You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    RBC Heritage

Jason Day 2pts e/w @ 25/1
    Billy Horschel 2pts e/w @ 50/1

Open de Espana

Pablo Larrazabal 2pts e/w @ 25/1
    Matteo Manassero 2pts e/w @ 33/1

4 0.5pt e/w Doubles
  • edited April 2013
    Knew you wouldn't be able to resist going for Pablo again :-)
  • edited April 2013
    Open De Espana

Gonzo Castano - 14/1 - Taken poor odds with Gonzo, but that's because Skybet have decent odds for the rest of my picks. Really turning into a class golfer now and more than holding his own on the PGA tour this year, so with this field in his home country he should be a major threat!

Jimenez - 50/1 - Not played at all this year, so this is a bit of a wild-card pick, despite his age he still plays to a surprising high and consistant level, so could feature even without any form.

RBC Heritage

Luke Donald - 16/1 - Despite his apparent "Lack of form" this year, if you look at his results they are still decent finishes. Should find these greens easier than Augusta and the rest of his game isn't far away. In the past this course seems to favour short straight hitters.

Charley Hoffman - 66/1 - Can't let him go again this week. I mentioned him a fortnight ago but didn't bet on him and he came 3rd! Hopefully this week he can go that bit further.

50p e/w doubles on all
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Heritage + Open de Espana) Year Profit: -82.19pts:
    Knew you wouldn't be able to resist going for Pablo again :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    :D I know, so predictable lol

gl this week, hopefully 1 of us will get back to winning ways.
  • edited April 2013
    not really a clue on current form so gone for people who have done well in these before

Heritage Boo Weekly 33-1

Spanish open Simon Dyson 55-1
  • edited April 2013
    Open de Espana

No obvious course form to go on this week, so I figured Kristofer Broberg at 100/1 could be a good bet (and backed him) this week, based on the 'logic' that on his rookie season, most weeks he's up against at least half the field who have solid course experience, so this week could be more of a level playing field.

However after a bit of research I've come up with 3 new selections, all outsiders so ew first 5:

Mathew Baldwin - 70/1, 5th last time out, not the longest on tour, but this course is less than 7000 yards, so hopefully length off the tee won't be a factor, course is expected to play firm, with links feel and wind could be a factor. Baldwin grew up playing links golf and even in England must have more than his fair sure of playing on firm courses and has already shown himself capable of coping better than most with windy conditions.

Lee Slattery - 100/1, similar make up to Baldwin, though with a lot more experience. Slattery's only win on the tour came in Spain, he's a good wind and links player and has made a steady start to the season, hopefully he'll get the feel good factor for this course and venue.

Eduardo De La Riva - 175/1, been around as a pro for 11+ years, his rookie season on tour was 2002, but to date has never quite 'made it'. Missed the cut in his last 4 events on tour. So why back him this week?
    Finished 9th at tour school to win his card for this year, finished 2nd (be it reduced to 36 holes) to Scott Jamieson in his first event of the season. Played on the challenge tour last year and won an event in Spain, Canary Islands to be precise, beating Simon Wakefield.
    Best results have come on Spanish soil, he also came 3rd in the Andalucia Open last year, finishing ahead of the likes of Jiminez, Lynn, Jaquelin, Lowry and Siem.
    The fact that he has remained a pro for 10+ years and not spent that much time on the main tour, I'm going with the perception that he will have been playing a lot of lower level tournaments in Spain and so will have had the time and opportunity to gain some decent course experience.
    Finally he's close friends with Pablo Larrazabal, so should be feeling comfortable and well at home this week.

• edited April 2013
    RBC Heritage

I'm not even looking at all those stats on the pga tour this week, I'm going with a simpler plan, course form and gut instinct!

Boo Weekley - 40/1,The Heritage appears to be a horses for courses more than most tournaments, so Boo Weekley ticks that box with his only tour win coming here, he didn't have a great season last year but still managed tied 6th in this event. This year he look's to be getting back to his best and already has a 2nd place finish, should give me a good run for money this week.

Brian Gay - 66/1, another previous winner of The Heritage and having a good season this year with one win already, never in contention but best finish in The Masters last week, so the games in good shape, good ew value at 66/1.

Tim Clark - 66/1, this pick comes from the gut more than anything else, my gut tells me this course should suit Clark and he's playing well at the moment. That said his recent course form is not that great, you have to go back to 2006 for his best finish which was tied 7th, this was the week after Clark finished 2nd in The Masters. Tim Clarks' best finish in The Masters since 2006 was last week with a very creditable tied 11th, so I like the fact that this year Clark comes to the Heritage in good nick.
  • edited April 2013
    RBC

Jason Day             @25/1 ew      
    In good form and hoping he gets boost from masters - although odds have probably taken a hit because of it to.
    Bill Haas               @40/1 ew      
    Solid masters and pretty good results so far in 2013
    Greame Mcdowell   @40/1ew     
    I just cant get off the gmac ship!! he's never played it before (didnt check before 2008). I think he played better at the masters than his score reflected and he's in reasonably good form so far this season.
    Robert Garrigus     @66/1 ew      
    No real rhyme or reason to this one. his results and masters werent bad and what i seen of him he seemed to swinging well
    Richard Sterne       @80/1 ew      
    Again just an instinct thing.

Will post my open de espana bets up when i put them on.

On another note found a good link for accessing pga tour results in case anybody else is interested. Gives full leaderboard results going back to 1977:

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/schedule?season=2013
  • edited April 2013
    Hey JD, good too see a new punter here. 
    Yeah I,ve noticed that site before. Really good for when the PGA tour site just crashes when you try and swat up on the next weeks tournie.

Are u a regular golf better? Or has the masters just got you into it?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Heritage + Open de Espana) Year Profit: -82.19pts:
    Hey JD, good too see a new punter here.  Yeah I've noticed that site before. Really good for when the PGA tour site just crashes when you try and swat up on the next weeks tournie. Are u a regular golf better? Or has the masters just got you into it?
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Hi flash thanks for the welcome. I bet quite regularly on golf last year but not every week by any means. Bet on it mainly just to keep my interest on any golf that's on tv really and I only put on small bets. Was a keen golfer myself but had our second little one and got married last year so that put an end to my illustrious golf career :(

I mainly stick to the bigger tournaments but because i have a little bit of winnings from the masters thought i'd have another go this week lol. If i dont win anything i'll probably wait until the us open to have another go. Had quite a good year last year with good wins on Mcilroy winning the pga and els winning the open.

What about yourself you bet on it most weeks?
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah I bet on it pretty much every week. Someones got to keep Skybet in buisness!

As I bet on it every week it's hard to keep track of if your up or down. Last year I think I was probably up as I had some decent wins on people like Freddie Jacobsen and the best was picking out Ricardo Santos at 80/1. This year I've kept records. The PGA tour seems to be where I do better. Although this year is pretty pants! Barely a penny back on the European tour and about even on the PGA (after my collapse at the Masters).

With all bets and doubles I normally bet about £30 a week. The Masters I doubled that with no return so that's hurt a bit... Got a good feeling about Castano though this week ;-)
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah I bet on it pretty much every week. Someones got to keep Skybet in buisness! As I bet on it every week it's hard to keep track of if your up or down. Last year I think I was probably up as I had some decent wins on people like Freddie Jacobsen and the best was picking out Ricardo Santos at 80/1. This year I've kept records. The PGA tour seems to be where I do better. Although this year is pretty pants! Barely a penny back on the European tour and about even on the PGA (after my collapse at the Masters). With all bets and doubles I normally bet about £30 a week. The Masters I doubled that with no return so that's hurt a bit... Got a good feeling about Castano though this week ;-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    yeah euro tour i dont have a clue about anymore really the fields are so much weaker than the pga. I've just added my euro tour bets:

Larrazabal @ 20/1
    Cabrerra-Bello @33/1

No great thinking on these - they're both spanish and half decent players lol I fancy Castano too but his odds just put me off.

Put my 2 in 4 ew doubles with Mahan and Simpson. Thinking here is that Mahan and Simpson are both decent players usually but had a very poor masters and beginning to the season in general so their odds are better than normal, they'll have had more time to prepare for this than most of the other big players and they have to turn their form round sooner or later lol Doubles are always a long shot in golf anyway.

So total bet for RBC and Espana is £20. So got a wee bit to play with from my winnings (£35) from the masters for some in play fun or last minute punts lol
  • edited April 2013
    Good week in the end last week thanks to Scott winning.
    Gone for Van Pelt,Gay and Pettersson this week @ 40/1,66/1 and 66/1
    Look at Euro jobbie later.
  • edited April 2013
    Good week in the end last week thanks to Scott winning. Gone for Van Pelt,Gay and Pettersson this week @ 40/1,66/1 and 66/1 Look at Euro jobbie later.
    Posted by jackda
    Well done Jackda, I just had a look at your picks for The Masters, didn't you get a place on Day and Woods as well?

Hope your good run continues this week with Brian Gay :)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Heritage + Open de Espana) Year Profit: -82.19pts : Well done Jackda, I just had a look at your picks for The Masters, didn't you get a place on Day and Woods as well? Hope your good run continues this week with Brian Gay :)
    Posted by TheDart
    Yeah cheers dart.Tbh nearly backed Cabrera from the start as well but went with Van Pelt instead.Can't complain though obv just hope it continues.
    Gl 
  • edited April 2013
    so after checking out my bets for the rbc and open espana i decided to look at the us open odds which has led me putting on a treble for the last 3 majors lol

US open             Fowler           50/1
    Open Champ      Oosthuizen    33/1
    PGA                   Snedeker      25/1 (had to request this one over the phone)

£1 ew.

Before placing the bet I decided to check the potential winnings etc which made me feel that if two won and one placed £700 seemed a bit rubbish as I'd only win the place part of it.

This led me to discovering a different each way bet I never knew about.......equally divided. This now means (assuming they all place) if one wins I get £880, if two win I get £4k and if all three roll in I get £22k. The normally each way bet would see me get £45k if they all win or £700 if they all place. With the equally divided bet I'm better off if at least one of them wins but worse off if they all win or all just place (no winners). The things you learn lol it's got no chance anyway!

Anybody else done one of these before?
  • edited April 2013
    Do you mean a Trixie? 

I too am favouring Louis for the Open championship... His performance at the Masters was not a great confidence boost, being beaten by a 14 year old boy and missing the cut, but the Open is a long way off yet, and he has plenty of time to get back into form. I've already had a couple of bets on him for this, if poker keeps behaving itself like it has been lately then I'll keep adding too it.
  • edited April 2013
    Do you mean a Trixie?  I too am favouring Louis for the Open championship... He performance at the Masters was not a great confidence boost, being beaten by a 14 year olf boy and missing the cut, but the Open is a long way off yet, and he has plenty of time to get back into form. I've already had a couple of bets on him for this, if poker keeps behaving itself like it has been lately then I'll keep adding too it.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    No a trixie (from a quick google) is like 4 separate bets (3 doubles, a treble).

With the equally divided ew bet it splits the returns made from the previous result and places that on the next event/race etc

so say if put an equally divided ew treble on 3 events for £1 ew (total stake £2). First player is 10/1 odds. if i win first event I win 14.5. This 14.5 is then split in two i.e. 7.25 and put each way on the next event. and so on.

Tried to find an easier explanation online and this is the best i could find lol
    http://www.strategicbetting.co.uk/blog/articles/the-each-way-equally-divided-method-explained/

Basically means if i feel that it's likely 1 will win and the others "might" win i'm better off with this type of ew bet.
  • edited April 2013
    Well that's great to read! Both my picks for the Open De Espana have said they aren't really up for it this week and are only playing it because it's in Spain and they love the course. Let's hope they finish the week with a nice surprise!
  • edited April 2013
    Well that's great to read! Both my picks for the Open De Espana have said they aren't really up for it this week and are only playing it because it's in Spain and they love the course. Let's hope they finish the week with a nice surprise!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Wouldn't fill me with confidence lol

1 of mine has got the kiss of death by being the skybet golf experts tip! Looking forward to it all kicking off again tomorrow - as long i get a bit of a sweat with my picks on the sunday I'll be reasonably happy! Nothing worse than your picks being out of contention by before the weekend! 
  • edited April 2013
    Dont really put much effort into my European selections cos cant always watch it.Therefore just put a couple of quid on the racing post selections,Horsey and Webster @ 25/1 and 50s.Plus Grillo,Parry and Wakefield @ 80/1,150/1 and 150/1 all £1 ew.
    Best of luck everyone
  • edited April 2013
    ive also gone Boo Weekley 40/1 and Brian Gay 50/1 , but in the 1st round markets both e/w 
  • edited April 2013
    Well I've just ballsed some bets up! I wanted to do some outsiders for the 1st round leader market and also put them in a double. Only £1 e/w bets for the craic.

I put on Kohles and Harris English in the Heritage, but then meant to pick Peter Uihlein but accidently picked the outright market. So I now have Uihlein as outright winner in Spain and in doubles as well as 1st round leader... 
  • edited April 2013
    Late declaration of fancies this week. Done Horsey and Lowry ew 33 & 40/1. And an outsider to back them up Havret 135/1 ew. Just doing Donald @ 16/1 ew in the USA. No doubles this week. 

Gl everyone
  • edited April 2013
    ROFL @ my Euro picks, wtf happened.

Good start from Day though :D
  • edited April 2013
    ROFL @ my Euro picks, wtf happened. Good start from Day though :D
    Posted by splashies
    lol, yeah not the bets start for you! 
  • edited April 2013
    Not a bad day 1 for my team

Rbc
    Day.              -4.      T4
    Haas.           -3.     T7
    Garrigus.     -1        T31
    McDowell    E        T58
    Sterne          +5      who cares lol

Espana
    Cabrerra-bello.    E.      (-1 thru 2 on day 2 as I write this).  T25
    Larazabaal.          +5.   What the **** happened lol

My doubles with my two espana picks and Mahan and Simpson still isn't dead yet either with those two -3 after round 1. 

Of my 7 two have played themselves out of it already barring a miracle but the rest are either right in it or are within a few shots of the lead. gmac needs a good friday
  • edited April 2013
    Not a bad day 1 for my team Rbc Day.              -4.      T4 Haas.           -3.     T7 Garrigus.     -1        T31 McDowell    E        T58 Sterne          +5      who cares lol Espana Cabrerra-bello.    E.      (-1 thru 2 on day 2 as I write this).  T25 Larazabaal.          +5.   What the **** happened lol My doubles with two espana picks and Mahan and Simpson still is dead yet either with those two -3 after round 1.  Of my 7 two have played themselves out of it already barring a miracle but the rest are either right in it or are within a few shots of the lead. gmac needs a good friday
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Decent start for me also..

My 1st round leaders were pants, Uihlein missed out by 1 shot, the others were nowhere.

Overall picks. Hoffman 1 shot behind the lead on -5, and Donald steady start on -2.
    Castano right up there in Span, Jimenez turned out to be a waste of money...
  • edited April 2013
    Yes, nice starts JD and Flash.

Strange first day in Spain, a lot of big names struggled, but the leaderboard is very bunched, so some players may still be in it that earlier yesterday looked out of it, if you see what I mean.

After reading the weather forecast, which suggested a fairly benign morning followed by high winds and rain in the afternoon I backed a couple of players in running last night, that had early tee times.

Mark Warren 60/1 who is 2 under for his round and tied for the lead after 9, so probably about to go on a bogey run now I've posted the bet on here.

The other one was Mark Tullo 100/1, who is sadly +2 for his round and +1 after 7 holes.

Edit: I have no idea if the weather forecast has or is turning out be accurate!
  • edited April 2013
    Not a bad day 1 for my team Rbc Day.              -4.      T4 Haas.           -3.     T7 Garrigus.     -1        T31 McDowell    E        T58 Sterne          +5      who cares lol Espana Cabrerra-bello.    E.      (-1 thru 2 on day 2 as I write this).  T25 Larazabaal.          +5.   What the **** happened lol My doubles with my two espana picks and Mahan and Simpson still isn't dead yet either with those two -3 after round 1.  Of my 7 two have played themselves out of it already barring a miracle but the rest are either right in it or are within a few shots of the lead. gmac needs a good friday
    Posted by jdsallstar
    My gmac ship has finally left the harbour - 3under through 9 and t7. Still got 9 holes to give them all back but making good progress