You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

31 days- diary of the grind

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Told you there was only ever gonna be one winner of this comp. As long as you can avoid goig busto TinTin, it's plain sailing. By my workings, you're gonna get at least £1000+ in C4P & promo winnings, so you just gotta keep your BR alive enough to play the month out. You're definitely good enough, just hope you're runbad stops soon

Good luck mate! 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: 31 days- diary of the grind:
    In Response to Re: 31 days- diary of the grind : ive only been playing 12 tables for a few weeks, and there is times i do struggle a little timing out still. mainly to due to grabbing a drink or a smoke or going to the lobby. im not 100% yet but will get there. any more just scares me atm and ive no idea how others do more with ease, guess its just practice practice practice
    Posted by TINTIN
    12! I can only manage 4 and even then sometine I struggle.
    had one last night -JJ v A7 . they had raised 3bb and I just flatted. concentrating on another table. flop 77x and i kept calling. bad play by me. my oppo slated me as one of the worst hands played he'd seen. I thought he was wrong until i had time to check back and found he was right. some days i just miss things with 4 so how you do 12 (and others 24) i don't know. that hand was essentially my loss fort eh session as well so doubly annoying!
    how many times can i keep saying "tomorrow's another day" before i start annoying myself :))))

chin up m8 I'm sure you (and hopefully me) will be in profit by the end of the month
  • edited October 2012
    i feel like im going over the same ground time n time again. i evn played thru out this morning with less tables on the go to see if it would change things. safe to say that didnt help.

find myself in the hole again, this time by about 4 buyins. main issue seems to be when i have kings or a flopped set. im seem to be running into bigger set, flopped straight/flush or the opponent is making a flush, straight or bigger house by the river. it really doesnt matter how i play them

ive also had the same situation arise on at least 5 occasions the last few days. i have pocket kings where i raise n get a call by villains playing around 50bb. flop comes 10 high. i bet get raised then set them in. they have 10 6 off for top pair no kicker no flush draw only to see the 6 hit the turn. motto of the story it looks like ten6 is the nuts. so frustrating.

if i play on today i will be dropping number of tables im involved in. ive barely had a winning session since friday and those that have resulted in a win has been max 2 BI where the losing session are 3x the winning ones.

i wont be stretching my lead in the promo by much today if at all, could even be 2nd by end of today.

c4p: 4187
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: 31 days- diary of the grind :   Keep it going MR Tin.  Numero uno now, you can stay there all month.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    cheers mate
  • edited October 2012
    Told you there was only ever gonna be one winner of this comp. As long as you can avoid goig busto TinTin, it's plain sailing. By my workings, you're gonna get at least £1000+ in C4P & promo winnings, so you just gotta keep your BR alive enough to play the month out. You're definitely good enough, just hope you're runbad stops soon Good luck mate! 
    Posted by Lambert180
    i'd take a break even month right now as long as it ment i could play the full month. ive a contingency fund which i think im gonna have to access that will keep me going for a little while but if the run bad continues im not sure if its all gonna be worht it.

we need to see how the nxt few days goes, but 20k points is a possibilty plus any promo winnings
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: 31 days- diary of the grind : 12! I can only manage 4 and even then sometine I struggle. had one last night -JJ v A7 . they had raised 3bb and I just flatted. concentrating on another table. flop 77x and i kept calling. bad play by me. my oppo slated me as one of the worst hands played he'd seen. I thought he was wrong until i had time to check back and found he was right. some days i just miss things with 4 so how you do 12 (and others 24) i don't know. that hand was essentially my loss fort eh session as well so doubly annoying! how many times can i keep saying "tomorrow's another day" before i start annoying myself :)))) chin up m8 I'm sure you (and hopefully me) will be in profit by the end of the month
    Posted by walesboy
    i seen the hand in question in the clinic and the replies. think rancid's reply is pretty spot on. we know when we play something badly without the opponent in the hand telling you as well.

as for the tables, i remember when i started playing 3 and found it a little chaotic, it just comes with practice. im not quite there yet on the 12 as there is still a couple of things i miss but the more practice the better i will get playing as many.

"tomorrows another day" ive been saying that a lot as well.

heres to running good
  • edited October 2012
    your just sad tintin your best friend must be the ace of spades lol only jokeing GOOD LUCK with your grind u deserve to win it with the amount of hours your puttting in
  • edited October 2012

downswings-r-us   chin up m8 you know you,ll come thru it,battle on think of the prize,gl

• edited October 2012
    @ scrumdown @ stokefc cheers guys
  • edited October 2012

a break even session, they are rare these days. nothing major to report playing wise.

dont know if i will play anymore this evening, will see nearer 10.

i noticed there was extra happy hours this evening but at closer look their are exclusive to the top tier of each level so nl20 has 2 extra hours of 50% extra points. i dont agree with it, i feel these should be on all levels if introduced even if its a 1 off, i think they send out a bad message to a lot of players who were trying to increase their volume tryting to get top 20 who were not nessicerely playing at the top points achieving tier. wheres their motivation to carry on with the extra volume now?

it wont effect me too much, might mean i surrender top spot tomorrow but i know i can over come that.

thats me for now, lets see how i feel in an hours time

c4p: 4332

• edited October 2012
    apologies for earlier rant,

got another couiples of hours in but finished before happy hour finished, clawed back a little from what i was down earlier in the day. i have to send apologies out to shanks474. i got aces v kings and held for a £26 pot. the reason im sorry is because it looked liked i hit n run. i can say that it wasnt the case as i had pressed stand on all 9 tables before i was dealt those aces. i hate when someone does it to me.

was down a lot on volume today but still banked around 500 points. this was mainly due to playing fewer tables. will see how i feel tomorrow as to how many i play.

c4p: 4503
  • edited October 2012
    another bad session, getting fed up with them. its a slow trickle in the wrong direction.

cant seem to win with any premium holding. played 3 hours today n flopped 2 sets in that time, missed almost every board, when i did hit i ran into bigger. things have got to change, right?

cant make the early evening happy hour, got my kids parents night at school. dont they know i should be playing poker lol. break might do me good if im honest.

still number 1 but my volume is down atm, earned another 200+ points today, should go past 5k before the night is out.

c4p:4734
  • edited October 2012
    dunno about running bad your qq held vs ma ak aipf lol.

im the same m8 last 3 days ive no been losing a lot but its like 1.5/2 bi`s down a day and a feel im playin well just cards are not fallin 2 nice but will turn soon and hopefully 4 you too.

gl at tables when you are back on unless your at my table lol.
  • edited October 2012
    dunno about running bad your qq held vs ma ak aipf lol. im the same m8 last 3 days ive no been losing a lot but its like 1.5/2 bi`s down a day and a feel im playin well just cards are not fallin 2 nice but will turn soon and hopefully 4 you too. gl at tables when you are back on unless your at my table lol.
    Posted by liamboi11
    that hand was the first i had won in almost 2 hours that was over £1 and the set i hit on the same table minutes later was the first i hit all session anywhere.

i hope they change quickly for both of us, ive been running horrid since fridy night, most of its been 1/2 buyins down here n there n the odd 4/5 thrown in for bad measure. my biggest winnig session in the time has been +2.
    if you playing some more nl10 then theres no doubt we will cross paths again, gl mate
  • edited October 2012
    think im about to go on permanant life tilt. this downswing is showing no signs of stopping. back to running kings into aces on a regular basis again. even when i have aces v kings im losing. in fact im winning 1 hand in 10 when i have pocket kings. if an ace isnt hitting the flop then they are turning 2 pair or trips on me. im at the stage i dont want to see them as i know its ending in disaster.

i really want to post good stuff and stop this turning into a bad beat thread but i just cant atm
  • edited October 2012

time to decide wether it worth carrying on with this. ive had enough. confidence is shot to siht. lost a lot today, could count all meaningful pots won on 1 hand today.

i did say at start of the thread i would know myself when to call it quits, well its fast approaching. having an early night and to decide on what route to take  for the rest of the month. i reckon i have enough points already for a top 20 spot without playing another hand for the rest of the month. my heads wasted at the minute so good night. i havent busted yet but this carries on then its not far away.

c4p:5007

• edited October 2012
    gl TINTIN whatever you decide
    maybe take a couple of days off (with no cheating) and see if the hunger comes back
    once the memory of the bad beats has faded you'll be on perfect form to reclaim the #1 position from "2 monitors" Rancid
  • edited October 2012
    Do whatever you're comfortable with TINTIN, making you play when you don't really want to is the whole point of this 'generous' promotion... ;)

GL.
  • edited October 2012
    take a couple of days of m8 when head like that your on tilt before u play your 1st hand good luck what ever route u take and chin  up just going thourgh a bad dowmswing
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tin Tin.

I don't know whether you want advice from me but as a fellow grinder I'll try and help.

1.  You have to take time off mate.  Even if it's just a day.  But set yourself a length of time and stick to it.  Promise to take the kids/wife out and make sure you go through with it.  As well as the time out and getting the hunger back it will but into perspective that poker isn't everything.

2.  Get a couple of photo's of friends, family, pets (maybe of the past) and frame them and place them where you can see them.  Whenever beats are killing you just take a quick look at your photo's.  I have one of my dog who died 3 years ago and remember the good times we had and thinking about it I'd give my roll in an instant to have him back.  The picture still makes me smile.

3.  I have a framed £20 note next to my pc.  This is mainly to help prevent tilting and remind myself that it's actual money I'm playing for and not just numbers on a screen.  Probably sounds stupid to everyone but I feel it helps me.

4.  Again maybe sounds stupid to others, but I have had a canvas made up with a few inspritaional quotes..........The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke.

That's just one of many quotes on my piece but i'm all for the positive energ.

5.  In your spare time watch some inspirational stuff.  Movies, documentary's etc etc   'Braveheart' 'Rocky' etc etc.  I like watching 'how the other half live' on c4od.  Puts things into perspective.

6  Before you start playing go for a walk.  At least 30 mins and maybe get some food/coffee.  Try and make this part of your routine.  Its to easy just to stop doing it.

7.  Plan your day.  E.g Sessions times 1pm-4pm, break and food.  5pm - 8pm. Food/kids/wife.  9 - middnight.  Play around with it and find out what suits you best.

8.  If you play well, treat yourself.  Doesn't have to be anything expensive.  Hair cut, round of golf, footy match etc.  But you worked hard so why not!

I could go on and on mate and not sure if this stuff will really help you or anyone else.  These are just little things I do to keep me sane.

Poker can be cruel, very cruel but life is to short!

Hope your luck changes very soon!

• edited October 2012
    Sorry about spelling and punctuation.  8am and just finished my nightly grind.
  • edited October 2012
    thank you all who have took time to respond. a very detaield respons from donttelmum of which i can relate to a lot and is very similar to a lot of practices i already do.

im not playing any more hours than i normally do, i have only added a cuple of extra tables during the times i am playing, this could well be the problem.

im going to cut back a little today, not as many tables, maybe drop an other couple of hours out and see how it goes. ive had a good sleep and my head feels clear. the hunger hasnt left me yet
  • edited October 2012

Thats the spirit m8.  Another option whilst you what for the run bad to switch is reducing your buy in. This will reduce your losses until things turnaround but will have no effect on your C4P. By reduce buy in i dont mean drop down a level but sit with less than full buy in.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tin Tin. I don't know whether you want advice from me but as a fellow grinder I'll try and help. 1.  You have to take time off mate.  Even if it's just a day.  But set yourself a length of time and stick to it.  Promise to take the kids/wife out and make sure you go through with it.  As well as the time out and getting the hunger back it will but into perspective that poker isn't everything. 2.  Get a couple of photo's of friends, family, pets (maybe of the past) and frame them and place them where you can see them.  Whenever beats are killing you just take a quick look at your photo's.  I have one of my dog who died 3 years ago and remember the good times we had and thinking about it I'd give my roll in an instant to have him back.  The picture still makes me smile. 3.  I have a framed £20 note next to my pc.  This is mainly to help prevent tilting and remind myself that it's actual money I'm playing for and not just numbers on a screen.  Probably sounds stupid to everyone but I feel it helps me. 4.  Again maybe sounds stupid to others, but I have had a canvas made up with a few inspritaional quotes.......... The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke. That's just one of many quotes on my piece but i'm all for the positive energ. 5.  In your spare time watch some inspirational stuff.  Movies, documentary's etc etc   'Braveheart' 'Rocky' etc etc.  I like watching 'how the other half live' on c4od.  Puts things into perspective. 6  Before you start playing go for a walk.  At least 30 mins and maybe get some food/coffee.  Try and make this part of your routine.  Its to easy just to stop doing it. 7.  Plan your day.  E.g Sessions times 1pm-4pm, break and food.  5pm - 8pm. Food/kids/wife.  9 - middnight.  Play around with it and find out what suits you best. 8.  If you play well, treat yourself.  Doesn't have to be anything expensive.  Hair cut, round of golf, footy match etc.  But you worked hard so why not! I could go on and on mate and not sure if this stuff will really help you or anyone else.  These are just little things I do to keep me sane. Poker can be cruel, very cruel but life is to short! Hope your luck changes very soon!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Hey Donttelmum, nice post. Do you mind saying where you had this made or have you got a pic or anything? I have thought about having one of these done myself, in fact I have a selection of my fave quotes saved on my PC ready.
  • edited October 2012
    dropped back down to 9 tables for most of this morning, played a lot better but results never changed, back to a trickle of losses instead of bleeding heavily like yeaterday. still having the same issue with kings, got out of a few spots with them but its still the same old story. i never tilted this morning which is a good sign i suppose even when those spots arose.

c4p: 5253
  • edited October 2012
    I think your game is a little too tight, although haven't really played that many hands with you.

Now I'm a bit of a nitty player myself and my results tend to improve dramatically when I start to 3bet more and open my range up.

• edited October 2012
    hi tintin,
    it's tricky getting the correct no of tables to play,isn't it
    if i'm runnin bad i cut back as u have and get my confidence back & kick on again.
    it's all sent 2 test u m8.
    keep on grinding and think of how things will be at the end of the month,when it's all over.
    gl
    dev
  • edited October 2012

I think you need to look through all your hand history where you have lost />£6 and see how you have played - be honest with yourself
    Most of them may be coolers or suck outs but maybe your just not making the right choices
    I played a couple of hands with you where i thoght you wasn't on your A game tbh
    take it easy, cutting back the tables back might be a good idea because you have only recently jumped to 12 tables
    I even find the more tables you play, the less effective your decision making becomes -

Best advice so far is take a break during the day, go out do stuff & come back refreshed - don't just sit downstairs with a cup of tea and watch TV )

good luck

• edited October 2012
    thinking the same as n. colly tintin u need to open up your range at times
  • edited October 2012
    play less tables m8 when u play loads of tables your not thinking about the hand and situation and u start going on auto pilot just clicking buttons when i play u i do find ya a bit tight if u bet i snap fold unless i have a peice of it 

with this new promo it does make u play altho u dnt feel upto playing because u need teh c4p i would just play 6 tables m8 im sure u will do great and + 1 to n colley mix it up a bit