You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited April 2016
    bets all done... as follows:

Rory Mcilory (win)
    Justin Rose (ew)
    Dust-bin Johnson (ew)
    Danny Willett (ew)

Westwood, Cabrera & Webb Simpson (FRL) (ew)

Good luck all.
  • edited April 2016
    More bets than normal because of 8 places on offer. I've done D.Willet  @ 55/1,J Rose @ 25/1,B.Haas @ 100/1,P.Reed @ 45/1,R.Fowler @ 16/1,and L.Oosthuizen @ 30/1.Good luck all.
  • edited April 2016
    Yep Fair play to skybet and their 8 places, they made sure I added to the portfolio;

Patrick Reed- 40/1, right game for Augusta and confidence clearly buoyed after finally getting a few putts to drop last Sunday.

Bill Haas - 100/1, Lost a play off last month and has very solid form here and at least capable of making top 8.

Rafa Cabrera- Bello - 100/1, debutants are readily dismissed at Augusta and for sure course form is a premium, but in recent times, first timers have gone close, Spieth, Day and Lieshman all going very close.

Rafa is playing the golf of his life this year and is finding new levels of consistency. He described his closing round last Sunday as his best round of the year. If he does settle quickly a top 8 finish is more than possible.

I will be backing a few of my picks for FRL, with main FRL bet being DJ at 20/1.

Good Luck everyone.
  • edited April 2016
    The Masters

My favourite tournament of the year and one where I have been very succcessful in the past with winners with Speith, Bubba, Scott, Mickelson, Cabrera (plus a RU), O Meara & Tiger several times. In fact I started my Blue Square (remember them) bankroll with a free bet on the Masters, getting a place at 33/1 on Luke Donald plus £30 free bets for each hole in one - there were three that year.

Usually I go in with a firm idea of my player(s) but this year is different with little to choose between a dozen good candidates. My bets are going to be relatively small although I have decent ante post prices on Scott (28/1) & Day (18/1) taken when they were both off the boil which means I already have some value.

The Augusta course favours big hitters, GIR players and putters. Tha ability to put long irons into the right spots to chase shots on the par fives is crucial and that makes it relatively easy to rule out over half the field at a stroke. The problem is that most of the better players tick the boxes.

Also, experience is key here. First time players rarely do well. The last first time winner was Fully Zoeller in 1979. While defending the title is tough, going back and winning again does happen a lot as the cream often reaches the top here. 

Cases can be argued for most of the top dozen in the betting so lets have a look at a few plusses & minuses.

I think we have to look at the value of the prices available and it is hard to see flaws in the bookies prices although the eight places on SKY Bet is a great offer.

Day (7/1), McIlroy (8/1), Speith (10/1) & Mickelson (20/1) represent poor value. They all have chances & I am happy to be on Day at double that price but 7/1 is skinny. There are too many questions about McIlroy & Speith to go at these prices. Speith's figures around the green are just nowhere near good enough to give him a tilt here and McIlroy still has question marks surrounding his putting. Mickelson looks in good shape and at 33/1, I would be punting but 20/1 is too tight for me.

Scott is about right at 12/1. He is a previous winner, is in form and meets most of the criteria to win it. Happy to be on at more than double that price but still think he has a great chance.

Bubba is similar to Scott. About right at 12/1. A previous winner and in form. There have been questions about his health but he has the ability to switch quickly to the golf after off course issues so not too bothered there. A great chance.

Fowler is probably the favourite to be a first time winner and meets most criteria and is priced right at 16/1. His form is up & down but if it is an "up week" then he will be close.

Dustin is 18/1 but he isn't a winner & bottles it when he gets close to a major. He has the atributes but I feel he will fall short. A great possiblitlity for FRL though as he has a habit of starting well in recent majors.

Rose meets most of the criteria and has three top ten finishes here. Can he win? His form suggests not but he could just jump into top gear like Scott & Day have in the last month and take the title.

After that, we are looking at medium to long shots and there are a few that I like.

Patrick Reed is in good form with two consecutive Top Ten finishes & looks ideal for the demands of the course. He has two previous appearances and is value each way at 45/1.

Brandt Snedeker at 55/1 is value. Loved the way he won the Farmer Insurance in February and feel that he could be the one to break through this week.

Rafael Cabrera Bello is one that doesn't meet all the criteria but is on a roll at the moment so might be worth a punt even as a rookie here at 110/1. He has improved around the greens this season so might surprise everyone if he gets on a roll.

Bill Haas is a lively outsider at 110/1. He has three consecutive top twenty finishes here and is in form so a top ten finish is likely.

It is the Masters so Angel Cabrera has to be considered. If one player over performs at Augusta then Cabrera is your man. He might be 46 but I have cashed on him twice at triple figure prices here when he was written off. He might do nothing but he might do a Red Rum and have one more day in the sun. A small investment at 200/1 is a must for me.

There are other long shots worthy of consideration - Wiesberger, Willett, Sullivan, Grillo & Dechambeau. I would be looking to swerve players like Stenson, Garcia and most rookies, who have little chance.

I feel the five highlighted give me a decent portfolio to back up my ante post bets on Day & Scott. There are a few decent bets to be had in other markets though.

I like a FRL bet but am not convinced of the advantages of tee times this year. Maybe an early start is worth half a shot but not enough to rule anyone out. I think 16/1 on Dustin Johnson is a fair price.

I like a bet in the "Top Continental European" market because I am anti the two market leaders - Stenson & Garcia. Don't get me wrong, both could be in the top ten but neither are reliable which makes this market value for the other players. I am writing off Langer, Langasque & Kjeldsen. Dubuisson & Lingmerth aren't consistent enough and Kaymer isn't enough of a winner for me. That leaves two candidates - RCB & Weisberger. So small investments on RCB at 8/1 & Weisberger at 12/1.

Some three ball winners for today - Wiesberger (Evens), Hoffman (Evens), Fowler (3/4), Mickelson (11/8), Rose (Evens), Scott (6/5), Horschel (11/10), Day (5/6), Willett (8/5). A few singles, a few multiples and a 700/1 rollup.

Good Luck!
  • edited April 2016
    Where do you get your prices from Ice? Or do you get them from different places. You always get good odds
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2016 Season! (THE MASTERS):
    Where do you get your prices from Ice? Or do you get them from different places. You always get good odds
    Posted by MP33
    I use oddschecker. Normally I look at Monday prices but for Majors then I like to get in with ante post bets so got lucky with the prices for Day & Scott. I had faith that both these players might come good into this event as they have class. You could argue the same with Rose as well.

Not sure my other prices are particularly great this week. SKY Bet's eight places offer is great & I have taken slightly lower prices to get the eight places on some bets.
  • edited April 2016
    Managed to get on Willet . Had him the other week when he narrowly missed out in another top quality field. Good to see many ppl backing him. Had a saver on Casey after his 1st round

• Paul Casey34 £5.00 £165.00
    • Danny Willett75 £4.00 £296.00
  • edited April 2016
    In the end I split my £30 roll for the week between DJ, Rose and Snedeker. I did it so that i return just over £300 if any of the 3 win, no prizes for a place.

Gl all.
  • edited April 2016
    I have decided to have a bet today(experts tips)
    Rory Mcllroy 11/2
    Jason Day 10/1
    Phil Mickleson 33/1
    Bubba Watson 80/1
     Rickie Fowler 500/1
  • edited April 2016
    Just laid Speith (-7) for £50 at EVs to cover bets . Layed him all the way through last year - It cant happen again - weather getting v,tricky as well - he,s got a lot of holes to go incl.amen corner
  • edited April 2016
    This masters could be the most exciting for years, going into the final round.love to see the pain and suffering fast greens and a little awkward wind bring to the mix.Cant stand watching dartboard golf on soft greens.I leave my bets to after the cut around here as we always lose top fancied players,but still get great value on the remaining players.Im on Day,matsuyama and kjeldsen.Day just gets on with it,kjeldsen can draw the ball but may lack the length,matsuyama is a very solid player but may not have the range of shots required today.Theres always a couple of players come out fast on the front nine from several shots behind,providing a very tricky inplay market.Yesterday was the first time id seen spieth (flap) even before his poor finish.It always comes down to the guy who can up and down it the most.Dont envy spieth playing behind langer, as he is a very slow player giving spieth maybe too much time, and maybe over think shots.lets hope that wind blooooooows i cant wait.
    Gl guys and gals with your bets.
  • edited April 2016
    This masters could be the most exciting for years, going into the final round.love to see the pain and suffering fast greens and a little awkward wind bring to the mix.Cant stand watching dartboard golf on soft greens.I leave my bets to after the cut around here as we always lose top fancied players,but still get great value on the remaining players.Im on Day,matsuyama and kjeldsen.Day just gets on with it,kjeldsen can draw the ball but may lack the length,matsuyama is a very solid player but may not have the range of shots required today.Theres always a couple of players come out fast on the front nine from several shots behind,providing a very tricky inplay market.Yesterday was the first time id seen spieth (flap) even before his poor finish.It always comes down to the guy who can up and down it the most.Dont envy spieth playing behind langer, as he is a very slow player giving spieth maybe too much time, and maybe over think shots.lets hope that wind blooooooows i cant wait. Gl guys and gals with your bets.
    Posted by chilling
    Not sure Langers pace will bother Spieth, I might be wrong but I've felt for some time that Spieth is already one of the slowest players out there?

Like you say, its already been a great tournament, lets hope today is just as good.

• edited April 2016
    I am very very happy, thank you Danny Willett and good night :-)
  • edited April 2016
    Snap! What an unbelievable final round - could have been -8!! 
  • edited April 2016
    I am very very happy, thank you Danny Willett and good night :-)
    Posted by TheDart

+1 Was so close the other week - Thoroughly deserved - Think he,s the forums favourite as well

(laid him toward the end but finished + £300 )

Back (Bet For)
    Odds
    Stake
    Profit
    • Danny Willett75 £6.00 £444.00
  • edited April 2016
    Thank you to the DW fan club on here.

A nice return and great golf.

Had a small bet on Speith after the 15th at good odds just to guarantee a very healthy profit.

Unfortunately DW won't be such a generous price in future.

Thanks again.
  • edited April 2016
    Well done Danny boy! I'm now going to work having had no sleep but I have to say it was worth staying up to watch, and now a few quid richer.Happy days from a paid up Danny Willett fan club member.
  • edited April 2016
    Very tired in the office today!!

who was on super Danny altogether?!!
  • edited April 2016
    Very tired in the office today!! who was on super Danny altogether?!!
    Posted by mrdavies
    Not sure exactly but i started tipping him after he was geting regularly tipped on here a while ago
  • edited April 2016
    Spanish Open

Back to the regular European Tour as the Spanish Open returns to Valdarama. Ths course tests all parts of the game but driving accuracy and GIR are the top two factors for me.

Difficult to predict how players who were at the Masters last week will do on their return to the circuit but this course has a reputation for providing quality winners.

Regular readers will know that I am not a Sergio Garcia fan from a betting perspective and the fact he is installed as a 6/1 favourite means there should be value elsewhere.

Rafa Cabrera Bello 14/1 

Far better value than Garcia. Has a good record on this course and has been in outstanding form this season.

Soren Kjeldsen 14/1

A great performance at the Masters and straight on to a course where he is ideally suited and has two runners up finishes. Should go close.

Alejandro Canizares 33/1

Have been impressed with him this season and on his home course, he can take advantage of local knowledge, which can count for a lot. The pressure might get to him or he might smash it. Could make a late run for a Ryder Cup place.

More to follow........
  • edited April 2016
    Spanish Open (Cont)

Gregory Havret 70/1

Another player who has performed well on this course and is in pretty decent nick at the moment with top ten finishes in his last two starts.

Richie Ramsey 66/1

A player who may slip under the radar but has a great record on this course with a game to suit. He has had a month off as he recently became a father, which is often viewed as a positive (Danny Willett).

Three for FRL - Tommy Fleetwood 70/1, Alex Noren 70/1 & Romain Wattel 100/1.

Good Luck!
  • edited April 2016
    RBC Heritage

This is played on the beautiful Harbour Town Golf Links which favours the shot makers. To win here takes accuracy off the tee, ability to hit the GIR, good scrambling and putting ability. 

The field is led by Jason Day who is a strong favourite at 6/1 with Snedker, Casey, Kuchar & Zach Johnson all less than 25/1. While Day is about right at that price, I think I am looking for players to take him on. If Day is at his best then we are probably playing for second place but he has a poor record on this course.

I think that Snedeker & Kuchar are both value shouts at 16/1 & 22/1 respectively but I am looking for a better price than 16/1 and I just don't have enough confidence in Kuchar to win it at this price but I think he will be thereabouts.

Matt Kuchar (Top Ten) 5/2

Kuchar is very reliable player for getting into contention. He converts making the cut into a high percentage of Top 25 finishes with a lot of Top Ten finishes. He doesn't make enough wins though so a bigger bet on a Top Ten finish on a course that should suit him seems the sensible approach.

Kevin Kisner 25/1

This is a course that suits some players & Kisner is one that is suited. He was runner up here last year, losing in a Playoff. He has since won on the PGA Tour and has impressive stats in the key areas thi season - 7th in driving accuracy & 3rd in putting. Should be close.

Matt Fitzpatrick 28/1

All the ducks are moving in line for Fitz as was shown by his 7th place at the Masters last week where he was first for GIR. Fitz says this is his favourite course. He was 23rd here two years ago but he is a much better player now. It might be a bit of a punt but I expect big things for him soon & don't want to miss out when he does.

Bryson Dechambeau 66/1

Another player I have been following for a while. Turned pro this week after winning the amateur prize at the Masters. I love his attitude & temperament and hope for a big performance here.

Webb Simpson 66/1

Runner up here in 2013 and getting back to his best form. Good value at this price.

KJ Choi 100/1

Thongchai Jaidee 200/1

Good Luck!
  • edited April 2016
    Nice one Ice...All on
  • edited April 2016
    Shenzehen International

We got full place winners last week on Dechambeau at 66/1 & Kjeldsen at 14/1 plus a part place on Kuchar for a Top Ten finish.

This week the European Tour moves to China and the Genzon Club. Bubba Watson heads the market ahead of last season's winner, Aphibarnrat & Luiten. Previous tournaments here don't give a clear pattern as to the strengths required. So that, and the possibility of an unknown local winner make me bet small here.

Tommy Fleetwood 25/1

Fleetwood has played here the last two years and finished 2nd & 3rd. That is good enough for a small investment at this price.

Scott Hend 50/1

Hend won the Thailand Classic last month and this course gives him a decent chance. He was 15th last year on his course debut & could go much better this year.

SSP Chawrasia 175/1

Won the Indian Open last month and is a great price to repeat that here on a couse that gives him a ahout in a not so strong field.

Good Luck!
  • edited April 2016
    Valero Texas Open

Bryson DeChambeau 25/1

Has been making us money all year from 350/1 down to 25/1 now. Not brilliant value but he is on the up so let's stick with him.

Aaran Baddeley 66/1

He has three top twenty finishes here from four starts so likes the course. A change of coach has seen an upturn in his form this season so he could go close.

KJ Choi 125/1

Older golfers tend to win here and KJ is a solid golfer who performs well when the wind gets up so is value at this price.

Good Luck!
  • edited April 2016
    missed your tips this week ice!! where has darty gone? he has left us in the lurch again..
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2016 Season! (Valero Texas Open & Shenzhen Int.):
    missed your tips this week ice!! where has darty gone? he has left us in the lurch again..
    Posted by mrdavies
    A strange thing happened to me after Danny Willett won The Masters, instead of going on massive positive tilt and eagerly waiting the next golf tournament, I found myself feeling a little flat and not really bothered about the golf the following week.

Not only was I a fan of Danny Willett via the bookies I was also a big sporting fan of the dedicated Englishman who promised big things.

I think it was because I'd put so much commitment into following Danny Willett over the last couple of years that when he went and won the big one and I was with him all the way, even topping up in running, there was a subsequent realization those punting highs may never be repeated and as his price for future majors was halved, a feeling on my part, of what next.

All of that plus the fact I was travelling with my day job meant I had very little time to follow the golf, so I took a break of sorts, though if I'm honest I did manage a couple of casual wagers last week.

So what to do now.

Well not much time to study this week and in China there is no course form for us to analyze.

But its China where I will cautiously suggest a new forum fan club.

A player I have tipped a couple of times already and that's South African Dean Burmester.

One of the traits that first drew me to Danny Willett was his confidence; almost from the outset he had bags of confidence, talked a good game and managed to back it up on the course.

Burmester has won plenty on the Sunshine Tour and talks as if he expects to do similar on the bigger stages such as the European Tour.

He seen players he regualrly beats like Brandon Stone and Hayden Porteous win on the European Tour so why shouldnt he be confident.

When I've seen him play he does seem to posses that extra little bit of self belief and expectancy to hit a good shot, that many golfers don't always show.

He doesn't have his European Tour card, but gets in this week thanks to his top 100 world ranking.

He's going to be at a disadvantage most weeks he plays an event, as he will be playing courses for the first time, thats no problem this week as its a new course for everyone.

What I have read about the course is that its a seriously long course, one of Dean Burmesters strengths just happens to be his ability hit it off the tee further than virtually every other player.

So Dean Burmester 40/1 ew outright and going out in the second group of the day, 50/1 FRL.

Good Luck All.

• edited April 2016
    China Open

Since my post on who I thought was relatively 'unknown' Dean Burmester I see he is one of the headline tips on Sporting Life and one of three players highlighted by the European Tours official fantasy site.

The bookies have also wised up and are pushing his price OUT, now available at 45-/1 and 50/1.

Added a couple of others to the portfolio:

Thorbjorn Olesen - 25/1, good result in China last week, sounding very confident and clearly playing well.

Peter Uihlein - 40/1, long course, wide fairways, will suit an aggressive strategy, if fit and focused Uihlein should go close this week.

Sebastien Gros - 125/1, two time winner on the Challenge Tour last year, decent results on the main tour this season, including a 19th place finish in China last week. He hits it a mile, so this course should suit. Looks overpriced.
  • edited April 2016
    Volvo China Open

A difficult one to assess as this course is used for the first time for this event so we have just a couple of minor events to go on and general form in China so I will be keeping bets small and going largely by current form.

It will probably take a score of close to -20 to win here so we need players that can rack up birdies without throwing away too many shots elsewhere. 

Joost Luiten is a deserved favourite at 10/1  and it is hard to see anyone more likely to win with Weisberger, Levy & Ross Fisher close behind. The most recent winners of this event have been Wu at 200/1, Levy at 150/1, Rumford at 50/1, Grace at 60/1 and Colsaerts at 80/1 so picking a winner isn't easy.

Joost Luiten 10/1

Luiten is the man in form with two second place finishes in his last two starts plus a sixth in Thailand last month. Should be right there and is the most likely winner this week.

Alex Noren 28/1

I have dabbled with Noren quite a bit and was impressed with his latest sixth placed finish in the Spanish Open and in a weaker field could triumph here.

Soomin Lee 35/1

Cannot help but be impressed how he held it together last week to claim his first European Tour victory. After blowing up in Malaysia a few weeks ago when clear, this time, he held firm. How will he fare this week? Not sure but at the price, he is worth a punt.

Scott Hend 35/1

Got us a place last week at 50/1 & is the kind of player suited to chasing a very low score. He won in Thailand last month and claimed fourh last week & has every chance of going close again.

Probably a 100/1 shot will come through & surprise us all again so keeping stakes low.
  • edited April 2016

Zurich Open

Unlike the China Open, there is plenty of course form here for us to analyze or ignore.

I say ignore, as I am skipping past obvious candidates at the head of the market.

Daniel Berger - 25/1, sixth on his debut here last year and seemingly coming into form.

Chris Kirk - 40/1, good all round game and makes more putts than most, looks ready for a big win.

Cameron Tringale - 50/1, very solid form here, including runner up last year and four top twenty finishes in the last 5 years.

Patton Kizzire - 50/1, I felt he might have won an event by now, last years money leader on the Web.com Tour has got himself into position a few times, last time out he was one off the lead with 9 holes to play, but fell away badly to finish 14th.

Good enough to get into position to have another crack at getting that maiden win on tour.