fairly small dip in comparison to recent results. My BR is still far bigger than it ever has been (and C4P to come) and hopefully I've got that nasty session out the way.

Bankroll:   £632.87 (£24.02 C4P to come)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £783.87:
    Pretty horrific night on the Hypers tonight, knew it was coming to be fair, I think I've played abuot 15-20 sessions since I started playing Hypers again and only had 1 very small losing session which is pretty ridiculous. So I knew I had it coming, was just hoping I could keep it below £100 loss but sadly it was just not to be tonight. Swings and swongs in Hypers but I love 'em. I won't bore you with details but I played 62 games and barely won a single flip all night, literally like 1or2, lost soo many 70/30s, 60/40s and 40/60s, and one thing that's always massively frustrating lost like 5-6 games from the stacks being like 900 v 100. You gotta expect that every now and then but I had a lot of 'em tonight. Either way, the loss is £151 dead on. Felt pretty rubbish abuot it but I looked at my SS after the session and realised in the grand scheme of things, it's still a fairly small dip in comparison to recent results. My BR is still far bigger than it ever has been (and C4P to come) and hopefully I've got that nasty session out the way. Bankroll:   £ 6 32.87 (£24.02 C4P to come) Points:      685 (£5.48)
    Posted by Lambert180
    hey fella, 

Keep your chin up... wish i noticed current update yesterday... would've chimed in with poker is always easy when you winning but its when you start loosing that it gets wildy tough.  And when your on some rungood just play as much as you can to exploit the variance for the maximum £££s and dont be scared of monsters under the bed in terms of its all going to downswong. 

I've had periods like that in the past...  and for me personally its when i get cocky that my graphs start crash and i either don't concentrate ie autopilot really badly, fps ridic amounts more then usual or tilt off a months worth of hardwork trying to put in a breakeven session where i've lost 4 flips in the first 3 hands. 

So if i did notice this before hand I would've chimed in with.. exploit it the the upswinging to the max but when it stops becoming the norm, realise that you were on a heater, rinsed it for as much as possible, and now its backto BAU and don't let the results cause you to lose more then you would prior to upswong. because of the change of mindset that winning gives you when can't do anything wrong. 

Hope that helps, sorry its a bit late!!!  By way you should def be playing 20nl with this bankroll if you do mix in some cash...anything lower than that and your burning money via rake... even if its just 1 table TV table on a thur/fri/sat.... but thats easy for me to say

• edited January 2013
    sick - ul - gl
  • edited January 2013
    hey lambert encountered you tonight dont normally play hypers been grinding turbos for while, should of beat me in one game i sucked out on the turn, just how it goes in some spells as ive started to realise in turbos, had a similar night on them about a month ago think i ended down 150 which was my first proper bad session at HU made sure in the next session i made notes on every game and important hands just to ensure i didnt have a dip in confidence and change my usual style of play. Anyway i keep an eye on this and enjoy reading your views and your updates keep up the good work, was interested to see your roi for hypers since october, i would be interested in finding out mine for turbos since october as i have started to grind them alot more and done quite well, what would you say is a large enough sample of games to know whether you are actually a consistent winner?
  • edited January 2013
    Cheers chaps.

As I said, it was always gonna happen cos Hypers are super swingy and it's just helped massively that this happened after ages of winning rather than happening right at the start of playing them.

Yeah I remember playing you Benc towards the end of my session, was definitely tilted by that point and made some shocking calls against you lol.

It's hard to say about sample size, and I'd say the more swingy they are, the bigger sample you need. It's easier to tell if you're a winning player at Turbos for instance than at Hypers over the shor-term imo. Just take last night, I know that I outplay 90% of opponents at my level but 62 games says otherwise! Get 1000 games done (very do-able in 1 month) and you should have a good idea.

Cheers for the advice TPTP, albeit a tad late lol, but yeah I've had similar conversations with Dohhh before. I think sometimes people don't realise what forms rungood can take... it isn't always getting it in bad and binking, sometimes it's constantly coolering people, sometimes it's being lucky enough to have someone jam bottom pr when you're sat there with TP or whatever... sometimes even it takes the form of you 2tabling hypers and both opponents disconnecting for 2 free wins (happened the night before last lol).

P.S. I'll definitely be playing 20NL when I go back to cash.
  • edited January 2013
    Very small 'session' if you can even call it that cos I was too caught up in a debate and knew I wouldn't be playing my A game while chatting elsewhere and more than ever I don't wanna be playing lazy after last night.

Small profit of £3.50 anyway

Bankroll:   £636.37 (£24.02 C4P to come)
  • edited January 2013
    Never played hypers on a reg basis and don't intend to tbh.

You say a session like the one you had other night is pretty standard. How many bi's do you give yourself when playing these? You sticking with em or moving back to cash asap? Finally, why don't you play many MTT's?

Soz for all the questions but I read this a lot and I'm just curious :)
  • edited January 2013
    Nah I love questions Waller and no-one ever asks me them :(

1. Yeah it was -14 BIs which is horrible but if you play something as small as even 50 sessions, it probably is gonna happen, but likewise you will have winning sessions of that size too (if you're good).

2. I like to have a bare minimum of 50BIs for these. To be honest 50 BIs might not even be enough but it's what I've always used and I'll always happily step down a level if the bad times go on longer than expected and I drop much below like 35-40 BIs.

3. I aint gonna be going back to cash asap, I will be playing more again though, probably try out some 20NL but will be keeping going with the Hypers, still playing £10s. Won't stop playing £10s until I go below £500 which touch wood will never happen.

4. I think I'm pretty decent at MTTs, not great but probably good enough to do ok on Sky. They're also one of the games I enjoy the most, there's nothing like FTing an MTT. My issue is the variance involved in them, I know that Hypers are super high variance but the results are so much quicker, it's the sitting there doing well for 2 hours and getting nothing that I can't stand. I should play some MTTs along side my other games but I could never be someone who plays just MTTs, I'd find it soul destroying.
  • edited January 2013
    Phew, that's just what I needed, a good night on the Hypers to get back some confidence after the other night. It didn't start so well, few times I got it in good with things like 2pr, TP and they rivered str8s/flushes etc, thought I was off to another bad 'un but I hung in there and managed to turn it around.

Finished with a profit of £65 and a mental plus of being back over £700 again (and still yet to receive C4P). Told ya Waller, swings and swongs ;)

Bankroll:   £701.37 (£24.02 C4P to come)
  • edited January 2013
    N1 m8 and thanks for your reply.

I only play mtts now. Cash was soul destroying for me, I'm a terrible HU player and I find mtts the most enjoyable......each to their own and all that.

I would like to have another go at cash in the future though as it is where the money's at (if you're good enough and I obv wasn't)

Good to see you back on winning ways :)
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah I can understand that Waller, cash can be pretty soul destroying when it feels like you're just handing money over hand over fist.

Anywayz, another small winning session tonight, made a profit of £15, not bad considering I only played 10 games.

Bankroll:   £716.37 (£24.02 C4P to come)
  • edited January 2013
    Hmm... where do I start lol. Aint posted for a week cos it's been a rubbish week and I just really didn't wanna have to post it but can't put it off forever.

It's stupid really, all started from Monday just gone... played the DTD, as you all know I NEVER go really deep in MTTs lol. Got down to like the final 40ish of two of them, was doing really well then a couple of horrible spots put me out something like 39th and 44th. Even though they're tiny stakes and even the money up top isn't that big a deal, it was the principle of me never running good at the sharp end of tournies that put me on tilt lol.

Been spewing pretty much since then. Booted up a load of Hypers after the DTD, actually played really well in them, got it in good SO many times it's unbelievable, but I've had a good run on them and the time had to come for me to lose all my 70/30s etc and it did.

Trying to think what I've done since then. Played a £5 HU BH Shuffle, busted V first oppo, played another one and came 2nd for just over £30, big sigh though cos HU FTW I had a 2:1 CL and got it in K7 v J9, a hold there nearly doubles what I cashed for but oh well.

Played a lot of Hypers and run pretty bad, more tilt got me playing £21s lol which actually didn't go as bad as it could have, think I'm probably break even, or maybe a bit up from £21s, although SS could well prove me wrong. I did beat Nutter though :p lol.

Played a few satellites but won no seats. Played a few £5 MTTs but no binks. Was doing great in the £2.20 Speed Rebuy £250 GTD last night, think I was 5/20, dunno how many started but it was 11 paid so I'm guessing like 100ish, great position, lost a few races against shorties and ended up out within minutes.

Oh yeah I played some 20NL too, doubled up really early, flopped set v OP, loving it, donked some back, ended up about break even, maybe £1 up something

Either way, I've just been entering games with wreckless abandon not even paying attention to what I'm playing, had no patience at all when playing, trynig to win tournies in the first level etc, donked off a big chunk of my BR... BUT on reflection, even after this terrible week, my BR still a lot higher than it ever had been prior to like November last year.

Result = got quite a few points, lost a lot of money, didn't really enjoy playing for a week.

Back hopefully refreshed now, decided I'm gonna try to play more MTTs and satellite into bigger MTTs more often. I see some truly terrible players getting big binks in the big Sky MTTs, players I know I'm miles better than so can't be all that hard eh ;)

Still gonna be playing cash with a few Hypers. Satellited into the Primo Semi @ 6pm tonight for £2.60 (or whatever that cheap sat costs), going for a big bink tonight imo :p

Bankroll:   £528.74
  • edited January 2013
    Just seen that you are buying into the primo tonight (hope you make the money back in the semi).

What was the reason behind this? You are normally very good with your BRM.
  • edited January 2013
    hi Lambert

loving the diary

not totally stupid to make money from what you are good at (for you - hypers) and invest it in what you enjoy - mtts?

if you just want to play sats - or happy to enter direct is up to you - enjoy - and glgl
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Waller,

It's a combination of things really...

Decided to live a little. All the money in my account (minus £20) isn't money from my bank account, it's money I've won, and being a massive BR nit gets a bit boring lol. Granted if I was playing for a living, I would be a BR nit, but I'm not I'm playing for fun.

Unless I have some horrendous bad run, I don't think I'm ever gonna go broke on Sky cos I can always go lower to levels where I know I can win.

And as I said in this diary not too long ago, I treat the money on here completetly different than I do in the real world. Like £55 for a Primo in poker world seems enormous, but I'm quite financially comfortable (not rich by any means lol) so if I was playing a £55 tourney live I literally wouldn't even give it a second thought.
  • edited January 2013
    Cheers Geldy, definitely gonna be investing more in MTTs, I want that big bink that I've never experienced. It's quite funny that my biggest ever MTT bink was when I just started playing online and didn't have a clue about the game.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £528.74:
    Cheers Geldy, definitely gonna be investing more in MTTs, I want that big bink that I've never experienced. It's quite funny that my biggest ever MTT bink was when I just started playing online and didn't have a clue about the game.
    Posted by Lambert180
    chin up buddy you will get back on winning terms soon you defo have a good game to beat the games you play.

I also agree with you they are a lot of players that get big results on sky that I don`t really rate but thats the joy of mtts you don`t need to be best to win but if its cash in long run the best player will win thats how I prefer cash imo.

but yeah I had early sucess on sky with a few big scores a couple of years ago when if i`m being honest I was totally rubbish not saying i`m good now but I have improved a great deal over last 2 years and just can`t catch a break in a big mtt now maybe I used all my run good lol.

but yeah good luck in the primo tonight m8.
  • edited January 2013
    I bought in direct, but then I played some 20NL mastercash while I was waiting for it to start and stacked someone for the full 200xBB, so finished about £44 up so that's practically the Primo paid for :)
  • edited January 2013
    not daring to play 10nl w/ 400bb to buying direct into the primo lol. what a turn around!
  • edited January 2013
    ) I thought it read 200NL for a minute - good luck - hope u bink
  • edited January 2013
    Grrrr is all I can say (not angry at you Waller, just at variance lol).

I went quite far in the main, but got crushed when I 3bet jammed AJ into KQ and he got there, left me with a bowl which I grinded until I eventually jammed A5 into AJ, flopped the 5, turned the J, annoying but can't complain about that one.

Going really good in the mini though, lost a massive flip AK v TT for a massive stack, grinded it back up blind stealing, got down to the final 12, jam AQ into A6 and Mr Waller rivers his 6 lol. Left me with 2xBB which I shortly shared out to the table. Win that and I'm guaranteed a FT so like £100 minimum, £500+ FTW... instead I got £22. One day I'll not run bad in the final stages of an MTT.

You better go and win it now Waller!

But hey, who'd have thought it, I bought in direct to the Primo and thanks to my time on Mastercash and cashing in the mini I actually made a profit on the day, albeit a profit of about £3 lol.

Bankroll:   £531.40
  • edited January 2013
    Apologies there m8....was short myself and figured (more like hoped) you were shoving any 2. Not the best call I've ever made!!
    I didn't win anyway (rightly so)...finished 6th

Wp anyway, you should play mtt's on a more reg basis...very tough player
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £531.40:
    Apologies there m8....was short myself and figured (more like hoped) you were shoving any 2. Not the best call I've ever made!! I didn't win anyway (rightly so)...finished 6th Wp anyway, you should play mtt's on a more reg basis...very tough player
    Posted by waller02
    Nah your call was fine, 4 handed and I've got 10xBB, any A is miles ahead of what I'll jam that button with. You got unlucky to walk into the very top end of my range, you could just have easily have called and been up against 89o.

Yeah I did rip up the table for a bit while we were short handed, cos everyone was just too tight.

Well I'm playing the DTD tonight so maybe I'll get the FT I've been waiting for.