You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited July 2013
    My main tip this week is Rory Sabbatini in the Reno-Tahoe. It's all about birdies and his total birdies and average birdies stats are very good! He also finished with the lowest round on Sunday. Ticks all the boxes IMO.

WGC Bridgestone

Matt Kuchar - 25/1
    Steve Stricker - 33/1

Reno-Tahoe

Rory Sabbatini - 33/1
    Andres Romero - 33/1
  • edited July 2013
    wp jd and joesman for binking seats in totp.

not sue if i'll be betting this week as i'm off on hol end of week.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (WGC Bridgestone) Year Profit: +554.96pts:
    wp jd and joesman for binking seats in totp. not sue if i'll be betting this week as i'm off on hol end of week.
    Posted by splashies
    cheers splash looking forward to it!! enjoy the holiday!

Haven't done my bets either because haven't got round to joining another site yet lol prob be betfair though because my bro sent me a refer a friend promo.

my bets will be:

WGC
    Kuchar     - looks like his game is in great shape at the moment     £5ew
    Johnson   - another who's form has steadily been improving           £5ew

Just for fun in the reno Tahoe and champions tour I'm gonna do some doubles and trebles with my bridgestone picks.

Renoe Tahoe
    chad Campbell
    sabbatini

Champions Tour
    Duffy Waldorf
    Jay Haas

so that's 24 10p ew doubles and 12 10p ew trebles for a total stake of £4 lol
  • edited July 2013
    WGC

Tiger Woods 9/2
    Steve Stricker 30/1
    Keegan Bradley 35/1
    Jim Furyk 50/1

Renhoe Tahoe

JJ Henry 28/1
    Andreas Romero 30/1
    Josh Teater 40/1
  • edited August 2013
    Just realised Reno Tahoe uses a modified stableford scoring lol must do better research!! 

Not sure how it would have affected my bets anyway.
  • edited August 2013
    so i take it all the bookie chappies will be running a without Tiger market next week? gonna need to seemingly ........ 
  • edited August 2013
    It's looking like it's all over isn't it.

I wish the other comp was with Romero leading at the moment :-)
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (WGC Bridgestone) Year Profit: +554.96pts:
    WGC Tiger Woods 9/2 Steve Stricker 30/1 Keegan Bradley 35/1 Jim Furyk 50/1 Renhoe Tahoe JJ Henry 28/1 Andreas Romero 30/1 Josh Teater 40/1
    Posted by wynne1938
    Looking good for me at the moment!
  • edited August 2013
    Nice... have you put them in doubles?
  • edited August 2013
    Grrrrr had a feeling Woods would go silly this week. 
  • edited August 2013
    Nice... have you put them in doubles?
    Posted by FlashFlush
    No,just singles
  • edited August 2013
    sure your tiger moneys in the bank anyway and romero going well 
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (WGC Bridgestone) Year Profit: +554.96pts : cheers splash looking forward to it!! enjoy the holiday! Haven't done my bets either because haven't got round to joining another site yet lol prob be betfair though because my bro sent me a refer a friend promo. my bets will be: WGC Kuchar     - looks like his game is in great shape at the moment     £5ew Johnson   - another who's form has steadily been improving           £5ew Just for fun in the reno Tahoe and champions tour I'm gonna do some doubles and trebles with my bridgestone picks. Renoe Tahoe chad Campbell sabbatini Champions Tour Duffy Waldorf Jay Haas so that's 24 10p ew doubles and 12 10p ew trebles for a total stake of £4 lol
    Posted by jdsallstar
    my doubles and trebles still have a chance of the ew bits. Johnson top 5 already, Jay has sittin t4 with other two t4's playing the par 5 18th eek and Sabatini sitting t7 thru 6. come on!!! lol

edit: haas guaranteed top 5 now! unfortunately Johnson in dead heat (3 players for 2 places). haas could be the same scenario.

Sabatini missed out on top 5 by 1 point grrrrrr. Got the ew double for Johnson and haas so got my money back lol
  • edited August 2013

I had plenty of study time last week and identified a 'long short list' of players that I thought would be suited to the East Course at Oak Hill this week and was full of confidence, but after reading the conflicting comments of Steve Bamford and Ben Coley my confidence is taking a bit of a hit.

Ben Coley says....accurate but relatively short hitters can / have competed on this course.

Steve Bamford believes......anyone who drives the ball less than 290 yards can't compete here.

If thats the case you would be discounting everyone below Lee Westwood on the PGA driving distance stats and that equates to roughly half the field.

Yet Phil Mickleson is quoted as saying that 290 yards is the 'cut off' distance for the tee shot on many of the holes and I'm sure Butch Harmon has said the players won't be relying on driver as much as they do on a regular week.

Long or short, it looks like accuracy will be a premium, I read a GMac comment last week where he said the rough was really severe.

Sounds similar to a US Open set up, but if lack of length off the tee is an issue, then players like GMac may be at a disadvantage.

What's everyone else's thoughts at this stage?

• edited August 2013
    Anyway my stragegy for Majors, is back a few selections ante-posts and then once I've digested all the information available during the week of the major, i will either add players to my portfolio or if my confidence grows and the value is still there for any of my ante post picks I might increase those bets.

Then I always go for my weakness which is a handful of players at 3 figure odds.

So, my ante post picks are:

Henrik Stenson - 30/1, only just an ante post bet as I backed him yesterday before the final round and only just a 'value bet', only beaten by Phil Mickleson and Tiger Woods in his last 3 events, if he can maintain that level of form and his consistency from tee to green, must go close again.

Keegan Bradley - 50/1, I've been really impressed with the way he handles himself when he gets into contention, ranked 3rd for total driving and looks to be playing himself into form, backed up by his tied 2nd last week.

Charl Schwartzel - 50/1, I've not backed him or particularly fancied him all year and his bad habit of throwing in one bad round in 4 is a concern, but he gets my vote this week, thanks mainly to his ability to find the green more than most from 200+ yards, his big game mentality and his ew value at 50/1.

Martin Kaymer - 80/1, For the last 6 weeks or so, I feel I have the opposite opinion to the 'experts' about Martin Kaymer, the popular opinions seem to be that he's lost his game, he shouldn't have tried to change his swing, he's not the player he was and so on.

I actually think he is / will be a better player for the work he did on his swing, I think he has been playing much better than his pga tour stats suggest, he's played a selective schedule this year, which I believe will benefit him from now until the end of the year and as his tied 9th last week suggests, he is actually coming into form.

Graham DeLaet - 200/1, where accuracy will be a premium, it can't be a bad thing to be ranked number one for total driving and number one for GIR. Had a very good season, which moved to the next level by qualifying for his first major, The Open, made the cut but struggled at the weekend and followed that up with a missed cut at his National Open, a tournament he has never played will in. Well rested and plays well when fresh. History shows that a long shot can win the PGA, Delaet has more game than most to pull the shock off.
  • edited August 2013
    I have a terrible record in all WGC's and Majors, so I think I'm going to draw a line through this week, put a average bet on Woods win only and just watch.
  • edited August 2013
    was gonna do the without tiger market but thought to hell with it and have just done standard outright. had funds on here so prices skinny enough but sure. 

1ST ROUND   HENRIK STENSON 33/1   £5 E/W
                       BILL HAAS          50/1    £5 E/W
                       HARRIS ENGLISH  80/1  £3 E/W 

OUTRIGHT    BILL HAAS      55/1       £10 E/W
                       HARRIS ENGLISH 100/1 £5 E/W 
  • edited August 2013
    just looking at my account and I already have some bets I put on before/during british open:

Kuchar 36/1
    McDowell 34/1
    Stenson 66/1 (that looks a pretty decent bet now at those odds)
    Haas 80/1
    Cabrera 100/1

might put a 5 quid on first round leaders or might put on some doubles/trebles with any other events on lol

oh and I have a no deposit £10 free bet for signing up to betfred to use on someone! might go Zach Johnson, duffner or Bradley (he seems to like this time of year) with this.
  • edited August 2013
    Luke Donald 35/1
    Rory McIlroy 33/1
    Matt Kuchar 30/1
    Brandt Sneeker 28/1
     £5 e/w on each
    Phil Micklson 16/1 £10 ew

Tiger woods 4/1 £40 win

PGA Championship 2013
  • edited August 2013
    First round leader bets

Keegan Bradley      40/1
    Thomas Bjorn       150/1
    David Lingmerth    150/1
    Matt Jones            175/1

£1 ew
  • edited August 2013
    My Lively Outsiders, all short-listed after some in depth analysis are:

Ryan Moore - 110/1
    Boo Weekley - 200/1
    Chris Kirk - 200/1
    Ryan Palmer -200/1
    Matt Jones - 250/1
    Jimmy Walker - 250/1

All each way first 6
  • edited August 2013
    My Lively Outsiders, all short-listed after some in depth analysis are: Ryan Moore - 110/1 Boo Weekley - 200/1 Chris Kirk - 200/1 Ryan Palmer -200/1 Matt Jones - 250/1 Jimmy Walker - 250/1 All each way first 6
    Posted by TheDart
    Having watched Matt Jones a couple of times I think he's got bags of potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1Wv3UG1Kg

Pretty textbook swing that you cant see too much going wrong with.

Not sure he's ready to win one of these yet but you never know. I've included him in my first leader bets anyway.
  • edited August 2013
    I had plenty of study time last week and identified a 'long short list' of players that I thought would be suited to the East Course at Oak Hill this week and was full of confidence, but after reading the conflicting comments of Steve Bamford and Ben Coley my confidence is taking a bit of a hit. Ben Coley says....accurate but relatively short hitters can / have competed on this course. Steve Bamford believes......anyone who drives the ball less than 290 yards can't compete here.   If thats the case you would be discounting everyone below Lee Westwood on the PGA driving distance stats and that equates to roughly half the field. Yet Phil Mickleson is quoted as saying that 290 yards is the 'cut off' distance for the tee shot on many of the holes and I'm sure Butch Harmon has said the players won't be relying on driver as much as they do on a regular week. Long or short, it looks like accuracy will be a premium, I read a GMac comment last week where he said the rough was really severe. Sounds similar to a US Open set up, but if lack of length off the tee is an issue, then players like GMac may be at a disadvantage. What's everyone else's thoughts at this stage?
    Posted by TheDart

Just checked the Steve Bamford website and seems I no longer need be confused.

It would appear Steve Bamford has removed (without explanation) the section about ruling out any one with driving stats below 290.

Fans of Francesco Molinari, Greame Mcdowell, etc, look away now, were his initial comments in giving them no chance due to their relative shorter distance off the tee.

Seems he's had a change of heart with 3 out of his 5 players being ranked outside the top 100 for driving distance.

I'd not really taken any notice of this website until he was on the SkyPoker show before The Open, (where he suggested Phil Mickleson couldn't win The Open as he had just won the Scottish Open).

I see in 2013 he has only managed to tip one winner in Tiger Woods at 3/1.

Think I'll be thinking twice before taking notice of Steve Bamford again.

That said he'll probably tip the winner this week :)

• edited August 2013
    yeah good point, but id kind of figured this out meself with Bill Haas as hes on avg about 288/289 but Shaun Micheel was the same when he won it so even though Bamford initially highlighted doubts that WILL it play that short (just over 7000 yards compared to more familiar par 70 course 7400 or whatever) then hes clearly weighed up that it just might. seemingly! 
  • edited August 2013
    yeah good point, but id kind of figured this out meself with Bill Haas as hes on avg about 288/289 but Shaun Micheel was the same when he won it so even though Bamford initially highlighted doubts that WILL it play that short (just over 7000 yards compared to more familiar par 70 course 7400 or whatever) then hes clearly weighed up that it just might. seemingly! 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    Yeah, just a bit narked I let his comments sway me a little last week, in ruling out GMac and a few others.

He was using comparisons to Firestone and I understood a long time ago that players like Gmac just can't compete there.

Plus I would have liked to have seen an explanation in his column, along the lines of 'after ruling out anyone who drives the ball less than 290 yards, I've had a rethink and decided my initial thoughts were wrong', he'd get much more respect and trust, rather than delete and pretend I never said it stance.

Anyway I appreciate its all 'free knwoledge' and we can take it, leave it or use as we so decide.

Actually he may have done me a favour, if I'd backed GMac last week, he was a best priced 50/1, he's now out to 66/1, so if I add him to my portfolio now, I'm getting value.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (WGC Bridgestone) Year Profit: +554.96pts : Having watched Matt Jones a couple of times I think he's got bags of potential. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1Wv3UG1Kg Pretty textbook swing that you cant see too much going wrong with. Not sure he's ready to win one of these yet but you never know. I've included him in my first leader bets anyway.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Probably ten years ago or more, he was tipped as Australia's 'next big thing', I'm not too sure what went wrong.

I think he had a few injuries and obviously lost his way.

He's had bits of form over the years, but this year he's starting to look like the real deal, I backed him at 250/1 when he was second last month, so he's one of my favourites at the moment.

He pulled out of the Canadian Open with a DNS, I'm not sure what the problem was there?

Like you say to compete in this event over 4 days is a big ask and you may be right, that the first round leader market is the better option.
  • edited August 2013
    i havent checked who hes put up yet so ill have a jeff jook now. has he put up gmac????
  • edited August 2013
    i havent checked who hes put up yet so ill have a jeff jook now. has he put up gmac????
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    NO GMac.

To be fair he's put up some decent selections with good justifications and explanations.

None of which I've backed!
  • edited August 2013
    see he copied my shout on Harris!!!!  ; ) 
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (WGC Bridgestone) Year Profit: +554.96pts : Yeah, just a bit narked I let his comments sway me a little last week, in ruling out GMac and a few others. He was using comparisons to Firestone and I understood a long time ago that players like Gmac just can't compete there. Plus I would have liked to have seen an explanation in his column, along the lines of 'after ruling out anyone who drives the ball less than 290 yards, I've had a rethink and decided my initial thoughts were wrong', he'd get much more respect and trust, rather than delete and pretend I never said it stance. Anyway I appreciate its all 'free knwoledge' and we can take it, leave it or use as we so decide. Actually he may have done me a favour, if I'd backed GMac last week, he was a best priced 50/1, he's now out to 66/1, so if I add him to my portfolio now, I'm getting value.
    Posted by TheDart
    Morning Dart. Just picking up on what you said above - is that purely just a length of the tee thing? just curious in case there's something else i'm missing for future events.