You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Well done and very very unlucky not to get the double Jerome! You 2 are smashing it, I need to pull my finger out!
  • edited June 2015
    Some great tipping guys.

Been following you for a while and invariably there or there about. This weekend was right on the money.
  • edited June 2015
    Very well done Mr Dart. Though gutted for u too as I know how much the double meant, both financially, and just as importantly to us 'experts', for bragging rights purposes. Still can't believe the Swede managed to follow Rose in on the 1st play off hole, sigh......

Must be something about this week, as The Flashman got the double up on it 2 years ago. This time next year boys!!!!!

As for this coming week, I'll be having only a token interest in the US, as its pre US Open week, and u never quiet know what to expect. That said, the week before the British Open, I'll be having my biggest bet since the Masters in the John Deere Classic. In Europe, I'm hoping to see 6/1 about Weisberger, and I'll just lump on ew, and basically that will be 80% of my total stake for this week. I'll see what the bookies offer.
  • edited June 2015
    Cheers guys.

My best week 'so far' this year, though with me committing to the Noren / Rose double it came agonizingly close to being my best week ever.

The week before a major are usually difficult events and this week looks tricky on both sides of The Atlantic.

Poor value at the top of the market and  host of nearly men and bottlers in the rag markets.

I love a challenge :)

Good Luck All
  • edited June 2015
    Lyoness Open

Burnt Cheeseburger - 5/1 (Win only) - I think his odds are very harsh this week and it's probably a mistake backing him so short, but to be honest I've not looked into it hard enough to pick out longer ew bets. This course looks like it needs GIR and putts with GIR. I put these into the golf betting system predictor along with past tournament history and he came out with more than double 2nd place.

Lee Slattery - 55/1 - Slipped away a bit the last 12 months or so. I remember we used to back him fairly regularly. Has good form here and 7th last week.

St Jude CLassic

3 names popped out for me this week. Dustin Johnson (Let me down the other week). Billy Horschel (Can't back him at 16/1) and Phil Mickelson (He's my bet for the US Open so I don't want him winning this week!)

Matt Every - 90/1 - 3rd here last year. Coming here off of a missed cut, but last year he came here after 3 MC and a WD so he is very much an all or nothing player. Already won the Arnold Palmer invitational this year which he also won last year, so hoping he has a parallel season to last year.

Will Wilcox - 100/1 - Splitting his season over both the PGA and Webb.com tour. Only getting a chance to play the smaller PGA Tour events so will be keen to get some decent $ under his belt. His last outing was 2 weeks ago at the Byron Nelson where he shot 3x 67's and a 68, good enough for T22 so a solid result. Played here last year for the first time and finished T19. He came into the event with no form and played far worse in the AT&T then than he did this year.

My turn for the double...?
  • edited June 2015
    I know DJ isn't one of my single bets, but lets put our hands together and pray for Flashy!

• edited June 2015
    Last week my gut feeling was leishman, who would have turned a small profit 1/3 of a place at 80/1. Obviously I backed Finau again, and he left me just short.

This week it's Luke Guthrie at 150/1

Horsey in Europe @ 50/1
  • edited June 2015
    Lyoness Open

Bernd Weisberger has the lot this week, course form, current form, local favorite and obvious class against the field, 5/1 or 11/2 doesn't actually feel that bad, once I've worked out my final outlay I might come back and have a saver on Bernd, but for now my focus has been elsewhere.

Julien Quesne - 33/1, four top 10's in his last 8 starts since the beginning of March, including a tied 8th at Wentworth against a high quality field. Before that his last top 10 was in April 2014, so signs are Julien Qusne is in a good run of form at the moment.

Should feel like a big fish in this small pond this week, looks decent value at 33/1 the win and 8.25/1 the place.

Scott Jamieson - 50/1, having a steady if unspectacular season, he is capable of better and given he finished tied 8th in his one appearance here, maybe this will be the week Jamieson gets in amongst them at the top of the leaderboard.

Lee Slattery - 50/1, Same reasons as Flash has picked up on, he has top 10's here in the past he was a fast finishing 7th last week, with limited starts he seems to be playing well when he gets the chance.

Andrew McArthur - 100/1, plays mostly on the Challenge Tour and is currently ranked 6th for the season, thanks mainly to a second and third place finish in May. Looks a decent price in this field given his recent form.

Oliver Fisher - 150/1, tied 50th last week after a run of 5 missed cuts. I'm speculating the tied 50th was a sign that things might be clicking back in place. History shows with Oliver Fisher that he can quickly go from forlorn no hoper to suddenly competing at the top.
  • edited June 2015
    Fed Ex St Judes

First up I've got a confession to make.

I had a long day at work Monday and was half asleep by the time I logged on Monday night.

I posted a couple of weeks ago I'd been waiting for the right tournament for Chesson Hadley and despite him having no course form I plumped for him a couple of weeks ago in a similar weak field.

When I saw that Hadley was 13th here last year and that was in the middle of a poor run, I rushed to get the 100/1 that was available.

I clicked on the bet confirm and my receipt said....Chesson Hadley ew 100/1, First Round Leader :(

So I then had to go back and stake the same amount again this time on the outright market.

I then decided to call it a night!

So picks for the St Jude Classic:

Chesson Hadley - 100/1, outright AND first round leader

Luke Donald - 40/1, there's a lot of evidence pointing to Luke Donald getting back to something like the former world number one he once was. He played in and got through a US Open qualifier yesterday.

Going with the hunch that the more competitive rounds he plays the more settled he is going to be, I think 40/1 is good.

Patrick Rodgers - 66/1, he's had a bit of an erratic month, playing some unbelievable golf at times. Now he's secured his card he should be able to settle down and concentrate on winning tournaments, which is surely something he will do sooner rather than later.

I like the fact the he pulled out of the US Open qualifying on Monday as I think that would have been one distraction too many.

Sam Saunders - 500/1, OK he's no Arnold Palmer, but on more than one occasion he has shown signs that he could win at least one PGA Tour event to add to his Grandad's collection.

Lost in a playoff earlier this year and yesterday joint top scored with two 66's in the strongest of the US Open Qualifier fields.

Got to be worth a dabble at 500/1.
  • edited June 2015
    In Europe Weisberger win only 5/1 and Fitzpatrick ew 66/1. In the USA English ew 25/1. Next time I check in I'll be be in sunny Marbella 

Edit:-  Done an ew double on Weisberger and English
  • edited June 2015
    Just a little tip for you all. I've already mentioned this to Neil, but may as well let you all in on the secret ....

Chambers Bay for the US Open as we know is a new course, so very little course knowledge by the majority of the field. Except Michael Putnam. He lives 1 mile from the course and got through his qualifier T1 with a 66. He was apparently the first ever person to play the course and shot 70. He must of played it dozens of times since then in all sorts of conditions. He was going off best price 300/1, but now our Irish friend Patrick Power has just popped up with 500/1! Could be a great top20 bet when the markets open.

To add to that, his brother is caddying for him and has reportedly had over 500 trips around the course!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (The Memorial + Nordea Masters):
    Just a little tip for you all. I've already mentioned this to Neil, but may as well let you all in on the secret .... Chambers Bay for the US Open as we know is a new course, so very little course knowledge by the majority of the field. Except Michael Putnam. He lives 1 mile from the course and got through his qualifier T1 with a 66. He was apparently the first ever person to play the course and shot 70. He must of played it dozens of times since then in all sorts of conditions. He was going off best price 300/1, but now our Irish friend Patrick Power has just popped up with 500/1! Could be a great top20 bet when the markets open. To add to that, his brother is caddying for him and has reportedly had over 500 trips around the course!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Good shout or whisper there Flash.

I'm on.

• edited June 2015
    weisberger off to a good start wondered why sky were offering 18/1 lols
  • edited June 2015
    Good work with Fitzgerald! #standard

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Lyonness Open + St Jude):
    Good work with Fitzgerald! #standard
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Yep thanks Charles. Don't know why Ive been calling him Fitzpatrick on and off all week. 

Edit:- so confused, he is called Fitzpatrick 
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks to Fitzpatrick, a bit of confidence has returned, it was waivering a bit. 

Right to this week. I'll obv start with my Lucky 15 bet. I'm still happy to have Jimmy Walker on board @ 50/1 ew. So I've £160 on him to win @ that price, and £50 to place @ 12.5/1 from Spieth winning @ 16/1.

I'll top my Walker bet up ew @ the best price available tomorrow, once the bookies start pushing players out to get our business. Last week I took the 40/1 about Furyk ew 1st 6 with The Power. I notice Skybet have pushed him out to that price today, and I think I'll go in ew again. I just feel he might shorten up before tee off time, and that this quirky set up might just suit his game. My other main fancy at this moment is Matsuyama, but again, I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings price wise before stepping in. 

No doubt I'll add some special market jobbies before it kicks off.

Gl everyone. 
  • edited June 2015
    I've already placed my bets last week. Good job really, because a mixture of sucky poker and sucky golfers means all of my betting accounts are getting smaller and smaller (Majority of them now at 0!)

Phil Mickelson - 25/1 - £50 e/w - I normally bet between £2.50 - £10 e/w  depending on price/confidence so I've stepped it up big time for this one. 6 times finished 2nd in the US Open. Only major left for him to complete the grand slam. Does well on links courses. Oh and he turns 45 tomorrow. Everything seems to be all set for him. I noticed his odds have been cut considerably. Now around 16/1

Jim Furyk - 40/1 - £7.50 e/w - So I've got one, "smash it, find it and smash it again" player, to an only ever the middle of the fairway player. Been criticised a lot the last couple of years over not getting the job finished off. What a tournament this would be to shut everyone up.

Ryan Moore - 80/1 - £4.50 e/w - Looking for people who may have decent course knowledge here and also the ability to back it up. Ryan Moore was born in this town, and although now lives in Vegas (WAL) he will of surely come back a few times since knowing the Open would be played here.

Michael Putnam - 300/1 - £2.50 e/w - As I wrote the other day. First person to ever play a competitive round here (Therefore a former course record holder haha) played dozens of rounds. His Brother works as a caddy on the course I believe so should have perfect course knowledge on every tee and pin position.

Also added Michael Putnam top 20 only. £20 @ 8/1
  • edited June 2015
    Same approach as Flash for me, I placed my bets early, which will be a real test of my resolve between now and Thursday as I try and resist adding anyone else.

Phil Mickleson - 25/1, the combined support of myself and Flash has meant Mickleson's price is now into 16/1.
    When you read that the players need to do their homework for this course, you just know there won't be many better prepared than Phil Mickleson. It would be great to see him complete the career grand slam.

Hideki Matsuyama - 40/1, I've looked for players who have a good all round game, decent recent form, shown form on links courses, high on the scrambling stats and competed well in other majors. For me Matsuyama fits the bill.

Brandt Snedeker - 66/1, when I was going through specific stats on the PGA Tour website, there were two players, who kept featuring near the top, Matsuyama and Snedeker. I also like that Snedeker has won at Pebble Beach, has a top 5 in The Open and looks to be putting very well again.

Shane Lowry - 125/1, quality links player with a top notch short game, if he's done a bit of homework and found a new putter he likes (broke his last one in the Irish Open) he could have a good week.

Mark Leishman - 125/1, tied 5th in The Open last year, also tied 4th at The Masters 2 years ago, so can handle links courses and the heat of a Major.

Danny Willett - 300/1, I've been backing Danny Willett regularly for The Open this year, thanks to the 300/1 on offer until very recently, I would be just as happy with a US Open payout as I would a top 5 in The Open.

Remains 2nd in the R2D, was 3rd in the World Matchplay, links record read 8 top tens in 11 links events played.

I'm chuffed to have got my quota on at 300/1, I still think 125/1 today looks great value.

• edited June 2015
    ok flash you've convinced me.

Michael Putnam top 20

£2 @ 10/1.

Be lucky
  • edited June 2015
    Poker and golf betting are very similar in many ways. U get your Flashy and Darty types who clearly know their stuff, plenty of research, good reasoning, very convincing too, and obv successful. There's plenty of those at the poker tables too, again they are successful. Then u get me and my types. Very little 'homework' regarding the golf, going more on intuition. At the poker table I NEVER use Hendon Mob to research my opponents. Again I use intuition, and how I feel about them on the day, and what I see when I look them in the eye. Takes all types to make the world go round. #endofphilosophylesson

Clearly bored and in bed, hoping for some sunshine tomorrow. 
  • edited June 2015
    I think that is a big reason behind your recent success on the poker tables. Far too many people nowadays have only 1 style of play. "The standard play" but if everyone is playing the same way you need to be the player that plays against that. 

It gets spoken about a lot in poker chat. "Being ahead of the curve" I don't think you need to be ahead of the curve as such, you just need to understand why somebody is making a certain move and act accordingly. This comes with experience and confidence. Both of which you now have live and online. I feel personally I have that online, but I am useless live as I don't have either confidence or enough experience.

As far as bringing this in line with golf betting. I have all the confidence in the world, until about 9 holes in on Thursday. Then I sulk.
  • edited June 2015
    I,m gonna go go for the Coral offer but in the meantime just sticking with 3 outsiders for now 

2015 US Open - Winner

Placed (matched)Order by Matched Date

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    Luke Donald130£2.92
    £376.68

Zach Johnson100£3.00
    £297.00

Brooks Koepka70£3.00
    £207.00
    added 2 more to my list of outsiders - If they,re going well i,ll lay them off

Michael Putnam450£2.00
    £898.00

Bo Van Pelt700£2.00
    £1,398.00
    And to qualify for my £10 free in play bet i,ve plumped for Stenson as i,ll think he,ll be there or therabouts

Henrik Stenson33/1Outright - 5 Places - 18/06/2015
    Stake £10.00
    Estimated Return:£340.00

EDIT : Thought i,d take the other leader after round 1 and hope one of them can strectch out  a bit of  alead

Dustin Johnson5/1US Open 2015 - 18/06/2015
    Stake £0.00 (Free Bet £10.00)
    Estimated Return:£50.00
  • edited June 2015
    Just had a look to see Tiger's odds for missing the CUT. I expected to see around 1/3 but he was 8/11! That's a steal IMO. He shot 85 the other day around a regular PGA track. This course will find every weakness in your game and Tiger has a lot of them at the moment.

Tiger Woods to miss the CUT - 8/11 - £80
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (US Open):
    Just had a look to see Tiger's odds for missing the CUT. I expected to see around 1/3 but he was 8/11! That's a steal IMO. He shot 85 the other day around a regular PGA track. This course will find every weakness in your game and Tiger has a lot of them at the moment. Tiger Woods to miss the CUT - 8/11 - £80
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Very interesting bet there Charles.

I see Tiger is Evens to make the CUT, which if you were in the Tiger camp would also look a great bet.

I can't make my mind up which way I'd go.

Everyone knows his biggest weakness is his driving, reading that the fairways are as fast if not faster than the greens, maybe he can get away with a 3 wood and a few irons with infamous low stingers off the tee. 

If I was pushed I think I'd probably go for Tiger making the cut, but I could also see him easily being amongst the stragglers after 9 holes.

Best of Luck with this one Flash.
  • edited June 2015
    Well after posting about this on a facebook page, a lot of people said they think Tiger will do well and contend. They keep saying wide fairways will be good for him and his imagination will get him out of trouble.

The way I saw it, the only event he has done well on this year is the Masters which is very much horses for courses and we all know he's not done too bad around there before. He seems to only play alright when he has heaps of course knowledge. Obviously there is very little/none here pre-tournament so it's a lot more of a level playing field. 

Those greens look lightening fast and rock hard, both of which will severely test the players scrambling and Tigers short game was an absolute mess earlier in the season...

I saw something written by Rory saying he has been coming in to certain greens with a 6-7 iron and can't keep it on the green. He said majority of other players will be having to hit 4-5 iron and he can't see how they can possibly get close on some greens. If Tiger is using an iron to hit fairways, is it really that beneficial if he's hitting a 4 iron into greens like that?

All will become clear soon, really looking forward to it. I'm out tonight so will miss nearly all of the coverage, but I'll be watching the scores.
  • edited June 2015
    Yes fascinating build up to this event, so many unknowns, so many conflicting opinions from the players, never mind the media and pundits.

I saw that Rory said those players that carry the ball 295 yards will have a definite advantage, I read that Monty thinks short hitters like himself will be able to get it around the course just as well as the bombers.

From a few other comments it does sound like there might be 3 or 4 holes that the shorter hitters will really struggle to make par on, the 18th when it plays as a par 4 being one of those holes.

It sounds like there well be a big onus on players needing to pick the right lines from tee to green and sometimes that will depend on accuracy, sometimes length, sometimes a combination of both.

With so many unknowns, maybe the later starters will have an advantage today, as they will have the chance to gauge how the course is playing, from seeing how the morning starters perform and how tough each hole is playing.
  • edited June 2015

I managed to control myself by only adding one more player to my main portfolio:

Jason Dufner - 100/1, we all know he's dodgy on those short putts, but he's one of the best with a putter in hand at long distances.

Pretty unflappable and showed a marked improvement in form recently.

and then I went to the rag market :)

Steve Marino - 600/1 outright, 150/1 FRL
    Colin Montgomerie - 750/1 outright, 250/1 FRL
    John Parry - 1000/1, 250/1 FRL

Other FRL bets:

Brandt Snedeker - 45/1
    Mark Leishman - 80/1
    Danny Willett - 100/1

Good Luck ALL!!!

• edited June 2015
    Just had a look to see Tiger's odds for missing the CUT. I expected to see around 1/3 but he was 8/11! That's a steal IMO. He shot 85 the other day around a regular PGA track. This course will find every weakness in your game and Tiger has a lot of them at the moment. Tiger Woods to miss the CUT - 8/11 - £80
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Don,t want to curse it but V. nice bet ( 10 over after 15 ) 2nd last

Nice steady start for Putman as well at level par. Would be a gr8 result all round with so many ppl geting on board
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (US Open) : Don,t want to curse it but V. nice bet ( 10 over after 15 ) 2nd last Nice steady start for Putman as well at level par. Would be a gr8 result all round with so many ppl geting on board
    Posted by MP33
    Fingers crossed! I imagine he will have to shoot 4 or 5 under today to make the cut and I can't see that happening!

The main 3 bets I'm interested in is the Tiger m/c. Michael Putnam and my main bet Phil Mickelson. Phil has had a steady -1. Bit disapointing as he was -3 and looking to run away early doors. Long way to go yet. 
  • edited June 2015
    Yes Tiger to miss the cut is now looking a great bet Flash.

If he was somehow to make the cut I think it would be an even bigger achievement than his 14 major wins.

I know beforehand I said if pushed I would have gone for Tiger to make the cut, just glad I didn't place the bet with any bookies.