You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (The Players Championship + Mauritius Open):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (The Players Championship + Mauritius Open) : I've added this bet too  Also I put some stats into that golf betting system page that Darty showed me a while back and each time Thomas Pieters kept coming up as no.1 so at 100/1 It would be rude to ignore him. EDIT: I've said it was Darty's site, but I think it might of been Splashies actually. But as he has disowned us I'll give Jerome the credit. ;-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Yes it was that man Splashies who pointed us in the direction of the stats website, but if Pieters wins I'm sure Splashies won't mind me taking the credit.

Pieters is a player that's let me down several times this season and to be honest I'd given up on him, but seeing as you are on him along with that Joesman1 bloke who has been know to pick the odd winner, I'll join you and give Pieters one more chance.

• edited May 2015
    Open de Espana

Matteo Manessero - 70/1,
    played exceptionally well tee to green last time out, only to mess about with strange putting strokes on the greens. You would hope (well I do), that he's now sorted out whatever it is he was trying to do with his putter.

It looks to me like this course should suit Manessero, he may not be priced at 150/1 as he was last time out, but even at 70/1, I think he is exceptional value.

Francesco Molinari - 40/1, double Italian this week, again I feel the course should suit Francesco and I think 40/1 or even 33/1 is a decent bet in this field.

Thomas Aitken - 28/1, I backed him last win and his 4th place finish gave me a return. Seeing as he didn't do much wrong last week and won on this course in 2011, I cant really see how I can ignore him this week.

Thomas Pieters - 100/1, either because I've done loads of studying and I think he will won or simply because messers Overton and Strike have backed him, I'll highlight / delete the appropriate reason once I know the result ;)
  • edited May 2015
    Wells Fargo

Rory Sabbatini - 100/1, finished very strongly last week at The Players, for what was his best ever finish there. He has a 3rd here and 8th last year. The sort of player that tends to play really well for a few weeks and then plod along for months on end. Hoping that he's 'in the zone' right now.

Gary Woodland - 66/1, another player that's let me down when I've been on him this year. I wasn't going to back him again, but since the golden one is on him and I agree bombers should be contenders this week, I've gone with the flow.

Sean O'Hair - 60/1, former winner, back to playing at the classy levels his former self was accustomed to playing at.

Lucas Glover - 125/1, another course and distance winner and a player that is right up with the best for many a key stat this season. Just needs to make a few putts and he'll contend this week.
  • edited May 2015
    Oh and after finding out last week that backing winners at 'only' 10/1 isn't that bad, I've also gone for the Sergio Rory double.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (WGC Matchplay):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (WGC Matchplay) : Wooohooo! Amazing picks again Mr Golf ! As the watching american public on a par 5 tee might say "Get in the Hole!! followed by You Da man !! I am guessing Securicor and G4S will have to accompany you to the bookies again! and those other pesky bookies may say as Roberto Duran did"No Mas!" A few holes to go in America.. but still impressive picks and i've got to work at 4am so can't stay up any longer. Well Done so far.
    Posted by Any2Suited
    My bad, forgot to say thanks again Any2. Cheers
  • edited May 2015
    So after reading all of the dispatches above from "Team Sky Golf", I will be doing a small double on Sergio and Rory just in case they are to good. Adding T.Pieters 100/1 for Open De Espana to go with my picks of P.Larrazabel 28/1 and R.Cabrera Bello 40/1. Over at Wells Fargo my picks are J.B Holmes 33/1 and J.Furyk 18/1 . Also eachway doubles across the tournaments. Good Luck all.
  • edited May 2015
    Oh God. What have I started! Please Pieters don't let me down..... PLEASE!!
  • edited May 2015

That FlashFlush gets about a bit.

I was just having a quick look at the European Tour Live Blog to see if there is any interesting last minute news and find they've posted a tweet from Mr. Flash Flush himself. 

Probably best it wasn't one about backing Thomas Pieters :)

Edit: scrolled further down the blog and now I get the wit behind the tweet :)

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (The Players Championship + Mauritius Open):
    That FlashFlush gets about a bit. I was just having a quick look at the European Tour Live Blog to see if there is any interesting last minute news and find they've posted a tweet from Mr. Flash Flush himself.  Probably best it wasn't one about backing Thomas Pieters :) Edit: scrolled further down the blog and now I get the wit behind the tweet :)
    Posted by TheDart
    Quality banter
  • edited May 2015
    Leaders in both at -7 -7/-10 -7/-18
    Sergio Garcia EW @ 5/1 Outright Winner - Open de Espana Outright +4 +3 -2
    Rory McIlroy EW @ 100/30 Outright Winner - Wells Fargo Outright-2 -7 -18 (1st)

Thomas Pieters EW £6.40 @ 100/1 Outright Winner - Open de Espana Outright
    -2 +1 +5 (stats not looking so good)
    Emiliano Grillo EW £6.40 @ 22/1 Outright Winner - Open de Espana Outright -2 -4
    Rory Sabbatini EW @ 66/1 Outright Winner - Wells Fargo Outright +4 missed cut -4
    Henrik Stenson EW @ 18/1 Outright Winner - Wells Fargo Outright 0 -1 0
    Webb Simpson EW £4.80 @ 60/1 Outright Winner - Wells Fargo Outright -5 -10(leader) -14 (second)
    Gary Woodland EW @ 66/1 Outright Winner - Wells Fargo Outright-2 -3 -7
    Rory McIlroy EW £25 @ 100/30 Outright Winner - Wells Fargo Outright -2 -7 -18
    Byeong-Hun An EW £6.40 @ 50/1 Outright Winner - Open de Espana Outright 0 -2 -2
    Victor Dubuisson EW @ 30/1 Outright Winner - Open de Espana Outright +2 missed cut

Day 1 couple of promising outsiders but Sergio not doing to well

Day 2 rory coming back Mr. Simpson leader and grillo doing ok
  • edited May 2015
    To everyone who followed me in on Simpson, can I apologise for Rory's behaviour. 
  • edited May 2015
    Just come online to check the scores tonight and its like wtf was rory waiting for the odds to be better before he engaged top gear now if Garcia can find the same gear tomorrow we are in clover.
  • edited May 2015
    Very disappointed in SAbatini and STenson. Must find a better tipster
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Wells Fargo + Open de Espana):
    Very disappointed in SAbatini and STenson. Must find a better tipster
    Posted by Eyeman
    Tbh I'm very disappointed in myself for putting up Stenson. I rushed a bit last Monday, looking for a pick near the top of the market to supplement my outsiders. By Weds, as u know, I was regretting tipping him. His course form was abysmal. I was actually thinking why is he playing this week. I got my answer at the weekend, I read the following quote:-

" I'm only playing this week because the 2017 PGA is being held here, and I need to learn to play the course. Although it should suit my eye, it clearly doesn't, and I can't get the ball round the course".

I felt like emailing him after reading that and requesting my stake money back, but then I remembered Dubai last November and all was forgiven. 

Still, yep a stupid mistake putting him in. As for Sabbatini....... Hmmmmm throw enough DARTS at the board, and one will stick..... (Smiley face) 
  • edited May 2015
    So EVENTUALLY it became #anotherstandardweek.

After the disappointment of the mixed Grillo fading over the last few holes, and Sergio not serging up the leaderboard, we were looking at just one 66/1 place return, and not quiet enough to break even. Then up stepped Mr Woodland to the plate. Those of u on him with Paddy will have got the full place return. So it became 2 * 16.5/1 winners, enough to keep the run going. 

What we did see this week was that yep, Rory wasn't just the easy option, but the sensible one too. Ironically though, £500 win on him would have returned £2250 (if u got the 7/2). £250 ew on either Simpson or Woodland got u £4375.

So to this week, and the problem that is Rory Mclroy. I watched his interview after his win last night (I'd already tested her indoors patience, so watching his post round interview, trying to get an insight to next week really didn't go down well. So it's not only a new spare TV on order today, but a new spare bed lol). Anyways yes Rory, he was flying overnight to the UK, he has loads of Nike promotional work on today in London. He'll arrive at the course tomoz. He's the defending champion, so he has other duties too. He'll prob get to play the course in the pro-am weds afternoon (yes he knows the course v well already). But he's got a lot on his plate, do u really want to take a short price about him?

Also, until last year he had terrible course form, and I think last years win was partly down to the fact that on the eve of the gig he told the world he'd called off his engagement etc, and he went into a bubble for the week, just concentrated 100% on golf and was able to get the job done.

ALSO, next week he's playing what he said last night is his '5th major' this year. He's hosting The Irish Open. He'll have lots to do for that pre the event, so I'm sure he'll spending time between rounds sorting that out too this week. 

I'm actually going to check out what price he is to miss the cut this week.
  • edited May 2015

Ok ok I'm taking Rory on.... I'm backing them all ew:-

Donaldson 33/1 Molinari 33/1 Howell 50/1 Gallagher 80/1 Ormsby 125/1

25% Gallagher and Donaldson

20% Molinari and Howell

10% Ormsby

I'll also have a dabble on The Crowne Plaza too. Selections to follow tomoz (I've already taken the 90/1 Rodgers with Stan James)

Edit:- Gallagher a non runner. So topped up my bets on Donaldson 30/1 Molinari 30/1 and Howell 50/1, all ew.

• edited May 2015
    Molinari - 33/1
    Howell - 50/1
    Levy - 66/1

--------

Zach Johnson 14/1
    Paul Casey 33/1
    Kevin Na 33/1
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Wells Fargo + Open de Espana):
    Ok ok I'm taking Rory on.... I'm backing them all ew:- Donaldson 33/1 Molinari 33/1 Howell 50/1 Gallagher 80/1 Ormsby 125/1 25% Gallagher and Donaldson 20% Molinari and Howell 10% Ormsby I'll also have a dabble on The Crowne Plaza too. Selections to follow tomoz (I've already taken the 90/1 Rodgers with Stan James)
    Posted by joesman1
    Think skybet must have spies in here

Molinari 22/1 matchbook 34/1
    Donaldson 33/1 matchbook 34/1
    Howell 45/1 betfair 61/1
    Gallager 70/1 betfair 89/1
    Ormsby 80/1 betfair 332/1

Rodgers 50/1 betfair (back) at 94/1

I have seen somewhere although cant find it on sky so it may have been elsewhere a place only bet. Although its nice when one of these gents wins such as Fowler the other week we are backing these to make the top six more than anything else due to short odds on probable winner or am I missing the mark here.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Wells Fargo + Open de Espana) : Think skybet must have spies in here Molinari 22/1 matchbook 34/1 Donaldson 33/1 matchbook 34/1 Howell 45/1 betfair 61/1 Gallager 70/1 betfair 89/1 Ormsby 80/1 betfair 332/1 Rodgers 50/1 betfair (back) at 94/1 I have seen somewhere although cant find it on sky so it may have been elsewhere a place only bet. Although its nice when one of these gents wins such as Fowler the other week we are backing these to make the top six more than anything else due to short odds on probable winner or am I missing the mark here.
    Posted by aiken2001
    In short Mr Aiken.... Both..... I think we have more chance of getting Rory beat this week than last. Tougher field, plus all the hassle he's had to cope with this week too.

Did u make a profit last week?
  • edited May 2015
    BMW PGA Championships

Looking through results history and stats, its easy to see that 'ball strikers' do well around here and a high GIR is possibly THE key to winning this week.

If you look at where the player leading the GIR stats came each year, you can see for the last 6 years the player ranked first for GIR would have given you a payout:

Ranked First for GIR, Tournament Position
    2014 Gallacher - 5th
    2013 - Khan - 2nd
    2012 - Peter Lawrie - 4th
    2011 - Westwood - 2nd
    2010 - Khan - 1st
    2009 - Wall - 6th

So its not difficult to see why players like Khan, Manessero, F Molinari, Gallacher, Westwood, Donald, Aitken and Bjorn have played well around here.

Even working out you are looking for a player who can hit more greens than most, still leaves a short list of 30 -40 possible candidates, so to get to my shortlist I ruled out the tours number one GIR ranked player, some bloke called Rory and went on current form (for players not named Rory), soft spots and good old gut feelings :)

Danny Willett - 45/1, now the cats out of the bag thanks to his 3rd place finish at the world matchplay and the fact that he is still 2nd behind Rory in the R2D I had decided I would probably bypass Danny at 25/1.

Maybe I'm blinded by my soft spot for the guy or blinded by the fact that I'm on him for the R2D, or blinded by the fact that last time I backed him he was 3rd at 200/1, but I'm still a little gobsmacked that the bookies are offering 45/1 this week.

He has a 5th place finish here, he's a leading GIR candidate if the rain comes the course plays a little longer, he has the length of the tee to not worry about wet conditions. He has the game and the confidence, I'm on again, more R2D points please.

Shane Lowry 45/1, last season a second place finish in this event basically gave Lowry the launchpad to take his game to the next level and eventually make the world top 50. He had a previous top 10 here, so clearly likes the course.

Branden Grace 40/1, has some decent course form, two time winner this year, he looks to me if he is ready to win a big event like this, if he gets into contention he's certainly knows how to close out a tournament.

Tommy Fleetwood 66/1, excellent game tee to green, I think the only thing that's held him back from winning more often is that he doesn't hole enough putts. Looks to have a similar game as Manessero did when he won here. My tip to be number 1 ranked for GIR this week. Will that be enough for at least a place?

Joost Luiten - 80/1, more gut feeling than the others for Luiten. I joost think he's been close to hitting form, he's had a bit of mixed schedule playing on both tours and many players tend to struggle when they juggle.  He was 12th last year, but missed the cut the 3 previous years, so the gut may be playing up, but I've gone with it anyway.

To complete the portfolio I'll probably have one or two Golden Strike savers and no doubt have a dabble in the rags market.

Good Luck All

• edited May 2015
    Crowne Plaza International

It seems that for every tournament played in Texas, everyone clamors for the Texans and gets hung up on players who will theoretically handle the likely windy conditions.

I was going to be different, but my first pick here is in deed for a Texan, Jordan Spieth and Jimmy Walker are going to be popular but I've gone for the next Texan in the betting......

Ryan Palmer - 33/1, Palmer is a local resident he has some good course form, he has been playing very well this season, he's up there with the best for many a key stat. He's my Texan in Texas this week.

Paul Casey - 33/1, quality player back to his best, suffered with illness the night before his matchplay playoff with Rory resumed and had to pull out of The Players the week after. Should be refreshed and ready to go again, on a course that suits his game.

Ian Puolter - 40/1, I don't back Poulter very often, but he's been playing well this year, he plays well in windy conditions and in this field he must be fancying his own chances of getting that breakthrough win in a stroke play even in the States.

Charley Hoffman - 45/1, possibly for the first time in his career he is playing some quality golf for a sustained period. He has plenty of good finishes in Texas which can be significant. With the onus on tee to green play, the set up will suit Charley.

Chesson Hadley - 80/1, I've been waiting for a tournament or field like this to back Chesson Hadley. He's been making appearances on some top quality leaderboards recently. His best finish was tied 4th in Texas earlier this year, he won the Peurto Rico Open last year which is invariably played in windy conditions. The only blip is last year he shot two 77's to miss the cut by the odd 13 shots to finish 3rd from last, but he still beat Rickie Fowler by one and he doesn't seem to have done too badly recently.
  • edited May 2015
    In the USA, I've no strong opinion. I'm saving Spieth for The John Deere Classic, the week before our Open. I've already backed Rodgers ew @ 90/1. I was v impressed with him last week. My only other pick is Cameron Tringale ew @ 80/1. I'm putting 25% of my USA stake on each.

The other 50% is going on Gallagher to be the top Scot at Wentworth @ 7/2. If he wins that bet, I'm guaranteed a slight win on the week. 

Edit:- Stake returned on Gallagher, as he's a non runner. 
  • edited May 2015
    Racing Post big on Rory.... My man fancies him like fu@k..... Gulp
  • edited May 2015
    I think taking the long odds in bets without Rory makes some sense. Not a big hit on the odds, and obviously 2nd (if Rory wins) is a much better payout than an e/w 2nd place.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Wells Fargo + Open de Espana) : In short Mr Aiken.... Both..... I think we have more chance of getting Rory beat this week than last. Tougher field, plus all the hassle he's had to cope with this week too. Did u make a profit last week?
    Posted by joesman1
    50% profit on my bet alas went rory ew so missed out a bit of value there be nice for Rodgers to win this week.

• edited May 2015
    I've gone with Darties line of thinking with the GIR, and added a FRL. Led the GIR last year. Currently in 6th this year with 32 rounds counting! 4 of the 5 above him have only got 10 or fewer rounds recorded. Also showing good form. Oh and he came 7th last year. Thomas Aiken 66/1
  • edited May 2015

Decided to have a bash at the FRL market as well this week:

Branden Grace - 45/1
    Danny Willett - 50/1
    Tommy Fleetwood - 66/1
    Thomas Aitken - 66/1
    Matteo Manessero -66/1

• edited May 2015

With pre-tournament talk about what would be the best value to back a player to finish place only or in the Without Rory market, I tell you what would have been impressive...

If somebody had taken the 13/2 on Rory to miss the cut!!!

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Crowne Plaza + BMW PGA):
    With pre-tournament talk about what would be the best value to back a player to finish place only or in the Without Rory market, I tell you what would have been impressive... If somebody had taken the 13/2 on Rory to miss the cut!!!
    Posted by TheDart
    #goldenballsstrike.com
  • edited May 2015
    Very frustrating to be one week out picking Ann. But try as he did, Molinari didn't throw away the full place return, so it became a level week (ok Rory made it a winning one for me). So it's now 13 weeks on the trot with a return. Not quite the same ring to it.